Big question about the consult's intentions.

• 95 Replies

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2019, 09:39:25 pm »
I searched the entire series and I could not find a reference to an "oar" in relation to the Ark.  So, I'm genuinely unsure what people are trying to construe that as.
Are you sure you haven't missed anything in your search?
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=2408.msg39660#msg39660

As I quoted earlier, it's not only in the Glossary.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2019, 09:54:12 pm »
Cracking stuff!
I wonder if the destruction of the Canted Horn (I’ve always struggled to visualise that) and what seems to read as the gutting of the Upright Horn (Kellus/Ajokli stamping, which I read as causing the collapse on Skuthula and Serwa) has an adverse effect on the efficacy of the NG... meh, it’s strangely tempting to try and guess, despite the futility.

I don't think so.  That is, not any more than the crashed, dead/dying Ark already did/does.

I'd imagine that the fully functioning Ark engaging the No-God apparatus though, would have been very different though.  But once the Sarcophagus is in "manual boot mode" by the Consult millenia later, I think the functionality of Ark is vastly divorced from that of the No-God.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Nichamian

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2019, 12:22:28 am »
‘I'd imagine that the fully functioning Ark engaging the No-God apparatus though, would have been very different though.  But once the Sarcophagus is in "manual boot mode" by the Consult millenia later, I think the functionality of Ark is vastly divorced from that of the No-God.’

(Sorry to copy and paste -  I’ve not quite fathomed the functionality of the site on a mobile yet)

I’m inclined to agree. Once you’ve got the shoddy lawnmower to start, it can still go like a dream.

Pretty harrowing to consider what befell the other worlds, when a fully-functioning Ark arrived in orbit and a fully populated Holy Swarm descended.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2019, 12:27:36 pm »
(Sorry to copy and paste -  I’ve not quite fathomed the functionality of the site on a mobile yet)

Yeah, on mobile things don't run great, when I have to be on my phone, I just force it to the desktop site in Chrome.

I’m inclined to agree. Once you’ve got the shoddy lawnmower to start, it can still go like a dream.

Pretty harrowing to consider what befell the other worlds, when a fully-functioning Ark arrived in orbit and a fully populated Holy Swarm descended.

I'd imagine it as pretty close to industrialized death.  Just with vastly more suffering and over-the-top violence.  I actually think that if Ark didn't crash and die (or die and crash), Earwa would have been very much doomed from the get go.  It's only that the Inchoroi are left to try to run the operation that it fails so spectacularly. 
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2019, 02:52:53 pm »
Yeah million/billion of Inchoroi with fully functioning scifi tech would have outmatched Earwa. Their reluctance to not blow up the world in pursuit of eden would have given the Nonmen a fighting chance with the first few battles, but I imagine that at some point they'd have either figured out how to safely graft magic usage, or made magic using weapon's races to kill the locals. If that didn't work, I think "fuck it, the trees will grow back, engage orbital bombardment" would have settled things. I mean, they planned to live there forever... Which is plenty of time to regrow some mountains post kinetic or laser based weapons bombardments.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2019, 03:15:59 pm »
Yeah million/billion of Inchoroi with fully functioning scifi tech would have outmatched Earwa. Their reluctance to not blow up the world in pursuit of eden would have given the Nonmen a fighting chance with the first few battles, but I imagine that at some point they'd have either figured out how to safely graft magic usage, or made magic using weapon's races to kill the locals. If that didn't work, I think "fuck it, the trees will grow back, engage orbital bombardment" would have settled things. I mean, they planned to live there forever... Which is plenty of time to regrow some mountains post kinetic or laser based weapons bombardments.

Yeah, there is no "proof" but I think Ark, alive, is the Progenitors or at least, heir to Progenitor-class knowledge.  As such, Ark likely contained the sum-total generational, cultural knowledge that was off the charts comparatively.  If it wasn't the Progenitors themselves, I imagine it was still an AI of massive power.  Of course though, like anything else, that didn't make it incapable of failure.  In fact, might have even made it more prone to it's own condition of death, in reality.

Still, I think fully functioning, it could have reverse engineered the Nonmen from scratch, devised manners and ways to undo them that were vast more subtle and effective than anything that later was scraped up from the bottom the barrel.  Really, since the Inchoroi were just heavily indoctrinated, brain-washed, conditioned foot soldiers, it's really no wonder that asking them to reassess the entirety of the operation on their own, when they were made, from the get go, to be "ideally" conditioned for murder and not much more...