Chapter 6 reread, comments on Fanayal

• 4 Replies

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« on: June 29, 2017, 02:09:59 pm »
Soooo. Remember that scene at the end of Revenge of the Sith, Darth Vader's unfortunate 'Nooooooo'?

That's what I feel about Fanayal's reaction to Meppa's wounded body. Twice even Fanayal cries out. To be honest, this skirts close to possible parody or humor, no? Perhaps Bakker is having a bit of fun here. I feel that the scene, if meant more seriously, would have been stronger with Fanayal *not* howling or crying out. Just omit that and let Psatma lure him out of his self-control.

And what happened when Fanayal went for Psatma, on

page 172:

The Padirajah lunged toward her, only to be hung from his wrists, held as if leashed to opposite corners of the pavilion. He craned his head about, crying out, groaning.

The text makes mention of The Dread Mother appearing, so I assume that Yatwer herself is protecting Psatma? What do you think?

Overall, a fun, imperfect scene.
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:27:29 pm »
Lol, Star Wars has been jokingly referred to as the third influence on the series after Tolkien and Herbert ;).

And what happened when Fanayal went for Psatma, on

page 172:

The Padirajah lunged toward her, only to be hung from his wrists, held as if leashed to opposite corners of the pavilion. He craned his head about, crying out, groaning.

The text makes mention of The Dread Mother appearing, so I assume that Yatwer herself is protecting Psatma? What do you think?

Yeah, I believe Malowebi mentions catching a glimpse of the Mother's twinning blood or whatever, just as Psatma sees it before the False Oracle gets eaten in the Catacombs in TJE.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:43:41 pm »
I read that section as "he wants to strike her, but he is so influenced by her that he couldn't bring himself to do it, even though every bit of him wants to."  So he started the motion, but stopped himself mid strike "as if his wrists were strung"  His groaning is him realizing how ensnared he is.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:41:53 pm »
I definitely think there's some intentional humor -- Bakker humor, mind you -- injected into the Fanayal/Malowebi stuff. Especially towards the end when Fanayal's really losing his shit, calling in Malowebi just to rant at him, and then after the walls of Momemn fall where Fanayal's basically like "hold my beer" and ready to strike only for Kellhus to show up and clean house.

I laughed, anyway.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:48:43 pm »
I read that section as "he wants to strike her, but he is so influenced by her that he couldn't bring himself to do it, even though every bit of him wants to."  So he started the motion, but stopped himself mid strike "as if his wrists were strung"  His groaning is him realizing how ensnared he is.

You know, I think there really is some thaumaturgy/God-expressed agency going on there.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer