H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 01:17:21 pm »
I find the face covers bad because, to me, they look utterly like "generic fantasy book" covers.

Really, if you changed the title on it, you could use that cover for probably 90% of fantasy books.  The Rankine cover at least presents something of interest, in the sense that it is a mysterious language.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »
The original tdtcb and twp that I got were the old mosaic style, in the series that madness showed earlier. So it's not just nostalgia I think, in further defence of my opinion ;)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 02:28:37 am »
I'm probably an outlier here but I like the "mosaic" ones the most (these http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPFIJekGiOkVrufE7nLB5jjrMv0uqt4Mn_lYmBrh7B-6bIVfjx).

The face ones are, as others have said, very boring and generic. And while I like the Rankine ones in concept, and that they use some sort of material from the series itself, they still don't really do it for me.

As dumb as it sounds, I think the "mosaic" covers actually made me take the books more seriously from the onset (not that I wouldn't have after reading the first couple pages). They look...classy? I don't know, that's not really it. They don't scream fantasy -- or even really hint at it -- which I kind of like for whatever random reason. I generally prefer simplistic designs that evoke a feeling, rather than overt imagery, when it comes to most book covers.

Terrible picture here, but just as an example of what I mean, I love the front-end design on A Dance with Dragons, way more than the dust-jacket itself (which to me is basically just as generic as the TSA face covers, but slightly less offensive with the lack of face).

(it irritates the living hell out of me that the design isn't centered vertically though)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:30:27 am by Ciphrank »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 11:43:54 am »
Well, I don't mind the "mosaic" ones really, not great, but certainly not bad.

The Rankine covers will always be the "true" covers to me, probably mostly for the fact that it was that cover of tDtCB that caught my eye and got me interested.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 11:51:13 am »
The Rankine covers will always be the "true" covers to me, probably mostly for the fact that it was that cover of tDtCB that caught my eye and got me interested.

This.

However, I thought you won this topic when you pointed out that TGO has a recycled cover.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »

This.

However, I thought you won this topic when you pointed out that TGO has a recycled cover.

I think that was actually MG.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 12:38:59 am »
I didn't even realize until Pat pointed it out with his post about TGO...

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2015/11/us-cover-art-for-r-scott-bakkers-great.html

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 01:16:31 am »
I think I've confused H for profgrape twice now.

(it irritates the living hell out of me that the design isn't centered vertically though)

Lol - I didn't see this earlier.

I can't believe this is hidden under a generic face-jacket... like some beautiful book skin-spy.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 08:42:42 pm »
Wow. Recycled face cover. That's just awesome. Another great reason to love overlook.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 08:46:25 pm »
Us Southerners all look alike, eh?

natanaj

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 11:42:41 pm »
not a big fan of the face covers. My favorite were the hardback covers from the PON trilogy.