• 0 Replies

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« on: November 25, 2017, 04:44:54 pm »
https://divinesong.tumblr.com/tagged/the%20warrior%20prophet

(For those who prefer reading these on Tumblr).

I can't tell how far I'm in "The Warrior Prophet" as the Kindle goes by percentages, but the kindle is all I have available for now. It's like 14% complete or something.

Anyway...

1. Aw man, Proyas is checked out. Saubon and Conphas are fighting like anime girls glaring at each other. Proyas? Head in hands and uncertain what to do. Then, here comes Kellhus to SAVE THE DAY and Proyas finally decides. Interesting. Then again, I don't doubt that there is a great deal of pressure on Proyas and sometimes even the best of people "fall down sometimes". Except for Kellhus, it seems.

2. Esmenet and Akka are back together! HOORAY! So touching. Outcasts together. I tend to like these kinds of pairings. I never mentioned that before, have I? No doubt she'll meet Kellhus. She'll probably meet a lot of people, but I think only a couple of people will accept her. The shit both Esmenet and Akka go through. They're such comforts for each other and I like that.

3. Oh shit. Skin Spy. Quick! Someone kill it!

4. LOVED the story Akka told Kellhus. That was one hell of a visual image, but I think Akka revealed way too much to Kellhus. I can understand as Akka is a bit enthralled by him, but telling him about the Mandate? Oh dear. He's not turning Kellhus to the Mandate and I think it'll bite him in the ass. Hoping not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Can't stress this enough: When someone is too good to be true, they usually are. Remember boys and girls, Kellhus wants EVERY ONE under his control.

5. The magic fight between Eli and the mercenary magic man would have been fun to see on TV. Once they reach every one else, dollars to donuts that Proyas will be treating them differently than with Akka. Oh, he will still consider them "blasphemers", but the hostility won't be so apparent. I think Proyas' problem with Akka stems from the fact that he may have been trying to get Akka to "repent" and convert to the Tusk. Akka refused and now he is being blasted by Mount Proyas. Man, God help you if Proyas has a problem with you.

6. Aww...poor slaves and Akka. Not invited to the religious festival. That's the thanks slaves get for their hard work. Would have been a perfect opportunity for rebellion/escapes. Wouldn't that be a hoot if that happened in the middle of the Holy War? Good luck trying to retrieve them during a war.

7.  Interesting bull parable. Yea, sure, it's about courage. A bull that is stronger doesn't make the other one not a bull or weak. I think, however, that it might also be a warning against stupidity/bad judgement.

8. Empress Istriya is being a bit creepy now. No mother in her right mind wants to watch her children have sex. Yikes.

9. I think what happened in Akka's dream will happen again, but it will really BE HIM and with a different person, of course. Whether or not the outcome is the same, well, can't say now for reasons that should be obvious.

---

Around 35% complete. Going at a fast pace. It’s difficult to put the book down. Then again, it’s been that way since  "The Darkness that Comes Before".

1. MY GOD! The battle at Mengedda. HOLY SHIT. If that ever made it to a screen of any kind, it would be a sight to behold. Just amazing. Just when you think one side is going to win, HERE COMES A TWIST! WOW! And then Proyas appears with his force. Oh man. That was an eyeopener, but then again, I shouldn’t be surprised. Proyas needs all that people he can get and I can’t imagine him just saying “welp, fuck them, let’s keep going.” Not even Conphas would have done that unless he didn’t have any use for them.

Anyway, Proyas  shows once again how full throttle he really is. Like I said before, he is the sort who can get to a three hour destination in one hour. If this series was more like Mad Max, he’d be standing on the gas pedal. God I love him even when he can a bit rage inducing.

Anyway, Saubon was a amazing in combat. Damn. No wonder he didn’t end up in trouble. Then again, he’s doing a good job punishing himself.

2. As for the dreams, I think the people who have them were there in a past life. They’re simply remembering what happened. And since the No-God was there, no wonder Akka freaked out. Loved the scene with him and Esmenet. SOOO CUUTE. I bet that doll is a voodoo doll.

3. Yea, Kellhus did take a risk. Looks like it paid off for both him and Saubon, even though Saubon is a bit of a mess. I guess Sarcellus/Skin Spy will be sticking around. Bummer. Interesting fight with him.

4. Xerius is just comic relief at this point and he’s pretty much doing the opposite of what his mother was trying to teach him. There is a reason why so many people hate him and it figures that he doesn’t get it.

5. Both Cnauir and Kellhus have Conphas pegged. He is certainly a sociopath or a malignant narcissist. Still, it’s always fun to have him around and I love the interaction with his friend/general. I actually enjoy his interactions with every one. I wish Proyas would have Conphas pegged. Maybe he does though. I bet Saubon does.

6. I peaked a bit and it looks like it’s mostly exposition. Then again, adding dialogue/more action/character interaction would make the book like 2857285758 pages long. The part involving forced conversion is/was infuriating. I’ve always been infuriated with that sort of thing. See, most organized religions have learned (in some cases, the hard way) that forced conversion is a VERY bad idea. There are reasons for this, to put it simply.

Worse yet, the Fanim in that city basically had to choose between slavery and death. And when I say slavery, I’m talking about chattel slavery, which imo, is a fate worse than death. But, that’s just me.

I hope that the Holy War encounters cities/countries that destroy themselves rather than live as slaves or conquests of a bunch of religious zealots. That actually HAS happened in history. In some cases, it’s scorched earth policy. The thing is, I doubt the Fanim were/are much better though. They had slavery too(and likely have been guilty of forced conversions), but they’re not the aggressors in this case.

I honestly just wish that it would rain gasoline and fire on the “Holy War”. Or someone can “blow up the sept”. Sad really, I like/love most of the characters involved.

7. I did spot the beginning of interaction between Proyas and Xin. Hooray. I don’t know what it’s about though. I should stop peaking now. Dollars to donuts, Proyas asks where Achamian is. Maybe that’s wishful thinking.

8. Tekne is technology. Has to be. Would be interesting to learn more about that.

---

45% complete.

1. Kellhus, are you for real? You really sent Serwe to rape Achamian. Not cool, man, not cool. Poor Achamian is being played. Who am I kidding? They ALL are, except for Conphas. He can’t seriously be the only one. COME ON. It is, however, largely true that zealous behavior is EVERY WHERE. Achamian isn’t, but he fears that he is and of course, that’s taken advantage of.

2. As for the sermon, well, Kellhus isn’t entirely off on that, but it’s hardly an absolute thing. As for “people are weak”, well I found that a bit eye-rolling. It’s not so much that people are weak(honestly, there are many kinds of strength anyway), it’s that they’re generally powerless. They don’t have the same advantages as those who grew up in privilege and they generally don’t have the backing of the military.

When there’s something one cannot do on their own, most people will turn to someone/something else and there’s nothing wrong with that.. Just that, in this case, they’re being convinced that they’re “weak”, “alone”, bla bla bla and that they “need” a savior. Honestly, some people do, but others don’t. However, it’s no shock that the vulnerable/powerless are being targeted first. The more difficult one, like Martemus, would be targeted next. Poor Proyas inadvertently played right into Kellhus’s hands by reading scripture with him.

It just goes to show you that most people are ill-equipped to deal with someone like Kellhus, even the “mighty”. 

The message is that relying on the wrong savior is dangerous and so is relying on just one. People who really NEED a savior have to be especially carefully, but sadly, that can be a very difficult thing to do when you are desperate.

3. There’s no way in hell that Proyas and Conphas could have ever been friends. It wouldn’t take too long for Proyas to see Conphas for what he is and he would hate Conphas as much as he does “blasphemers”. It’d be worse, in fact. Only, Conphas would only find it amusing. However, Proyas managed to brilliantly trick Conphas. Yea, Hurricane Proyas is dangerous to underestimate. Too bad it can’t go beyond that seeing as Conphas is way too popular. I think Mortemus is in danger though. If Kellhus doesn’t get him, Conphas will.

4. Akka would have never in a zillion years taught Proyas the gnosis even if he was the few. I mean, it’s not likely. Can you imagine though? What if Proyas discovers that HE is among the Few? Combine his powerful faith, emotion, will, and MAGIC and he would be potent as fuck. There really WOULD be a dragon within in. Like there isn’t already.

5. Oh that library. All that knowledge. If there is one thing that irritates the shit out of me, it’s the “one true path” nonsense. When such a claim is made, I know that it’s not. When other paths are being destroyed and kept away from others, it tells me that there are very real fears that others will take different paths and that people won’t be so easily manipulated or trapped because they have other options.

Don’t like this one religion? Find something more compatible then. People more concerned with control than anything else can’t have that. Honestly, organized religion can easily be considered one big cult. Only they’re not as isolating in general.

Anyway, the magic fight. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that. God, Achamian is powerful. He is truly the bees knees. The imagery with him on the way to the library is beautiful. Joy and Love. Yea. I wonder how long that will last? 

6. I wish Cnauir would try to do what Conphas is trying to do. I guess he doesn’t care enough. As for Conphas, it'c clearly because he can’t stand losing control.

7. Poor Xin. He probably had no idea that he was being played too. How do you think the Scarlet Spires got into that library?

8. I peaked a bit and it looks like Kellhus is trying to get to Esmenet. BOO!!!!!! 

9. Akka had a male lover when he was younger? Interesting and sad what happened to him.

---

64% complete. Getting there. Right now, it’s the Proyas show, starring a CRISIS OF FAITH! YEE HAW!

1. It became the Proyas show once he had his obvious crisis of faith. All the things he was thinking in the beginning was obviously done to try to justify NOT saving Achamian and then condemning Esmenet. The Tusk generally demands that they both die. But, if this is the case, then why weren’t the whores among the campfires stoned to death? Why wasn’t Esmenet executed too? No one in the camp did that, not even Proyas. I can see Achamian/Scarlet Spires being spared as they are necessary, but the prostitutes? How necessary are they for the Holy War. I guess that depends on who you ask. I personally am not against prostitution, btw.

He’s trying to be ideologically pure(VERY dangerous, no matter the ideology), but can’t do it. His conscience is VERY strong. Like I said, he is the opposite of Conphas and Kellhus. Damnit, he knows he’s wrong. Not so much for believing in the Tusk, but for taking it to such extremes.

And what the hell does “men are not equal” have to do with anything? Every time I see that statement, I roll my eyes.

Then again, when Declaration of Independence says “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal”, I roll my eyes at that too. When people fight for “equality”, they’re not talking about making every one Agent Smith, they’re talking about equal rights. Equal to who? Those with the highest privilege. But, that’s irrelevant.

Let me tell you what is relevant. While I do agree that actions/merit dictate “the worth of one’s pulse”(or something like that), I also agree that people can be very biased. Look what Xinemus did. To him, Achamian was worth pretty much every thing and every one. Not the best way to think, but it’s not uncommon, unfortunately.

Proyas acknowledged that. Many families will put the safety of their own above ANYONE no matter how much more “worth” those not in the family/group might have. No doubt Proyas would understand that too. HOWEVER, he tends to think in terms of the big picture(well, for the Tusk), so on one hand, he’s thinking “why should I”?, but on the other, it’s fucking killing him. That’s why he is recalling all the time he spent with Achamian. It’s huge reason why he is currently looking like a hot mess.

It’s easy to condemn people you don’t know or dislike, but if it’s someone you love/like/whatever, then it becomes a lot more difficult. Hell, some people love serial killers and I don’t mean in terms of being fascinated by such people either.

When he told the Shrial that Achamian was dead, I honestly thought “WTF?” But, then I remembered that he DID threaten the Scarlet Spires. I don’t think Eli was lying about that. And really, what would the TEMPLES want with Achamian? If Proyas himself is very angry at Achamian for being a blasphemer, then what would the Temples to do him? Consult or not, no way would the Temple ask for a sorcerer unless they have ill intent. They have the Scarlet Spires. No way they’d need a Mandate Schoolman no matter how awesome his magic is.

But, there is this a part of me that wonders if maybe he’s tired of “compromising” over people like Achamian. That maybe the “Holy shouldn’t follow the wicked and light shouldn’t follow dark”(or something like that) That maybe he should do the ideologically pure thing and leave Achamian to the Spires. But, if that’s the case, then he better get rid of camp whores too, including Esmenet. They’re supposed to be STONED, remember? I hope that small part of me is DEAD FUCKING WRONG.

Another part of me makes this much simpler: Proyas honestly believes that Achamian is dead and it has shattered him. My gut is saying that the first interp is the most likely. Especially since he is now aware that he is just another piece on the Shrial’s “benjaku” board. If this was chess, Proyas would totally be the Queen. :D

He’s crying because he’s obviously conflicted and plagued with doubt(for once). Kind of reminds of the ending of the movie “Doubt”. And yes, Achamian IS alive and he will be saved one way or the other.

2. Now for some random statements:

The imagery with a younger Proyas was gorgeous. The way it was described: beautifully poetic.

I wish Chauir lived in a country where no one cares if you’re gay, bi, or straight. I don’t think he would be so tortured if he did. Loved his talk of war and I liked the fact that he tried to save a woman and her baby.

Poor woman and baby. :( Collateral damage does happen though.

Kellhus? Oh him. Yea, whatever. I like how he scratched out the “stone the whores” though. Still wants to dominate EVERY ONE. For what? Well, like I said before, I think he wants a “still world” with no desire, no feeling, only the LOGOS. Yea, Zeal is everywhere. Kellhus has his eye on Esmenet. Figures. Yea, all these things are perfect opportunities for Kellhus.

Poor Martemus’s days are numbered unless Kellhus and his apostles take him in.
Achamian had the best quote ever. EVER.

And now, some comedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzC6j1QpK5g

---

67% complete.

1. Good God that desert march. Just reading that obviously condensed account was an ordeal. The only ones I have sympathy for are the ones who were forced into this Holy War. The others? LOLOL! TOO BAD. Took a risk and it didn’t pay off. I’m actually happy that Achamian and Xinemus were not present. Anyway, the choices made couldn’t have been easy for people like Proyas. I’ll be honest here, of all the “great names”, I think Proyas is really the only one worth following. Kellhus doesn’t count because he is a beep-boop like Conphas.

How convenient that Kellhus happened to find a well. As for the Imperial Ships, I think that was done on purpose too. VILE. Even to people like religious zealots. Was I the only one who KNEW it was a sandstorm before it was called?

2. Yup. Kellhus asked the right questions about women to Esmenet and he has her. Gee, color me shocked. As for “the other” who would renounce Achamian so Kelhus could have them, I wondered who it would be. Serwe is already with Kellhus. So Proyas? Like completely renounce Achamian? Damn that would suck. Xinemas? Oh hell no. That would suck even more. But, those are the only two I can think of.

3. Poor Mimara. Sold into slavery. :( I guess Esmenet was telling herself that her daughter died.

4. The flashback with child Kellhus….WTF? “Defectives…” Good grief.

----

71% Complete.

1. XINEMUS! NOOOO! Poor Xinemus. Yea, I’m pretty sure he’s dead. Even if he does survive, he is so ruined. Proyas will be spitting fire and shitting brimstone. But, Achamian saves him and it is AWESOME! WOW! It’s interesting that the Spires never figured out that Seswatha is why they can’t get anything out of the Mandate Schoolmen. I wish that doll got there before Xinemus did.

2. I think the desert tragedy could have been prevented if they told the vast majority of non-combatants to GO HOME or stay in Gedea/Shigek. Then again, they didn’t know that the Kian had destroyed the ships with the Cisharuim. Hell, I didn’t realize it until it was mentioned by the Scarlett Addict. Nice set-up. 200,000 dead. 2/3rds of the Holy War gone. The total is basically the population of Pensecola, Fl. Yeesh. Like I said before, I save my sympathy for those who were forced to join.

3. Oh dear. Big city about to get sieged with nasty plague and nasty fighting. Pretty sure Holy War will win, but it will cost many lives. By the time they get to Shimeh, there’ll be like two people left.

4. So Cnaiur saves Proyas. I didn’t even know he collapsed in the desert. I thought there’d be scenes of them traveling together, but looks like there won’t be as Proyas was trying to secure a surrender. Well, he tried. No surprise that the city would refuse to surrender. “Proud cities don’t yield.” Then again, most of the other cities didn’t yield easily either.

---

78% Complete

1. XINEMUS! SAD! Well, at least he’s still alive. At least Akka is still with him. Torture is massive trauma, so it’s not a shock that they are both a bit different now.

2. Cnaiur is just too hard on people. Sickness can be a bit debilitating, so of course, they’re going to be a bit weakened. I wouldn’t call it disgusting unless they’re acting like babies over say, a cold. Or a Trulicity shot. Anyway, Cnaiur is quite tsundere with the equally tsundere Proyas. However, I agree with Cnaiur assessment of him. Proyas commands respect, even when he is sick. It is pretty impressive to do what you can to maintain dignity when you’re sick. That being said, I’m none too keen on Saubon trying to take advantage of it.

3. Conphas, that “inner voice” is known as a conscience. Yea, I know it’s distasteful, but it exists for many people. And yes, there are fates worse than death. Enslavement does tend to be one of them. I guess the only thing worse than that is chattel slavery in a galley. He is doing his damnedest to get rid of Kellhus, but he can’t to grasp that there is a REASON why so many people dislike him. Psst…it’s not because you’re a “better”. People tend to dislike sociopaths unless they’re Dexter.

4. Thanks for reminding me that the sacking of a city can be fucking nasty. Yea, I totally needed to be reminded of that. It’s a war, so…figures. Love how Proyas went in while sick and in a litter! LOL! He’s never done things by halves and he sure isn’t going to start now! AHAH! I just love him.

5. Esmenet has drunk the kool-aid. I guess it’s not surprising. How do you resist someone like Kellhus? How do you say no to power? To be something more than just a whore living in abject poverty. She’s strong and smart, but sadly, she had vulnerabilities that could be taken advantage of.

6. Congrats on your son, Serwe! Congrats to Kellhus for securing a butt ton of followers. And Esmenet/Serwe were an item? Aw man..wish that was presented more. Nice to see some Les Yay!

7. Sarcellus doesn’t know what a cuckold actually is! Then again, few people do. It’s simply someone who likes to watch their SOs have sex with someone else. Nothing more.

---

90% complete! Homestretch coming up!

1. Achamian? Why you no forgive Proyas? Why are you so mean? Then I remember what I’ve said about Proyas in the past and then I understood. Obviously, Proyas didn’t appreciate that and I can understand that. Yes, of course, Proyas the Judge still lives, but what was he judging there? That Achamian didn’t forgive him? Sorry, Proyas, but you’re not entitled to someone’s forgiveness. Honestly, it’s far too little and much too late(hoping not though) considering how nasty you have been to Achamian. He hasn’t forgotten that. Maybe Achamian should have said something like, “I can forgive, but I can’t forget.”

The huggy scene with Xinemus was so touching. :(

Proyas so emotional. I don’t blame him. At least he has Xinemus. As for you Achamian, ONE of those people do not belong in that shrinking circle of people you’re close to. You will learn this the hard way. I can see why Proyas was pained when Esmenet is asked about. He knows that she’s with Kellhus. He saw her in bed with him.

2. Yea, guys you better obey Esmenet like the word of God! She might be taken in by Kellhus, but she is STILL best girl! I actually made the same mistake she did! Whoops. I guess that’s what happens when you’ve basically punished for being a woman your whole life.

3. Kellhus dead? LOL! Yea, sure. Serwe, otoh, oh man. Yea, she’s dead. Sorry, Kellhus, even you can’t save your most faithful follower. Interesting way to crucify them. I wasn’t expecting that. I thought it would be more like Jesus, but I’ll take it.

4. So Celpheawjdapiwjdijwhatever was a skin spy. That explains a lot.

5. Sarcellus is still alive? Christ. Love the burn scene though. “What a way to show religious conviction! LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE!!1” Poor Martemus, but I wasn’t surprised that he died. I thought Conphas would do it though. Is it just me? Or is Conphas going a bit nuts? Does he seriously intend to keep the severed head? Jesus.

6. Cnaiur. :( Nah, he won’t kill himself.

7. I’m not surprised that it would mostly lower caste types who follow Kellhus most. They see him as a means to change/Revolution. Either that or they just want to be Farmer John. Whatever the case, people like them and Esmenet tend to be vulnerable and it’s not surprise that he would prey on such people first.

Also not much of a shock that he would be blamed for the horrible things that happened to the Holy War. They needed a scapegoat and the sad part is, those against him, are actually RIGHT, but for the wrong reasons. Kellhus called them out properly. They think that they would lose if he gains. Eh, zero sum shit.

8. Love how Proyas barged in on Kellhus. Love how he didn’t care that he cried IN FRONT OF CNAIUR of all people. I wouldn’t have dared. I love the fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve even though I know it can be a weakness. At this point, Proyas gives no fucks.

9. Moenghus must be potent as fuck if he’s a Dunyain Cishairum. I love those sneks. Must be cool.

10. The more I think about it, the more I find that Bakker is most likely NOT a misogynist, but rather someone who just plain isn’t very good at writing women. He does try to make it clear that there WERE women of power/influence in a brutal world, but he can’t seem to write them well. He does alright with Esmenet though. He had a chance with Serwe and a couple other women, but welp. :/ I just think it has to do with men being his writing “comfort zone” more than anything else.

----

The Warrior Prophet is now complete! WHOO HOO!! Went from triumph to WTF in about a page. Thanks for that, Mr. Bakker.

1. I don’t think Kellhus truly died. I think he was the sort who could make himself seem dead, but not. This was done in Silence of the Lambs. As for Serwe’s heart, sleight of hand while being cut down and the fact that he probably did have some innate Gnosis sorcery to be able to do that. Or, he somehow learned it on his own.

Still, this is one of those scenes that would have been a sight to behold on TV. Would have liked to see the other, “Great Names” react. Only Gotian was available. It’s not like Eli and Cnaiur would have knelt. We all know Conphas wouldn’t though. Not willingly.

2. About damned time we see Proyas kill someone. We ALL know that he is more than capable of it.

3. Nakkie Proyas is best Proyas. Hyuk Hyuk. ;) Love how he’s so damned shameless about it. I guess he has the goods, so why not flaunt them, right? Anyway, still great to see how him and Achamian still turn to each other. Still great to see how there is love, there is hate, they want to hug each other, they want to kill each other.

4. The issue is Kellhus isn’t so much “transgressing caste”(god forbid people want better lives, but I don’t think that’s what they’re talking about), but of fraud. I’m guessing that’s what they really mean. So, like England years ago, fraud is a hanging offense according to the Tusk. And Kellhus DID hang, at least for awhile. Too bad Serwe hung with him.

6. Poor Achamian. He gave the BEST SPEECH EVER and Conphas just HAD to shit on him. Conphas can go bathe in acid. As for poor Proyas, *huggies* “Akka…” :( But, things worked out for the best. That is, if you’re on Kellhus’s side. Well, whatever the case, the “resurrection” brought victory to the Holy War. And then there were a bit under 50,000. Shimeh is going to be fun, for sure, especially since the Famin Crown prince is said to be a bit, er, difficult.

7. Love how Sarcellus FINALLY died and it’s all because of Gotian. AHAHAHA! That, and a big fucking sword, courtesy of Cnaiur.

8. We’re going to find out what the “Thousand Fold Thought” is soon enough.

9. Give Xinemus some eye snakes. :D

As for faves…Proyas and Akka are tied. Esmenet is best girl. Kellhus? I have no strong feelings for him either way, tbh, but it’s clear that he is at best a well-intention extremist. Just not really for the Holy War. At worst? Yikes.

As for every one else? Eh. At least for now.

Cnaiur is in a class all his own. He is Guts level awesome. Slitting his own throat? DAYUM.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man