Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

<< < (4/84) > >>

locke:
Finished Chapter 1, Socrates 'wins' because of a deus ex machina appeal to authority that is completely dependent on a Just World Fallacy?

Considering the whole bit was about Justice, now I know another reason why it's called the Just World Fallacy.

Cüréthañ:
Abandon your convictions, Locke.
Its a debate from a different world, remember.  ;)  That said, I barely remember any of it its been so long...

Finished Planesrunner.  Didn't realise it was YA until I was two chapters in when it became very aparent from the predictable characterisation and plotting.
Doubt I will bother with the sequel, but not too bad if you're into that kind of thing.

locke:
The chapter ends with socrates saying all people of wealth and power are just people because the gods are just and would never bless an unjust person.  Therefore someones wealth and power is proof that they are inherently good.

Cüréthañ:
Yep, damn patricians. 
Only rich folk had the right to vote in ancient Athens, for them it was one of those 'self evident' truths...  seems silly now but...

What Came Before:
You know, I'm sure we could start a Republic thread. There are certainly members I can think of who would join us in commenting, if they are engaged and not wandering, looking for trauma... to remember.

A couple thoughts though:

Firstly, +1 Curethan. Time and place - while society hasn't progressed a whole lot since Plato, as Whitehead's quote goes the mass of European philosophy during his time was "a series of footnotes to Plato."

Secondly, there is a much debate between philosophers, first, obviously, to the historical existence of Socrates and, secondly, moreso, to what extent the historical Socrates was actually portrayed as the character of Socrates.

Most academic philosophers I've encountered who deign to have an opinion seem to agree that The Republic represents the first serious break between a consistent individual (Socrates) beforehand and an oratory puppet (Plato) afterwards.

Do not judge my mentor Socrates on Plato's need for him to... posit things.

Lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version