YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2017, 11:10:07 am »
Will be starting Malazan(Gardens of the Moon) once I'm on my way to New Orleans.

One, I found that book less than readable unfortunately, so hopefully you'll like it better.

Second, New Orleans does not seem like an ideal place to be for the next few days considering the storm's current track.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2017, 12:40:22 pm »

Second, New Orleans does not seem like an ideal place to be for the next few days considering the storm's current track.

I've been planning on going to that show for months and haven't seen the band in years, so I don't have much of a choice. I'd most likely have to leave earlier than anticipated though.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2017, 12:49:46 pm »
I'd most likely have to leave earlier than anticipated though.

I'd advise greatly in favor of getting out ASAP.  I live on the other side of the state, so I am not sure if they actually fixed the sump pumps that were is disrepair a month or so ago, but I wouldn't risk it.  The show is tonight?  I'd advise leaving right after if possible, things might get bad after noon tomorrow.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #243 on: October 06, 2017, 01:00:25 pm »
TBH, that may be what I'll end up doing. :( I really wanted to go to the afterparty, but the show ends at like 11 and party is AFTER that. Maybe 30 min tops.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:03:21 pm by Dora Vee »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 06, 2017, 01:19:44 pm »
TBH, that may be what I'll end up doing. :( I really wanted to go to the afterparty, but the show ends at like 11 and party is AFTER that. Maybe 30 min tops.

Well, by what I am seeing from most storm tracks, I think as long as you get out before, say, late afternoon tomorrow you should be fine.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #245 on: October 06, 2017, 01:34:10 pm »

Well, by what I am seeing from most storm tracks, I think as long as you get out before, say, late afternoon tomorrow you should be fine.

Oh yea. Looks like it. I was planning on leaving earlier than that. :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2017, 02:05:14 pm »

Oh yea. Looks like it. I was planning on leaving earlier than that. :)

Good life-choice,  ;)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2017, 03:01:03 pm »
Hope you make it out alright, Dora Vee.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2017, 05:47:02 am »
I did and enjoyed the show a great deal. Glad I went.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2017, 10:40:35 am »
Reading Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer.  Since the movie will come out next year, I decided to read the books first.  My wife already finished this one, so it's my turn.  Second and third books are in the mail...

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2017, 03:41:58 pm »
Started Gardens of the Moon. Very interesting and it looks like the author makes it very clear to NOT get attached with characters. Yikes.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2017, 04:32:56 pm »
Started Gardens of the Moon. Very interesting and it looks like the author makes it very clear to NOT get attached with characters. Yikes.

I saw an internet-meme on the Malazan facebook group the other day (avoid for sake of spoilers) regarding Erikson putting Martin to shame in the character-killing category.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2017, 06:21:45 pm »

I saw an internet-meme on the Malazan facebook group the other day (avoid for sake of spoilers) regarding Erikson putting Martin to shame in the character-killing category.
Didn't you read Deadhouse Gates?  You should know that by personal experience ;)  .
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:17 pm »
Started Follett's "A Column of Fire", after the first chapter I can confirm this is literally the same book Follett always writes. The Pillars of the Earth or The Century books are the same book, only the scenario and the names of the characters are different, the rest is the same bullshit.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2017, 11:54:43 am »
Got a bit of a late start, but onto Authority, second book of Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy.  First was good, not great though.  I expect this book will probably be the same.