How big is the Heron Spear?

• 4 Replies

H Wilson

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: April 05, 2023, 02:11:51 pm »
Before Arkfall the Inchoroi seemed to be a lot larger than they are now: Sil's shield is the size of a small boat and he wore dead bodies as armour, and we know Aurang used to be a lot bigger -- he is capable of wrestling the Tall, and he explicitly states that he used to be monumentally tall before all the grafts somehow made him man-sized (or 1.5 man sized).

So it stands to reason that the Heron Spear was likewise gigantic, yet it seems to be something a lone man, Anaxophus, can wield. Moreover its sister spear is used by both a nameless Nonman and by Kellhus.
Does this mean that the Heron Spear is actually a lot larger than one would guess, or was it always man-sized something like a laser pointer in Sil's hand, something that fit in his palm?

I don't think anything in the text contradicts the idea that it is a lot larger than we assume: it was stolen by Seswatha and Nau-Cayûti together -- perhaps this is the reason Seswatha needed Nau-Cayûti to come with him -- and was transported in Anaxophus' chariot, so it could actually be ~20 ft long.
Then again there is nothing to contradict the idea of the spear being like a laser pointer, other than the fact that it is a silly image.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 10:07:29 pm »
I believe that Bakker mentioned in a written interview with Pat's Fantasy Hotlist that the Grafts (trying to modify the Inchoroi for Earwa), "sapped them of their frame" (badly paraphrasing).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H Wilson

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 02:37:44 pm »
But why is Sil's shield so big? Are you suggesting that the shield is a relic from the days when the Inchoroi were huge, but the Heron Spear is more recent (or was shrunk down from a previously bigger weapon)?
That still doesn't explain how Aurang was able to wrestle the Tall and win.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 09:56:29 pm »
Essentially this?

These are just guesses on my part. Except for the Heron Spear being more recent... Perhaps, if the Ark was pumping out weapons to scale Rick and Morty style.

Honestly, I would have given you a different answer years ago but now I do wonder about Bakker's antecedents. It was suggested in deleted comments on a draft of The Four Revelations that the Tall grew on Earwa based on their heroism (which really complicates the Inchoroi's original stature, excepting the pound of flesh metaphor and grafting them to acclimatize to Earwa and sorcery).

What really is starting to freak me out is that Earwa has a Firmament and "the Void" (space) is a misdirect.

Also, you should join the Discord (check your private messages). I'll keep you this going forever but there is activity on the Discord, before the governance starts cracking down on "unregulated" communication.

Strength on the Journey, Journey well.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 06:06:51 pm »
But why is Sil's shield so big? Are you suggesting that the shield is a relic from the days when the Inchoroi were huge, but the Heron Spear is more recent (or was shrunk down from a previously bigger weapon)?
That still doesn't explain how Aurang was able to wrestle the Tall and win.
Maybe just that the Tall have grown, substantially, by the time we see them? A Tall at Arkfall was 2-3 meters, whereas in TUC they are like 5?

I don't think anything in the text contradicts the idea that it is a lot larger than we assume: it was stolen by Seswatha and Nau-Cayûti together -- perhaps this is the reason Seswatha needed Nau-Cayûti to come with him -- and was transported in Anaxophus' chariot, so it could actually be ~20 ft long.
The exact dimensions are never really given, so yes it could be any/all explanations.

Then again there is nothing to contradict the idea of the spear being like a laser pointer, other than the fact that it is a silly image.
;D
This provides the primary drawback of the type of obfuscation Bakker loves - you can end up in weird places, like a fearsome weapon being a toothpick.
One of the other conditions of possibility.