The Therapeutic Value of Psychedelics and other drugs

• 141 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2013, 06:25:05 pm »
Lol, no it was in one of Kevin Booths documentaries, either "American drug war" or "How weed won the west".
There is a clip where Ronald Reagan was talking about this "new epidemic" of dangerous drugs. What was weird was that it sounded
like a commercial. "This is crack cocaine, it is cheap, easy to get your hands on and highly addictive".

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2013, 12:43:48 am »
Haha.

Yeah... ridiculous. Reagan is such an obvious puppet, it really bothers me that he's one of the most respected Presidents.

I shall look into these Kevin Booth documentaries. I've heard the name before.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2013, 11:41:44 am »
He was a friend of Bill Hicks, and he has been on the Alex Jones show a few times.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »
Ah yes, course.

I always thought Bill Hicks and Alex Jones kind of looked like each other.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2013, 08:03:49 pm »
Haha, there are certain similarities yes :)

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2014, 05:12:43 am »
Saw the Spirit Molecule, the documentary on DMT. At 70 or so minutes, I'd say it's definitely worth a watch for anyone wanting an introduction to the subject.

There's some good stuff about using shrooms to decrease anxiety of terminal cancer patients.

Also, as a personal note, was cool to see Neal Goldsmith interviewed as I've actually attended his Poetry Science talks which I recommend to anyone who lives near NYC.

=-=-=

Cosmic creativity -- how art evolves consciousness: Alex Grey at TEDxMaui 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_YJToyOp_4

Great talk by Alex Grey, the extraordinary artist whose paintings are incredible depictions of [purported] higher realms.

I love how he met his wife. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:43:48 am by sciborg2 »

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:07 am »
This is a dense thread I've been meaning to hop into, though I'm not sure where to start.  Background I suppose.

I've done a substantial amount of psychedelics.  Several (dozens) of trips of often heroic doses of mushrooms and acid, dabbling with MDMA (I hesitate to call that a proper trip, but whatever), and a few 2C-E/I trips, few mescaline, and a DMT dose.  Not really a 'party' tripper, I treat them with respect and go in with the intention of coming out with something new.

I think most people should have some experience with psychedelics, because I think it's valuable to have your fundamental belief systems altered frequently.  You're not the same person you were 10 years ago, and if you compared those two people, you can obtain some insight into yourself, your life, your path, etc.  Tripping is often like doing that immediately, several times in rapid succession.  Plus, they're fascinating as all hell.

I know many, many people start finding the 'magic' of them, talking about alternate/transcendent realities, profound and externally-generated insights, so on.  This bothers the shit out of me.  Physically ingesting a physical drug as it works physical effects on your physical brain creating alterations to your subjective experience, to me has always been superb evidence of the physical basis of said subjective experience.  That this is not obvious to most is frankly depressing.  I've lost good friends to that sort of lunacy.  But!  So it goes.

Before psylocibin, lsd, and mdma were criminalized, there was much effort in studying their therapeutic effects.  MDMA was used (in carefully controlled dosages with great preperation) with children from abusive, awful homes who developed severe antisocial behavior to very positive effects (from raging and fighting other children for their toys to actively sharing and hugging others).  LSD can be used to treat migraines (non-psychoactive doses), Bill whatshisface who helped found AA promoted it for treatment of alcoholics.  Sci mentions above psylocibin being used for anxiety of terminal patients.  There's plenty of bits here and there in the 50's-70's, and it's an absolute shame that we haven't been able to spend the past decades building on that research (don't even get me started on the state of pharmaceuticals).

Saddest of all is how these get lumped in with 'drugs' in general.  It's a lazy thing to do, completely detracting from their function.

Annnd I've run out of steam and work is calling.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2014, 11:57:14 am »
I think most people should have some experience with psychedelics, because I think it's valuable to have your fundamental belief systems altered frequently.  You're not the same person you were 10 years ago, and if you compared those two people, you can obtain some insight into yourself, your life, your path, etc.  Tripping is often like doing that immediately, several times in rapid succession.  Plus, they're fascinating as all hell.

I agree with this. People I have talked to regarding these substances do admit that having your belief system altered is
something that causes doubt and fear. You do not want to realize that you might be fundamentally wrong about how you view reality. Personally I found it very helpful in how I look at things, and how people use language and rhetoric to portray
reality in a certain way.

And sadly I have not tried DMT yet, which is pretty hard to come by where I live.

I know many, many people start finding the 'magic' of them, talking about alternate/transcendent realities, profound and externally-generated insights, so on.  This bothers the shit out of me.  Physically ingesting a physical drug as it works physical effects on your physical brain creating alterations to your subjective experience, to me has always been superb evidence of the physical basis of said subjective experience.  That this is not obvious to most is frankly depressing.  I've lost good friends to that sort of lunacy.

This one is a little tricky, though I agree with your reasoning. The question of why these substances provides a genuine mystical experience for certain people is fascinating. It is not something you read in a book, or something people tell you is the truth. You experience it first hand, and I can see that people get so awestruck by the experience that they end up explaining it using religious terminology. It has the potential of becoming a religion(and some people claim that it was the "true" religion back in the day, with mushroom cults etc.)

Personally(and I think I have said this before, either here or in another tread) I do not think that we visit other dimensions and so on, but rather take a deep dive into "ourselves" or our unconsciousness where we encounter lost memories, supressed emotions, hopes and fears. This can be a thrilling ride if you have experienced much in your life.

Saddest of all is how these get lumped in with 'drugs' in general.  It's a lazy thing to do, completely detracting from their function.

Yes, it is sad , but I do think those days are over. The evidence and conclusions from recent research are just to positive to ignore in the long run. I also believe that if we could study these substances freely without prejudice we would learn more of what the experience really is, and maybe prevent another religious cult from springing to life:)

Great talk by Alex Grey, the extraordinary artist whose paintings are incredible depictions of [purported] higher realms

Yes he is quite amazing:) I think he made the cover art for some of the Tool albums too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:59:38 am by Royce »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »
Great talk by Alex Grey, the extraordinary artist whose paintings are incredible depictions of [purported] higher realms.

Anything Alex Grey is awesome. But it's interesting, I don't think people need trips necessarily as "therapy" when his art was enough to grip me as a teenager and push me against the glass. In fact, in many ways, I became exploratory of drugs because I couldn't handle real life (and those aspects of it you glimpse in AG's art) and was looking for a more mundane mundane.

This is a dense thread I've been meaning to hop into, though I'm not sure where to start.  Background I suppose.

I'm glad you dove in, Wic. The middle... three pages seem to have strayed towards different aspects of drugs in relation to X, anyways (not necessarily therapy related).

I've done a substantial amount of psychedelics.  Several (dozens) of trips of often heroic doses of mushrooms and acid, dabbling with MDMA (I hesitate to call that a proper trip, but whatever), and a few 2C-E/I trips, few mescaline, and a DMT dose.  Not really a 'party' tripper, I treat them with respect and go in with the intention of coming out with something new.

That's really cool. How did you learn of the respect-frame? Just asking as it was many years after I'd already abused drugs that I learned from smarter, calmer people that intentions could be made whetstones (thankfully, I had a general predisposition for treating all moments as being interpretable to provide a lesson for me contextually).

Truth - but people can do these things elsewise also. Drugs aren't the only experiences that mediate changes of this magnitude.

I know many, many people start finding the 'magic' of them, talking about alternate/transcendent realities, profound and externally-generated insights, so on.  This bothers the shit out of me.  Physically ingesting a physical drug as it works physical effects on your physical brain creating alterations to your subjective experience, to me has always been superb evidence of the physical basis of said subjective experience.  That this is not obvious to most is frankly depressing.  I've lost good friends to that sort of lunacy.  But!  So it goes.

I think these thoughts in people around me primarily made me go from some subset of Christian to Agnostic (I may still have been still thinking in terms of soul rather than self at 15-16). Everything is possible. Reality is completely and utterly more than we individual humans here on Earth bound to our biohusk can possible comprehend. I'm going to focus on saving our little corner from ourselves (which is the only real obstacle) and maybe working towards getting us out of this perilous planet-bound existence. Go a Scattering like the Ousters ;).

Before psylocibin, lsd, and mdma were criminalized, there was much effort in studying their therapeutic effects.  MDMA was used (in carefully controlled dosages with great preperation) with children from abusive, awful homes who developed severe antisocial behavior to very positive effects (from raging and fighting other children for their toys to actively sharing and hugging others).  LSD can be used to treat migraines (non-psychoactive doses), Bill whatshisface who helped found AA promoted it for treatment of alcoholics.  Sci mentions above psylocibin being used for anxiety of terminal patients.  There's plenty of bits here and there in the 50's-70's, and it's an absolute shame that we haven't been able to spend the past decades building on that research (don't even get me started on the state of pharmaceuticals).

Ah, the seventies. The glory days of research with drugs.

You know, there are a handful of labs worldwide studying psylocibin. And I know I've seen some fMRI studies of brains on mushrooms and marijuana. I can probably dig some stuff up for you, Wic.

Oh yes, what's that about the coordinated effort toward medicalizing the world? We should probably make another thread ;).

Annnd I've run out of steam and work is calling.

My favorite is to tell people that everyone I've ever worked with thinks nothing of abusing over the counter medication to affect their subjective experience but pooh, pooh, the arbitrary category of 'drugs,' which for some reason... doesn't include alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, refined sugar. Or that people in power are just people with power and all the evidence that they snort a bunch of codeine and do their job just like the rest of the pillheads out here.

I love the work posts that are contributed around here.

EDIT:

I agree with this. People I have talked to regarding these substances do admit that having your belief system altered is
something that causes doubt and fear. You do not want to realize that you might be fundamentally wrong about how you view reality. Personally I found it very helpful in how I look at things, and how people use language and rhetoric to portray
reality in a certain way.

Honestly, these threads of thought describe some aspects of why the Western Empire has a history of substance abuse, and pretty much why all other society have retained extensive histories, at least, if not practices of intensive ritual use. Guiding elders, ceremony, you know, constructing something of a necessary pedestal to divide the journey from the mundane - it's explicit in their actions: "this is not for regular consumption."

This one is a little tricky, though I agree with your reasoning. The question of why these substances provides a genuine mystical experience for certain people is fascinating. It is not something you read in a book, or something people tell you is the truth. You experience it first hand, and I can see that people get so awestruck by the experience that they end up explaining it using religious terminology. It has the potential of becoming a religion(and some people claim that it was the "true" religion back in the day, with mushroom cults etc.)

Narrative serves as a major component of regular function. So in achieving altered state, narrative might be likely to remain proportionately present in experience of that state.

Personally(and I think I have said this before, either here or in another tread) I do not think that we visit other dimensions and so on, but rather take a deep dive into "ourselves" or our unconsciousness where we encounter lost memories, supressed emotions, hopes and fears. This can be a thrilling ride if you have experienced much in your life.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been as much research into how the experiences might correspond to what happens. Is it like my perspective of dreams and tarot where the benefit is explicitly from getting a random narrative to correspond with your life? (in the same sense Wic highlighted that different drugs provide semi-random patterns of excitation and inhibition, tuning up and down different aspects of experience to provide with a definitively altered frame for viewing reality)

Yes, it is sad , but I do think those days are over. The evidence and conclusions from recent research are just to positive to ignore in the long run. I also believe that if we could study these substances freely without prejudice we would learn more of what the experience really is, and maybe prevent another religious cult from springing to life:)

Hmm... hmm... but more importantly, prejudice in our world, Royce, is also profitable. See Wic's impending rant on pharmaceuticals ;).

Great talk by Alex Grey, the extraordinary artist whose paintings are incredible depictions of [purported] higher realms

Yes he is quite amazing:) I think he made the cover art for some of the Tool albums too.

Yeap! From Lateralus on AG has worked with Tool, even on their Show Art and Videos. It's a beautiful coordination of attempting to raise the bar of consciousness a little.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:56:35 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

jamesA01

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2014, 06:45:06 pm »

I posted way too much on this board and in this thread in particular, and ended up with too many people calling me out to respond to them all. But this quote right here is basically the point I wanted to make.

Wic - it may bother the shit out of you, but for me it's an even more intense mix of frustration, rage, anxiety fear etc. I've lost too many friends just like you have, and also probably lost far too much of my own mind too.

I got really frustrated trying to explain what you've said in social contexts, because living in a really desolate and culturally and economically deprived place, there's very few spaces I can go to avoid the aforementioned lunacy.

And what's even more pathetic/disgusting is how utterly PROUD so many people are now of their macho hedonist/nihilist individualism. How scandalized they are when you dare suggest they aren't in god like control of it all, that there's any cultural and social programming involved, that they aren't just enthralled in a kind of dipshitted consumer existentialist ideology that works to create profit for others at the expense of their lives... and of course the lives of others who suffer from the fall out of their behaviours.

I don't want to sound like some hypocritical conservative moralist, but I do have a certain hatred for what passes as leisure time these days. Drink till you puke, then let the social services/pharmaceutical industries clean up the mess. If you follow your pleasures, you can't be questioned or made fun of.

It doesn't HAVE to be this way. The horrible banality of it all is really grating.

All of this is not to say I didn't party HARD, because I did, and am a bitter burn out whose stuck with the dullness of sobriety.  It's sad that I prefer this to anything else that's going on.

jamesA01

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42:23 pm »
Don't like linking to the UKs equivalent of Fox News, but has anyone else come across this theory? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2527074/Did-BEER-create-modern-society-Ancient-man-developed-agriculture-brew-alcohol-not-bake-bread-claims-scientist.html

Makes such a terrible amount of sense...

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2014, 03:25:27 am »

Indeed. I would certainly consider them more valid spiritual experiences than anything that involves the interjection of another person between you and [insert transcendent entity here].  If someone was going to develop a relationship with a god, they should be digging inward.
Quote from: Madness
That's really cool. How did you learn of the respect-frame? Just asking as it was many years after I'd already abused drugs that I learned from smarter, calmer people that intentions could be made whetstones (thankfully, I had a general predisposition for treating all moments as being interpretable to provide a lesson for me contextually).
Before I ever took any, I fortunately spent years reading about them from a solid group of educated trippers (many in their 30's/40's) discussing them on a forum (forum wasn't all about psychedelics, but the topic came up frequently).  I didn't realize the magnitude of it at the time, but they thoroughly equipped me for just about anything.
And I know I've seen some fMRI studies of brains on mushrooms and marijuana.
Yeah, I remember one recently about the surprising - to some - of the decreased activity in the brain on psylocibin.  I think it was presumed to be, in part, a decreased activity of inhibitors (which, if I remember my Oliver Sacks readings right, is associated with other, internally-generated hallucinations).  I agree there seems to be a slowly growing comeback, which is great.
Quote from: jamesA01
Wic - it may bother the shit out of you, but for me it's an even more intense mix of frustration, rage, anxiety fear etc. I've lost too many friends just like you have, and also probably lost far too much of my own mind too.
I think you misinterpreted me there - I was talking about losing them to the goofy mysticism.  If a generally rational, irreligious friend started attending church and yakking about the light of the lord spilling out of every pore, I'd consider that a loss too. :P

I like seeing deviance in the world, just as a personal opinion.  I agree that there can be very perturbing aspects of indulgent nihilism, shallowness and arrogance, but these just things people carry them around, we see it all over.  People who don't observe themselves, don't read books, etc.  At least they throw decent parties.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »
Hmm... hmm... but more importantly, prejudice in our world, Royce, is also profitable. See Wic's impending rant on pharmaceuticals ;).

Yeah, I actually got hold of "Bad Pharma" by Ben Goldacre, and that is surely going to be a depressing read for sure. It is rather absurd that this industry can alter consciousness of kids so they will fit the societal state of consciousness, which some people might call the slave mentality. Those other mind altering drugs that may teach you to think for yourself, those are not recommended. Of course the western empire works much better if the people in it ask as few vital questions as possible.

I might also add that some kids who have been medicated have probably gotten a better life because of it, so it is not necessarily 100% evil:)

Before I ever took any, I fortunately spent years reading about them from a solid group of educated trippers (many in their 30's/40's) discussing them on a forum (forum wasn't all about psychedelics, but the topic came up frequently).  I didn't realize the magnitude of it at the time, but they thoroughly equipped me for just about anything.

Now this is a brilliant advice, I wish I had done it the same way.

I had a few semi-bad experiences with psychedelics, like taking shrooms and going to nightclubs. That was a terrible experience for me. My older brother said that this is not the way you should take these substances, started talking about Timothy Leary and "set and setting" and so on, and I have to say that it is not bullshit at all. It made all the difference in the world for my experience of psychedelics.

Yeah, I remember one recently about the surprising - to some - of the decreased activity in the brain on psylocibin.  I think it was presumed to be, in part, a decreased activity of inhibitors (which, if I remember my Oliver Sacks readings right, is associated with other, internally-generated hallucinations).  I agree there seems to be a slowly growing comeback, which is great.

If the various effects of psilocybin interests you, I highly recommend the youtube channel called "maps". Lots of interesting talks on the subject.

jamesA01

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »
I think you misinterpreted me there - I was talking about losing them to the goofy mysticism.  If a generally rational, irreligious friend started attending church and yakking about the light of the lord spilling out of every pore, I'd consider that a loss too. :P

I like seeing deviance in the world, just as a personal opinion.  I agree that there can be very perturbing aspects of indulgent nihilism, shallowness and arrogance, but these just things people carry them around, we see it all over.  People who don't observe themselves, don't read books, etc.  At least they throw decent parties.

Ah I see! I've been to (and hosted) far too many of those parties. After a while the only doors of perception being opened are your own being kicked through by psychotic speed freaks.

I agree with you about the mysticism. Funny enough, my experience of it has shown it to be often MORE corrupt than any organized, conservative religion. There's something about telling people fluoride and heart medicine are poison and what you really need is to take dodgy shrooms in the forest with a gropey "druid" that makes me long for the dullness of sunday worship.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
I think you should also check this guy out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Ignacy_Witkiewicz. He was a Polish writer, poet and painter of the pre-WWII period, who experimented with mind-altering substances of various kinds. And he would sign his paintings with symbols that show what substance was he using while painting (or not - some are signed something like "two days without cigarettes", too). He also wrote a book about his experiences.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake