Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

read or no read [Malazan]

(1/9) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: jan ---Have anyone here read the malazan books by Steven Erikson?

Since I just love Bakkers books,im a bit curious about mr Erikson and his tales
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---I made it to Midnight Tides and I was in love with the series... at some point, that love dwindled and I've not picked it back up - though I've read all his Korbal and Broach short stories. Even despite, some of my favorite fantasy characters ever appearing in the series.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, jan :).
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Davias ---It's a good series and a few years ago, I would have said, it is among the best series of epic fantasy.

But after I have read Midnight Tides, my interest in the books dwindled slightly. I have only read his books in german and after Midnight Tides it took a long time before the next book came out. I have never had the intention to read his books in english. I bought the next two ( Reaper's Gale was split in two books, like all of Erikson's books in my language ), but didn't read it.

I have a few issues with the series. I like Erikson's worldbuilding and his ideas of magic, but I didn't like many characters in the books. The few characters I were interested in, were absent for thousands of pages and other characters annoyed me, especially the men and women of those different Malazan troops. All those mages and warriors were too similar in style and in their choice of words.

The new book "Forges of Darkness" seems to get deeper into the background story of my favourite character Anomander Rake and that has renewed my interest of the Malazan books slightly.

I think, when the whole series is translated, I will read them all again.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: jan ---thank you madness:) great initiative creating this

Im kind of a newcomer to the fantasy genre,I have only read some some Robin Hobb,GRRM and Bakker

Bakker is by far my favorite,mostly because of the philosophical touch he has,which I loved.

So while we all are waiting for "the unholy consult", I guess im looking for something just as good:)

I was also wondering if anyone have read "the chronicles of Thomas Covenant" by Stephen Donaldson?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Curethan ---Deadhouse Gates was the only really good Erikson volume imo.  The others don't really live in the memory.

Stephen Donaldson I read a long time ago.  Quite inventive, but rather depressing - the main character is a real asshat.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version