Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

read or no read [Malazan]

<< < (2/9) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---If you are looking for more suggestions, there is a, somewhat brief, discussion on various other books the people around here would recommend in the Literature board.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---+1 for Deadhouse Gates, Curethan. Amazing book, even as just a stand-alone piece of Erikson's mosaic.

jan, I figure you'd enjoy the Tyrants and Kings trilogy by John Marco... last book suffers a little but The Grand Design is amazing as is the Jackal of Nar, though for quite different reasons (the latter is heavy, almost like fantasy trench-warfare, the former very political).

Hmm... Gemmell is always good for a real generic kick (nothing overly thought provoking).
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Mog Kellhus ---I also abandoned the series after Midnight Tides.His books have some interesting scenes and good worldbuilding but i think the guy needs a better editor because all of them are too big and i always find it quite a slog to finish them.Deadhouse Gates is definitely my favourite,the chain of dogs storyline is excellent.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Galbrod ---I would say that the Malazan series (Steven Erikson and lets not forget Ian C Esslemont) is a definite must if you are a fan of extensive storylines of the gritty fashion. I started reading Gardens of the Moon a long time ago, but dropped it after a while. Some years later I picked it up again and I've read everything published in the series so far since then... The series draws heavily upon Steven's and Ian's experiences of roleplaying the Malazan setting. Whether that is a plus or a minus is strictly individual and (to some extent) dependent on your own attitude towards roleplaying. Personally, I love it and I've got the feeling that you can detect highlights from their gaming sessions in the wittiness of the dialogue. One of the key features of the storyline is the reshaping of the pantheon of the world as well as the ascendancy of worldly characters to levels of grandness and (ultimately) divinity.  In addition, I'd say that some parts of it (Deadhouse Gates primarily) is military fantasy at it's finest.

So, in short, a definate 'read' :-)
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Galbrod ---I would say that the Malazan series (Steven Erikson and lets not forget Ian C Esslemont) is a definite must if you are a fan of extensive storylines of the gritty fashion. I started reading Gardens of the Moon a long time ago, but dropped it after a while. Some years later I picked it up again and I've read everything published in the series so far since then... The series draws heavily upon Steven's and Ian's experiences of roleplaying the Malazan setting. Whether that is a plus or a minus is strictly individual and (to some extent) dependent on your own attitude towards roleplaying. Personally, I love it and I've got the feeling that you can detect highlights from their gaming sessions in the wittiness of the dialogue. One of the key features of the storyline is the reshaping of the pantheon of the world as well as the ascendancy of worldly characters to levels of grandness and (ultimately) divinity.  In addition, I'd say that some parts of it (Deadhouse Gates primarily) is military fantasy at it's finest.

So, in short, a definate 'read' :-)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version