H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2015, 09:00:39 pm »
H, have you read A Land Fit for Heroes, by Richard Morgan? Its a great series with a lot of great characters. Its really, really Grimdark and has maybe the next most horrific scene behind Inchoroi raping that guy in front of family. Morgan is right behind Bakker on my list of best fantasy authors.

No, I haven't read anything by him.  I'll try giving it a whirl.  Reading fantasy has really been bumming me out, since all I really want to read is TUC.  I'll take a look and see if I can get into it.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2015, 01:35:04 pm »
Webinars  are the best but I'm impressed you do it during staff meeting :)

Well, there are almost 70 of us, so I just find a nice quiet corner and get my kindle out. It would be more difficult with a paper book, though.

And another huge Morgan fan here, I certainly recommend Land Fit for Heroes - although I guess it would be even better to read the Takeshi Kovacs series first, which is hard s-f.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »
H, have you read A Land Fit for Heroes, by Richard Morgan? Its a great series with a lot of great characters. Its really, really Grimdark and has maybe the next most horrific scene behind Inchoroi raping that guy in front of family. Morgan is right behind Bakker on my list of best fantasy authors.

You should check out Paul Kearney. He likes to rape innocent people with swords.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2015, 04:39:08 pm »
I finished Timothy Zahn - Heirs to the Empire #2: Dark Force Rising on 23/10/2015

I have really enjoyed the first two books in this series - good pacing, good plot and passable prose. Ill get a real review up after I've finished the 3rd.

Starting on the 3rd next.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2015, 04:23:24 pm »
Read The Martian. Really a great book, even better than the movie, though the film did a great job.

I think that's 10 for the year.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Fiddler Farstrider

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2015, 10:40:57 pm »
Read The Martian. Really a great book, even better than the movie, though the film did a great job.

I think that's 10 for the year.

I see you are reading some Asimov books.  they are what really started my love for fantasy/Sci-Fi.  I'm sure I don't need to tell you but the the 14 books that encompass the Foundation, Empire, Robot series must all be read to get the total picture.

Fiddler Farstrider

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2015, 10:47:40 pm »
So far this year:

Assail
Forge of Darkness
Kingkiller 1-2
The First Law 1-3
Prince of Nothing 1-3
Aspect-Emperor 1-2
Picture of Dorian Gray
Waiting for the Barbarians

Currently reding the Broken Empire 1 & Perdido Street Station(my first Mieville)

Garet Jax

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2015, 01:58:39 pm »
Finished "The Skull Throne" by Peter Brett last night.  I rate this book a generous 3/10.

I think that puts me at 8 for the year and I am about halfway through Dune: Messiah.  I might make it after all.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:01:02 pm by Garet Jax »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2015, 05:50:08 pm »
Oh Perdido Street Station is great. Dark, but the writing is brilliant.

Getting back around to the original Foundation Trilogy might be a goal next year for me.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2015, 10:20:37 pm »
recently read/listened to

The Stone Man - Really cool/scary/eerie scifi story.  A man of stone appears in the UK and begins to walk in a straight line across the land.  Guns, bombs, whatever are useless at stopping or even slowing it's progress.  Buildings fall, people flee and panic, and no one can stop it from reaching it's destination: one unlucky victim.  When it comes back, no one has any idea of what to do except to give it what it wants.  Society is forced into sacrificing to these things.  Told from the POV of someone with mild Asperger syndrome, it's a nice take on the terror of inevitable doom.

Where the Hell is Tesla - Adventure story throughout the multiverse in hopes of finding Tesla and saving the world.  Fun story, felt kind of like John Dies at the End but much lighter.  Perhaps file under "dude lit"?

Wicked - Finally got around to reading this retelling of the Oz story and by god it was good.  Wicked fills in the gaps of why the Wicked Witch ended up being wicked.  I got The Magicians vibe from this book.  The writer fills in the political/religious/social stuff in the Oz world.  This is a sad book.

A Confederacy of Dunces - Amazing funny but more than funny story about a big guy in New Orleans.  The hero is lazy, endearing, intelligent, opinionated, irresponsible, in love, whiny, and a whole lot of other things.  It's amazing how bad the main character is and yet so lovable too (for the reader if no one else).  Think Thomas Aquinas, extremely overweight, living in the 60s, constantly at war with the modern world. 

Pippi Longstocking - Always wanted to read, finally got to.  Pippi is an expert liar.  Her lines made the story worth it.  She must have been part of the inspiration for Lyra in The Golden Compass.

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Post nuclear war, a monastery in west Texas keeps alive fragments of the learning of the 'ancients.'  The story is episodic like Foundation and follows the course of the world getting back onto it's feet, returning from savagery to computers with a new renaissance along the way.  The Roman Catholic church is one of the few things to survive the apocalypse, so future, albeit increasing distant from our own world, has this cool antiquated quality.  There's a whole recurrence of issues of faith vs reason, pope as political or spiritual leader, conflict between church and state.  Fun.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2015, 01:00:18 am »
Finished TDTCB for the forum re-read.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2015, 07:39:49 am »
A bad year for reading, but I slogged through my unwatched movies pile and watched about 150, and kept up with new acquisitions, the unwatched pile is finally below fifty, so overall a success for purposeful media consumption even if my unread pile has grown as I focused on reducing one pile at a time.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2015, 07:28:12 pm »
hey hey!  just finished Red Rising and Golden Son and can recommend both!  the setting is the future, the solar system, and humanity is divided into class/labor groups by color.  the Golds rule all, the Reds are slaves to all.  revolution, uprising, topple the top dogs

- Red Rising: Plato + Ender's Game + brutality ... starts a little slow for me but is well worth it
- Golden Son: Dune + Leviathan + GRRM hijinks ... war, betrayal, cool dueling

my complaints--the series does start a bits slow in book 1, but i really really enjoyed both books overall.  the main character is a bit maudlin from time to time, but it's not too bad.

the final book in the trilogy comes out in Feb!!!

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »
Managed to finish Lynch's The Republic of Thieves before the end of the year - those last two days off really helped, as I read last third of the book then.
It's a good read but I had two problems with it. Firstly, I've forgotten quite a lot from books 1 and 2 before I got to reading this one, which caused some problems. Secondly, with a good book, I often feel too much for the characters and the things Locke did in this one, well, were quite embarassing sometimes. But still a good read.
And then I read on his website that the next book in the series has been postponed to sometime in 2016. Not again, sigh.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2015, 09:46:28 pm »
Managed to finish Lynch's The Republic of Thieves before the end of the year - those last two days off really helped, as I read last third of the book then.
It's a good read but I had two problems with it. Firstly, I've forgotten quite a lot from books 1 and 2 before I got to reading this one, which caused some problems. Secondly, with a good book, I often feel too much for the characters and the things Locke did in this one, well, were quite embarassing sometimes. But still a good read.
And then I read on his website that the next book in the series has been postponed to sometime in 2016. Not again, sigh.

I've read Lies of Locke Lamora, and it was so so IMHO. I started Red Seas Under Red Skies and something else took me away from it and I've never got back to it. I need to start something new after this reread, I might have to give this a go again.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,