Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »
So I thought I'd give people a couple days...

Hey Madness. Without revealing any names... is there anyone/anything whom we think is dead that turns out alive or vice versa?

I feel like the thread has vetoed an answer, even if I would have considered that one (and Wilshire's right, I wouldn't - it's so much easier to fan the flames of ambiguity by writing this non-answer ;)).

Madness: you suggested TUC might work better as two books? Is this from a publisher's standpoint (i.e. reduced costs) or more of a feeling based on the book's internal structure? 300,000 words isn't that huge a word count IMO.

As I wrote... even with insight, I absolutely do not understand how publishing works. It makes me nervous for anything that I would like to write and distribute in the future.

My commentary was based on the fact that I don't understand publishing. I felt the story would benefit from more words in some parts - I mean, much of my mid-wifery itself was simply offering my perspective on certain instances of clarity/ambiguity so Bakker can play that line however he chooses - but another part is simply that I want more Bakker. I wanted to read more about certain things, I wanted him to spend more words, if possible, spend more time on the epic moments (so essentially this turned into "is it possible to make this two books?" but again, I know absolutely nothing about the "publishing threshold" for wordcounts)...

Also -- though you've sort of answered this question - does TUC definitely wrap up the conflicts introduced in the prior two volumes, so that if this is the last TSA book, it would be relatively satisfactory from a fan's perspective?

There is no question to me about TSTSNBN. Bakker doesn't have a choice in the matter. To be succinct, as a fan and a friend, I'm very happy that completing TAE would feel complete for Bakker who then satisfies certain life-long ambitions in terms of story-writing. But TSTSNBN needs to happen for the fans.

Don't go Herbert on us, Bakker... as much as there are a number of us here who have volunteered ourselves for the writing-conglomerate that will try and purchase and complete the story.

If the entirety of The Second Apocalypse is accomplished, Bakker will have truly introduced another piece of magic fabric to our human quilt.

Finally, is it action-packed (like WLW) or more slow-burn (like TJE)?

I understand if you don't feel comfortable being precise on these questions. Thank you for giving us some tidbits to masticate... it's been a long wait.

Common', ian :). This is Earwa. It's the climax of TAE. Shit hits the fan.

Awesome stuff, Madness.

Do we get confirmation about whether the Circumfixion miracle of the heart was accomplished by mundane, arcane or divine means?

Welcome back to the Second Apocalypse, unJon ;).

That makes sense. I guess between the two its more of a slow burn, but I always felt the first book was the slowest (and potentially my favorite, though hard to say).

I agree... TDTCB is the slowest, and probably my favorite, overall.

Given that Bakker is midlist (hopefully still), what about that expanded appendix? I've told him on his blog to initiate a simple paypal account or something; perhaps he could release it on his website and make some pure-profit coin to boot.

have the publishers include a QR code in the book which you can redeem for your choice of ebook format for the encyclopedia.  And then also offer the encyclopedia for sale.

Both real cool ideas. Again, I have little-to-no understanding as to how the publisher's dictation affects the process. I think it would be interesting to see the fans patronize the Expanded Encyclopaedia.

Madness:
1) will we see a great deal of Golgotterath in this final book? I guess we will, but I ask just the same
2) any explanation on this book about why Aurang looked like a human the first time he met Esmenet?
3) Is it explained who the hell burned the White Ships in Neleost?
4) is there any connection between the Outside/the Gods and the concept of Faërian Drama as exposed by Tolkien, maybe transposed on a digital/cybernetic level? Since there is a diaeresis/umlaut, "Faërian" is at least supposed to be a word favoured by Bakker.
5) Is the word apocalypse to be intended as in its original greek meaning, aka as a Revelation? Is TUC a colossal Revelation on the real ontology/metaphysics of Eärwa?
Ok, I've written enough bullshit to fill a cargo

Gorgorotterath, welcome back. I haven't read On Fairy-Stories in a long time. I'm probably going to revisit it in light of your commentary. And I'm not sure that Bakker intended the "apokalypsis" association but it is apt metaphor for the series entire, not necessarily your thought specifically (but take that as a non-answer ;)).

I definitely voiced the thought that it would benefit from being split up into two books.

ARGH.

You had one job.

Also, wtf is TSTSBN? The Second Thought Shortly Before Now?

(wasn't this forum the one that came up a couple of years ago? I thought I was already registered but can't even find the few posts I made)

Welcome back to the Second Apocalypse, Abalieno. It's so nice to see familiar names. I searched and there are absolutely quoted posts from your original account at the Forumer Second Apocalypse (which was the free version of this forum). The search isn't great at picking up the quoted portions of the forum (though maybe you only have a couple posts). I manually quoted the entirety of v1, though, so I assure you your original contribution is still here. The accounts didn't carry from v1 to v2, unfortunately - all the posts from v1, though still organized as originally posted, are under the moniker What Came Before.

Lol - what was my one job?

As a fan and an aspiring writer, there was no way I was going to counsel Bakker to rush deliver. Nor do I care if I don't get the conclusion that I want to the series... because that sounds incoherent. I would much rather that the story is told as best as Bakker can tell it. Otherwise, I think I explained my thoughts fairly clearly to ivance up-post.

Cheers all.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:44:42 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 05:19:55 pm »
Sales need to go up so they publish this already.  2015 is far far away in a galaxy even further away.  I need this yesterday, this story needs to be published now.  Give the man everything he needs so he can start TSTSNBN already while we speculate about the ending of tAE.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 07:59:48 am »
you had one job and you fucked it up. If we are punished with two books where there were once one, forcing all of us to wait even fucking LONGER we will subject you to the Agonies.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:55 am »
Sales need to go up so they publish this already.  2015 is far far away in a galaxy even further away.  I need this yesterday, this story needs to be published now.  Give the man everything he needs so he can start TSTSNBN already while we speculate about the ending of tAE.

+1

you had one job and you fucked it up. If we are punished with two books where there were once one, forcing all of us to wait even fucking LONGER we will subject you to the Agonies.

You know not of what you speak :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 01:07:40 pm »
Punished with 2 books? I don't know about you, but at least for me, the more books the better.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2014, 06:19:13 pm »
it's not the content or the volume that matters, it's the fucking waiting.  Two books equals more years waiting to find out.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 06:59:23 pm »
it's not the content or the volume that matters, it's the fucking waiting.  Two books equals more years waiting to find out.

Lol... I don't even really know how to respond to this? To be honest, I'm not quite sure this is supposed to be serious?

"it's not the content or the volume that matters"

What?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 08:07:02 pm »
Not about content or volume? Lol. That's the whole thing, isnt it? Just print out a piece of paper that says "the end"  and slap The Unholy Consult on the top. At least you wouldn't have to wait, right?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Zadok

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 08:39:03 pm »
I've gotten to points where I didn't really like what I was reading/watching anymore but I felt like I invested so much time that I just wanted to see "the end".(Lost and ASOIAF mostly)  When something is really good though the speculation and the re-reads while waiting for the next volume are probably better than the initial read to me.  I do have the tendency to miss things in my haste to get to the end on my first reads too though.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2014, 04:39:16 pm »
I grok you, Zadok...

However, I have to wonder where this misconception that we're "nearing the end" has come from. Considering that TSTSNBN concludes The Second Apocalypse, TUC would put us at two thirds through...

If Bakker's readership is simply waiting for the series to end, at this point, I'd say my efforts (like running a forum, promoting a book series, TSACast, etc, etc) (not to mention, Bakker's in writing the series at all) are too little, too late... basically pointless, neh?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »
I think the idea of "the end" comes from one of his interviews, something about TUC being the end of the story he originally conceptualized all those years ago.

Zadok

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »
I think the idea of "the end" comes from one of his interviews, something about TUC being the end of the story he originally conceptualized all those years ago.

That's the impression I always had before I started reading some of these threads.  I had heard about the possible third trilogy but I thought "The Second Apocalypse" would be finished after the next book.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
I believe the whole series was always going to be 3 parts. Prince of Nothing, Aspect Emperor, and TSTSNBN (the series that shall not be named).

PoN and AE are trilogies, and the last I heard, TSTSNBN was originally planned to be a duology but will more likely be a trilogy, but its all called "The Second Apocalypse" up to and including TSTSNBN. Or so goes my understanding.

Francis Buck

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 10:11:18 pm »
I believe the whole series was always going to be 3 parts. Prince of Nothing, Aspect Emperor, and TSTSNBN (the series that shall not be named).

PoN and AE are trilogies, and the last I heard, TSTSNBN was originally planned to be a duology but will more likely be a trilogy, but its all called "The Second Apocalypse" up to and including TSTSNBN. Or so goes my understanding.

Same. I think that one Bakker blog post was misconstrued slightly by fans to mean "the end of the series", whereas it really meant "getting to the point where all the pieces he wanted in play, ARE in play). The series really has been one long, slow revelation of layers. Dunyain, Three Seas Politics, the Inchoroi, the Outside/Gods, and the Nonmen. I suspect there's at least one more big piece we don't know about.

Zadok

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2014, 10:48:33 pm »
I'm not sure how I came by my assumptions, maybe because he couldn't say anything about the third series I thought it would take place in the same world but not necessarily be directly connected to the first two.