Earwa > The Almanac: TAE Edition

The Slog WLW - Chapter 14 [Spoilers]

<< < (2/4) > >>

Blackstone:

--- Quote from: MSJ on April 21, 2016, 03:42:05 pm ---
--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 21, 2016, 03:22:36 pm ---I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I think I recall Maithanet looking directly at Kelmomas and then the last words. I think the inference is that he realizes something is up with Kelmomas and he wants Esmi to warn Kellhus. The line about he angel with the demon face is intriguing. Shouldn't it be the other way around though?

@H - How do we know the TTT is a lie?

--- End quote ---

Moe explains it in TTT, it's Viramsata. The lie made breath (ground).

--- End quote ---

Are we taking this at face value?

--- Quote from: profgrape on April 21, 2016, 03:36:01 pm ---Kelmomas is still hiding when Maithanet is killed.   Before he's killed, however, he tells her "He isn't what you think he is, Esmi."

--- End quote ---
I'm going to have to go back and re-read this. So when Maithanet says, "he isn't what you think he is," which HE is Maithanet referring to? ...if only I wasn't so far from my copy of the book.

profgrape:

--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 21, 2016, 04:07:34 pm ---
--- Quote from: profgrape on April 21, 2016, 03:36:01 pm ---Kelmomas is still hiding when Maithanet is killed.   Before he's killed, however, he tells her "He isn't what you think he is, Esmi."

--- End quote ---
I'm going to have to go back and re-read this. So when Maithanet says, "he isn't what you think he is," which HE is Maithanet referring to? ...if only I wasn't so far from my copy of the book.

--- End quote ---

He's referring to Kelmomas.  An extended excerpt:

--- Quote ---"Thelli is safe," he said with a reassuring smile. "Kelmomas hides yet in the palace."
Terror hooked her throat -- terror and crashing relief. "What? Along?"
His eyes seemed to lose focus, but even before she had registered it, he was there, before her, as immediate as her husband had ever been. "He isn't what you think he is, Esmi."

--- End quote ---

This happens on the previous page to "you must tell my broth--!"  Which is why I think that what he wants to share with Kellhus is that the Gods' machinations are invisible even to the Dunyain.

Blackstone:

--- Quote from: profgrape on April 21, 2016, 04:12:51 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

He's referring to Kelmomas.  An extended excerpt:

--- Quote ---"Thelli is safe," he said with a reassuring smile. "Kelmomas hides yet in the palace."
Terror hooked her throat -- terror and crashing relief. "What? Along?"
His eyes seemed to lose focus, but even before she had registered it, he was there, before her, as immediate as her husband had ever been. "He isn't what you think he is, Esmi."

--- End quote ---

This happens on the previous page to "you must tell my broth--!"  Which is why I think that what he wants to share with Kellhus is that the Gods' machinations are invisible even to the Dunyain.

--- End quote ---
+1 for the heavy lifting :)

I agree with your assessment.

H:

--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 21, 2016, 03:22:36 pm ---I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I think I recall Maithanet looking directly at Kelmomas and then the last words. I think the inference is that he realizes something is up with Kelmomas and he wants Esmi to warn Kellhus. The line about he angel with the demon face is intriguing. Shouldn't it be the other way around though?

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I do.  Kellhus alludes to it too at times, for example, chapter 11 of WLW, Esmenet says to Kellhus:

--- Quote ---"So you lied?"
A small smile. "I guided. I guided them to a lesser falsehood."
"Then what is the truth?"
He had laughed, shining as if anointed in oil.
"You would call me a liar if I told you," he had said.
--- End quote ---

Also, in chapter 7, when he acknowledges to Proyas that what Akka says in the Compendium is true, he is tacitly admitting that what he claims is then false.  He could be lying, but we know that Akka did write what is essentially the truth in the Compendium, from what we can read of it in the small excerpts.

Blackstone:

--- Quote from: H on April 21, 2016, 04:35:28 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I do.  Kellhus alludes to it too at times, for example, chapter 11 of WLW, Esmenet says to Kellhus:

--- Quote ---"So you lied?"
A small smile. "I guided. I guided them to a lesser falsehood."
"Then what is the truth?"
He had laughed, shining as if anointed in oil.
"You would call me a liar if I told you," he had said.
--- End quote ---

Also, in chapter 7, when he acknowledges to Proyas that what Akka says in the Compendium is true, he is tacitly admitting that what he claims is then false.  He could be lying, but we know that Akka did write what is essentially the truth in the Compendium, from what we can read of it in the small excerpts.

--- End quote ---

I see where we are diverging here. What do you think the TTT is?

To me, it is (over simplifying here) Kellhus saving mankind from the Consult and whatever are the implications of that (aspiration to godhood?). And if that's the case, then the TTT isn't a lie. When Kellhus says "a lesser falsehood" I think he means convincing people that he is a prophet/living god/what have you, and NOT his war with Golgotterath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version