[TGO Spoilers] The Thousandfold Thought & Kellhus

• 5 Replies

W00tard

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: July 13, 2016, 12:42:48 am »
This idea has been slowly coalescing as I've now spent the last couple days re-reading parts of TGO.

Koringhus provided me some hints as to the Dunyain method of thinking--baring themselves as a literal parallel processor, comparing and pruning possibilities... Thousands of simultaneous threads in operation built/selected for the purpose of efficient computation.  This fact, considered alongside Kellhus' descriptions of the Thousandfold Thought as an entity somewhat independent of himself, but in some way reliant on him has led me to believe that the Thousandfold Thought is an AI program running on Dunyain hardware.  Moenghus initially "developed" the AI--but it saw the opportunity to upgrade its hardware with the approach of Kellhus (although how it managed to transmit itself from one to the other is still a bit unclear--I'm currently leaning toward through the outside, however the Psukhe is another possibility).

This also led me to a somewhat novel reading on the passage about the Sons and the Outside from Kellhus' POV, where (as others have before theorized) the head on the pole is Onkis--goddess of the darkness that comes before...  however the He and you are actually separate entities--He being Kellhus and you being the AI known as the Thousandfold Thought.

He is here... with you... not so much inside me as speaking with your voice. [...]  So he seizes the lake and the thousand babes and the void and the massing-descending Sons and the lamentations-that-are-honey, and he rips them about the pole, transforms here into here, this-place-inside-where-you-sit-now [...] You refuse to drip fear like honey--because you have no fear.  Because you fear not damnation.

TGO p. 44-45

So in this case Kellhus is viewing the outside while processing the Thousandfold Thought--and it forces temporal circumstance upon the outside relative to Kellhus at the time and place of his exploration...  and the inside-where-you-sit-now is quite literal, as Kellhus is quite literally the carrier of the Thousandfold Thought.  Similarly, the Thousandfold Thought is without fear, for as an AI, it can have no fear.

It also seems to me that the head on the pole (referencing Onkis) could simply mean that Kellhus recognizes that he is still as ignorant of his origins as Koringhus also realizes later...  and that the whole reference to the head on the pole is quite literally him using his ignorance as a way of ignoring damnation.

later:

This was what his father's Thousandfold Thought had made. [...] A pattern conquering patterns, reproducing on the scales of both insects and heavens; heartbeats, and ages.  All bound upon him, Anasurimbur Kellhus. [...]  He was as much a creature of the Thought as it was a creature of him.

TGO p. 49

Just a little more supporting evidence for a self-programming/self-replicating piece of code... something like an AI.

As an aside--did anyone notice that Kellhus and Proyas were drinking chanv-spiked wine during one of their conversations (page 122 of the US TGO release)?  Does chanv in some way help mitigate the madness induced by eating Sranc?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:45:24 am »
Chanv-laced anpoi. And Chanv increases intellect, so yea might offset it somehow.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

W00tard

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 12:51:44 am »
It was also said to dull emotion, I think.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »
I personally don't like the whole AI and or simulation theory stuIf for describing)earwa. There just isn't that kind if technology  running around ears. Sure, inchoroi and their tech, but really it's an iron age society. They have magic and special metaphysics, hell and God's are real... They don't have computer AIs taking over the world.

I think as you said, the big problem with your theory is the whole transmission thing. I dunno, using tech to describe things seems wrong for earwa in my moms.

Also, sorry if any typos, my eyes are dilated at the eye doctor, I can barely read lol.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:51:41 am »
I do believe that the TT is now a direct extension of Kelhus. However, I also believe that it has changed from its original stated purpose - to destroy the Consult. That's still part of it, but closing the Outside and saving humanity from damnation is at the core of it now also.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 03:08:09 pm »
Just had an idea based off the idea I had in another thread.

I wonder if the Thousandfold Thought is an extreme manifestation of all the "voices" that Koringhus hears.  That is, that the TT is when all the different threads all come together and work in concert?

Just a hair-brained non-sequitur for everyone.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira