General > Author Q&A

Midlist Authors & Online Piracy

<< < (11/12) > >>

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: H on August 10, 2017, 02:31:57 pm ---Moderator note: Just a friendly reminder that if we aren't going to conduct this in a civil manner, we aren't going to do it at all.

Not saying anyone has been uncivil just yet, but I think we are very near a precipice.  Let's be charitable in our reading of each other.

--- End quote ---

To add, if anyone feels that there should be more or less moderation in this thread, please let us know :) . You guys are all great, thanks for engaging.

MisterGuyMan:
No Problem.  I really do prefer the prevention method of moderation and we should be good going forward.

Frail:
I can't quite nail this point down, but there is something to be said about millennials taking this issue too personally, and having a warped perspective. The internet has been so instrumental in their lives / growing up that they cant help but see themselves personally shaping it. "I am apart of this movement."

It also doesn't help that we live live in an Everything Now era. Any critism of this new state is met with "Get with the times old man!"

And yeah, people will make record profits even with piracy, the internet has simply built more roads to access customers.

Callan S.:
MGM,

--- Quote ---Please stop the soap box antics.  You have basically ignored every major point I've responded with.
--- End quote ---

Maybe it's just that. And in regards to what I say, that you're reading my example uncharitably, could that be the case?

Or only I could be doing 'soap box antics', but you could not be falling into any similar habit? Only the other guy, me, could be doing something wrong, not you?

If you want to tell others they've done wrong but not consider you might have done wrong, then it's just a question of whether the forum involved enables your trolling. It really is trolling to say others are doing something wrong, but not consider you could be too.

I've said 'Maybe' to your charge of soap boxing. Can you say 'maybe' to my charge you've read and replied uncharitably? (Edit: and at the start of your post, like I did, because we're not going to enable one way listening/advertising here). If not, you're trolling. I don't know why you think you think you're better and can tell others they've done something wrong, but you don't have to say you'll consider you've done something wrong - you're not our peer? I would prefer moderation to step in at that point, rather than enabling someone to tell others they are doing something bad but plug their ears to hearing they are doing something bad.

If I'm ignoring all your points, if you actually say 'Maybe' to the idea you've read and replied uncharitably, we'll see if I ignore that.

In regards to moderation: Yeah, I don't think someone acting like they are not everyone else's peer in how they feel they can judge others without considering judgements apply to them...I don't think that's social behavior. If you're gunna judge, you've gotta be able to openly consider judgements laid toward you. Something that Voxday or acrackedmoon would never do, o/c.

MSJ:
Callan S., I've noticed in this forum and at the "other" one also, you seem to get very confrontational and seem to talk down to others. Now, I am not saying this is your intent, sir. I am very bad at internet conversation and tend to say things the wrong way. In a earlier post, MGM, explicicty said that he felt your anger towards him. And, he was "showing hisself the door". You haven't acknowledged that. Maybe MGM needs to acknowledge certain things to make this conversation more amicable. Maybe you need to acknowledge certain other things than what you chose to pick to acknowledge. You want his respect of readiing your whole post and acknowledging all of it, but, you haven't done the same.

Sorry, not a MOD, not trying to be one, just offering observations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version