The Knife of Many Hands [Spoilers]

• 41 Replies

Francis Buck

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »
Stumbled across this description of Cnaiur in TPON, during our very first meeting with him (just after one of the other chieftains has mocked him):

Cnaiur's ears buzzed. Earth and sky shrank, until the whole world became laughing, yellow-toothed faces. He could feel it stir within him, his second soul, the one that blotted the sun and painted the earth with blood. Their laughter faltered before his menace. His glare struck even the smirks from their faces.

I thought it was worth pointing out.

Garet Jax

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 09:45:51 pm »
It was really nice to read some Bakker again.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:50 am »
It would probably be a good idea for those who have read the issue to try to review it on Amazon since it only has one review compared to five for the first issue which featured stories from Mark Lawrence and Adrian Tchaikovsky. We don’t want to give the impression that no one has read the “Bakker issue.”

Garet Jax

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 12:51:58 pm »
It would probably be a good idea for those who have read the issue to try to review it on Amazon since it only has one review compared to five for the first issue which featured stories from Mark Lawrence and Adrian Tchaikovsky. We don’t want to give the impression that no one has read the “Bakker issue.”

Great idea!  On my way to do just that.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 04:12:05 pm »
Lol - are you Ryan, GJ?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 08:16:32 am »
Lol - are you Ryan, GJ?

I think he was being funny?

Garet Jax

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »
Lol - are you Ryan, GJ?

I think he was being funny?

No sirs.  I wasn't trying to be funny, it is actually a great idea, Akkeägni, I just didn't get around to doing it yesterday.

Not Ryan  8)

Raizen

• Suthenti
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 06:54:54 pm »
I'm Ryan, I was doing my best to entertain and still give the issue a positive review.  I rather enjoyed it.
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 07:21:45 pm »
Lol - good job, Raizen. I was joking with GJ because the other night we were asking him about his real name :P.

But I'm going to take my own advice to him and write a review now too.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 12:02:07 am »
So anyone have some opinions on the second half? Thoughts on what actually went down during the blackout in the Scarlet Spires? At first I thought Shinurta was using a Cant of Compulsion on Ratakila at the end, but it doesn't seem nearly that simple. Between the Daimos, and the implication of a pit (capital P?) opening beneath Rata, as well as the strange flashbacks throughout, it seemed as though they were trying to perhaps control the Incarnal...or something. I really have no idea.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 11:05:02 pm »
For them, she was a place where the fires of damnation licked as a whore's tongue.

So... what the fuck does the above line mean?

eta: ah... sorry, I thought it said "licked a whore's tongue" when it's "licked as a whore's tongue".

eta2: it still makes no sense.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:12:16 pm by Ejjannelsouda »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 10:52:35 am »
Don't have the whole story with me to check the context, but I believe it could that he is saying that in this place, the damning fire's caress is that of a whore's tongue.

Perhaps rephrased as, here damnation takes it's physical form not as fire but as the caress of wonton sexuality.  That is a pretty loaded analogy but I don't have the time to unpack all of it now.

Or something like that.  Smarter people can probably come up with some better interpretations. 
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 12:40:52 pm »
Uh - I need to rethink what I know about this Atrocity Tale entirely because I'm not sure what I thought was missing from KOMH is, in fact, missing. It deserves a closer reading by me. I'm committing lapses recently.

For them, she was a place where the fires of damnation licked as a whore's tongue.

To parse in context, For them [the pirate crew of the Momas Gale], she [Carythusal] was a place where the fires of damnation licked as a whore's tongue [where sins damning you are as pleasures to be had].

That's my take, anyhow.

I am super fallible.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 12:52:29 pm »
That's what I thought, but I'm still not sure how the fires of damnation (the punishment) are analogous to a 'whore's tongue' in Carythusal. Seems to me that Bakker is bending over backwards to insert the word whore in everything.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 01:34:56 pm »
Hmm... fairly sure that pirates, fictive or otherwise, like sex for money.

In context, it seems more like that Bakker is suggesting a couple things. Carythusal is like Vegas of the Three-Seas. The Pirates of the Momas Gale are Damned and don't care. So things that might previously seem like Damnable sins to them are instead simply viewed by them as more pleasures.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer