The thing we're all missing

• 25 Replies

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:01 am »
I'm pretty sure the Spearman was simp,y referred to as an Erattic after Kellhus beats him.

I had been hoping for a big name.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 08:14:48 am »
Huh, is that so? I wouldn't trust an erratic with it.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:19 am »
For me, this induction rules out convoluted theories that defy contradiction
I feel the need to second this statement.

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 12:56:37 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Spearman was simp,y referred to as an Erattic after Kellhus beats him.

I had been hoping for a big name.
I re-read the section after someone pointed it out earlier (because I kept thinking it was Aurang). It was referred to as an Erattic.

As to Hogman's points.
- I think the first reference really is just in regards to Ark. That the ship was at least somehow playing a role, in spite of dying. Or at least the machinery was allowing them to do more than their meager numbers.
- As to this point, I feel a lot less confident. But I think it might be the idea that Shauriatas might be within the Mutilated. Given his penchant for soul trapping magics, their spiritual strength, and their speaking in turn that the mage used in his other multi-vessel? I think it was suppose to be vaguely hinted as a possibility.

Second possibility, they wanted the Dunyain to join them. Ultimately it is very much a good thing to have four super-intelligent thought dancers at the fore. They were able to start grasping the Tekne, they beat Kellhus (in a manner of speaking), and brought back the No-God. One could debate how much they played into it, but the Consult needs all the help they can get, given the way two of their main members were whipped. Whether or not the Dunyain think they've subsumed the Consult, ultimately it is to the benefit of the surviving members.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:45 am »
What boat could be that certain one that Bakker mentioned?
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 05:39:17 pm »
I'm on board with Ark still having some degree of capacity, but I think another factor could be the Inverse Fire.  It appears to have the ability to sooth Erratics and bring them back to some semblance of sanity and lucidity, at least temporarily.  Mek essentially says as much in his scene with Kellhus.  So perhaps the Consult simply exposes their Erratics to the Inverse Fire when they need some extra brainpower or flunkies who can function at a higher level than Sranc or Skinspies.

generalguy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »
I'm on board with Ark still having some degree of capacity, but I think another factor could be the Inverse Fire.  It appears to have the ability to sooth Erratics and bring them back to some semblance of sanity and lucidity, at least temporarily.  Mek essentially says as much in his scene with Kellhus.  So perhaps the Consult simply exposes their Erratics to the Inverse Fire when they need some extra brainpower or flunkies who can function at a higher level than Sranc or Skinspies.

well yeah if the one thing that jogs memories is trauma then seeing your own damnation has to rank up there

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 10:07:01 am »
Something I missed in the first read-through: In the first chapter, Serwa recalls Seswatha wearing the Amiolas three times. She calls Immiricas' soul "the Goad" to remind the one wearing it of Hate. It therefore seems to fulfil the same function as the Inverse Fire, while at the same time referencing Ajokli.
No exact idea what this means though.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 12:49:21 pm »
I did note, as I was finishing the book, that apparently Malowebi suggests the Mbimayu have a chronicle of various soul-trapping/forestalling Damnation attempts across history.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

jurble

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 11:19:38 pm »

Inverse-Fire->calmed Erratics is one of the ideas that crossed my mind in the previous threads.  But I'm not too certain about it, because like Curethan said, it's something that should 'obvious', but the only evidence we have for it is Mek's reaction to the Fire.   I myself have no idea what Bakker might consider to be the (supposedly) obvious answer.  The author's PoV isn't the same as the readers.

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 02:11:45 am »
There was a scene from the Nau-Cayuti dreams where he sees a bunch of Nonmen staring into the fire in the Golden Room, if I recall correctly.