What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:20 pm »
Quote from: AimmarCair
For the sake of senseless crackpot theories:

Meppa is Sos-Praniura, best student of Gin'yursis, kept himself alive through various means...

(possibly Meppa's weird metal ring/blindfold acts in the same way as Shae's ring of ten people keeping the soul from the outside???)

Plagued with angst over what his school had become/birthed (Shaeonara/Consult/No-God) and going into hiding, he began masquerading as a Shrial Priest, then becoming Fane, then teaching his new non-gnostic sorcery to the Kianene. Then he wiped his own mind for more passion.

YMMV

Actually I can probably debunk this sleep deprived crackpot right now:

The fact that Fane is Nansur (I think?) and also that Mangaecca/Sohonc etc were all Norsirai I assume then he'd have to be pretty impressive in the makeup department to go from Norsirai to Nansur to nut-brown (although he could've got a serious tan in the desert as Fane...).

Pointless post.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »
Quote from: Meyna
Quote from: AimmarCair
Pointless post.

Not at all. I like this theory -- the details that you've offered are quite specific, true, but the initial concept itself I enjoy.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:31 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Did you peruse the thread at all, AimmarCair ;)? No hypothesis is too far gone.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:37 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
There was something I mentioned on another thread that I thought I ought to mention here.

I don't recall that we've really pointed out Fanayal's line about "The people say he was sent by the Solitary God."  Then Malo asks him what he thinks, and Fanayal says something like "I say that he was sent to me." 

I think that this strongly implies (but doesn't prove) that Meppa was not some regular Cishaurim who survived Shimeh.  Those lines suggest to me that the Fanim civilization probably believed the Cishaurim to have been completely wiped out after Shimeh before Meppa miraculously (in their eyes at least) showed up.

If that is the case (again, not proven), it seems to suggest that a lot of our crackpottery has newfound virtue (or so I tell myself).  I think it ups the odds that he's either a previous character, the result of Dunyain machinations (maybe Moe, maybe Kellhus), or some metaphysical or revelatory something or other (reincarnation, new discovery of Water and what it means), etc...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:42 pm »
Quote from: Madness
+1 - I'm starting to think spontaneous reemergence of the Psukhe is likely too; goddamn, do I want it to be Moenghus the Elder though ;).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »
Quote from: Meyna
One of the pro-science/anti-religion arguments one often hears is that if all references to a particular religion were wiped out, then an attempt to recreate that religion would result in a vastly different product, whereas with science, the same laws and principles would be derived anew.

The rediscovery of the Psukhe has some profound implications to the "correctness" of the art. If the Psukhe was indeed wiped out and then rediscovered (and so quickly!) in its same form, then supporters of the "Fane / Psukhe is right" crowd may be in for a treat. The Gnostic schools needed the wisdom of the nonmen for their art, and the Anagogis is yet another step behind original concepts. Could humans re-derive the Gnosis and Anagogis in their pure form if need be? Could the nonmen even do it?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2013, 01:29:02 pm »
A Nerdanel to warp your perception:

Meppa is the little boy from the end of TTT, Consult-Cishaurim, their attempt to reverse-engineer the craft that had so perplexed them until the coming of the Dunyain...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2013, 05:36:23 pm »
So, Meppa's name came up in PON (I think it was TTT), in reference to a specific cant known to the Cishaurim.  It was called "the Meppa Cataract" and was mentioned (only once) as being used by the Cish as one of their dispensations of water.  I don't think that was a coincidence.  Following on from that, he had to have been established as someone important/powerful in the Tribe of Water.  Assuming Meppa is, indeed, the one for whom the Cataract was named, his identity was unknown to the Schools outside of Fanim lands.  He was never mentioned by the Scarlet Spires as one of the Primaries of the Cish.  I suspect he is another son of Moenghus, though as to what his role is within the confines of the Thousandfold Thought is obviously still a mystery.  Moe likes those names that begin with 'M', though...  Moenghus, Mallahet, Maithanet... Meppa?
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:25 pm »
There's also mention of a Meppa River, if I remember correctly? [Honestly, probably in this thread. Going to look.] [There is not and I remember where that was mentioned. In any case, retracted. The argument was that if the Scarlet Spires cast by analogy than maybe Meppa is a river.]

Meppa as the innovator of the Meppa Cataract is interesting, though.

My issue, specifically, is that Fanayal doesn't know who Meppa is... in that, I don't see how Meppa could have been one of the Primaries during Fanayal and Kascamandri's reigns as Padirajah.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:11:53 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2013, 11:20:17 pm »
There's also mention of a Meppa River, if I remember correctly? [Honestly, probably in this thread. Going to look.] [There is not and I remember where that was mentioned. In any case, retracted. The argument was that if the Scarlet Spires cast by analogy than maybe Meppa is a river.]

Meppa as the innovator of the Meppa Cataract is interesting, though.

My issue, specifically, is that Fanayal doesn't know who Meppa is... in that, I don't see how Meppa could have been one of the Primaries during Fanayal and Kascamandri's reigns as Padirajah.

Meppa may have been Kascamandri's ace-in-the-hole, and the sudden death of the later resulted in this ignorance on Fanayal's part. Meppa may have found it prudent to keep the details of his role in the grand scheme a secret for now.

The Cishaurim cant seemingly named after Meppa is an interesting detail, for sure.
witness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2013, 11:59:10 pm »
  I suspect he is another son of Moenghus, though as to what his role is within the confines of the Thousandfold Thought is obviously still a mystery.  Moe likes those names that begin with 'M', though...  Moenghus, Mallahet, Maithanet... Meppa?

I find it hard to believe that its a coincidence. I suppose it is possible that our 'Meppa' could remember little about his own past, so he chose a famous name from the Cishaurim past.

Also, I have a brief nerdanel on the topic of Moe's kids. I call "The Six Scions of Moenghus" theory (or alternately, with less alliteration, "the six children of Moe"), which is located at this topic: The Maithanet-Inrilatas Conversation

The relevant post is about half way down the first page but I'll repost it here to save you the trouble:

This was something of a curiosity. Reading carefully (or with bias i guess) it can be seen that much more is going on than what was actually said. What was said and what was read :P

"How many children did grandfather sire?"
"Six," ...
"Were any of them like me?"
A fraction of a heartbeat.
"I have no way of knowing. He drowned them at the first sign of peculiarities."
"And you were the only one that expressed ... balance?"
"I was the only one."

At first glance, not much here. Six kids, drowned all of them cuz they where crazy. Right? Wrong! (mostly crackpot):
The six children of Moenghus. First son was Kellhus which I think most people over looked, and another was Maithanet. That leaves us with 4. I think the remaining children that he "sired" are the 4 that lived. The ones that remained un-drowned.
Look: "were any of them like me?" ... "He drowned them at the first sign of peculiarities."
If Maithanet and the other 4 never expressed signs of peculiarities, then they wouldn't have been drowned. The statement remains truth. Daddy Moe did drown all the crazies. But are those considered true sons? Or just something ... other ... something not quite human. Something not to be counted as among your tribe. A scylivendi woman who gives birth to a white child has not born a true son. Not a true kinsmen. Just something other to be discarded. So the 6 children of Moenghus are the those that remain alive.

Ah, but you say, the last two lines disprove this. He was the only one that expressed balance.
Nay I tell you. Look closer!
"And you were the only one that expressed ... balance?"
"I was the only one."
First of all, balance is not what condemned the children, it was peculiarities. Balance has been substituted here, and this may have allowed Maithanet to lie with truth. None of the remaining children where peculiar, thus left alive, but maybe none of them were balanced. Maybe they excelled in certain fields more than others. A schoolman is not balanced in the ways of combat. The sons or daughters of Moenghus may have been specialized in certain fields, while Maitha could see sorcery, could wield a sword, could speak with a silver tongue. Maybe the most balanced, but not the only one that lived.

The remaining 5 sons of Moenghus walk.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2013, 12:51:12 am »
Do we actually know for a fact Meppa is blind?  Has anyone seen empty pits behind that headpiece?

Could it be enough to be blind in any sense to grasp the Psukhe as the Cishaurum do?  You would think some would have tried it by now, but the Schools can get a little...weird sometimes.  They don't usually cover their eyes, right?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2013, 01:38:31 am »
We don't, Wic, and we haven't.

The worry with Iyokus is that seeing as the Few is synonymous with being the Few... which isn't strictly true, obviously, as he still retains the capacity to work the Daimos and Cishaurim exist. I suppose Schoolmen in the past didn't want to risk losing their abilities.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2013, 01:58:38 am »
And as our late Moenghus found, the psuke demands so much more than being blind. Though he did say he could see some of their "third sight".
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »
So says Moenghus the Elder...
The Existential Scream