[TGO Spoilers] Why did he return?

• 59 Replies

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:23:16 am »
In WLW, Esmenet and Maithanet reason that Kellhus took the Ordeal to Golgotterath, knowing the New Empire would collapse in his absence. In The Great Ordeal, Kellhus' POV confirms that this was his mindstate and he willingly sacrificed his family anyway.

So why did he come back? He claims he came to save Esmenet and "salvage" what he could. Some reason Kellhus genuinely has small vestiges of human passion and does care for Esmenet on some level. As a skeptical reader, I can't accept this reasoning just yet. Did something change to prompt his return? Possibly the Nuke? And is there an ulterior motive (as is always the case with Kellhus)?

I'm inclined to believe he came for Kelmomas and has been conditioning him this entire time.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:41:06 am »
From his own POV we also know abandoning his family and Empire had emotional consequences he was blind to. IIRC he likened it to carving out his own heart. I think he really did just give up in a moment of weakness and go home, presumably hoping his conditioning of Proyas would lead to hi desired ends in the North (whatever they may be) still being achieved.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 05:43:53 am »
From his own POV we also know abandoning his family and Empire had emotional consequences he was blind to. IIRC he likened it to carving out his own heart. I think he really did just give up in a moment of weakness and go home, presumably hoping his conditioning of Proyas would lead to hi desired ends in the North (whatever they may be) still being achieved.

Ahhh, see that? They are coming around one by one.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:07:51 am »
I'm inclined to believe he came for Kelmomas and has been conditioning him this entire time.

Maybe. I'm inclined to believe Kellhus has known about Kelmomas all along.
But the main thing is possibly the battle vs Yatwer and Ajokli. After leaving Proyas in charge, I think he popped to the Outside and confronted the deities, ultimately leading him back to Momemn, where their avatars supposedly are.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 06:11:02 am by Monkhound »
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:48:36 am »
He's enacting the TTT. Whatever that entails :P

JerakoKayne

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:55:44 am »
Kellhus has had repeating, and lingering, "love" for Esmenet. His emotions are stunted, but there.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 01:00:33 pm »
Well, possibly the nuke changed things.  He needed more, or something different.  So he came back to get what was left.

Not buying bleeding-heart Kellhus, he literally turns his back on Esmenet and walks away.

Ciphrang-Malowebi (to get Zeum) and Meppa seem to be what he was really after.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 01:26:20 pm »

Ahhh, see that? They are coming around one by one.

They called us crazy, they dids. Those sneaky, little hobbitses. Always doubting the love the Place can have for you ;).

The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 01:34:39 pm »
Always doubting the love the Place can have for you ;).

Have "love?"  Sure, I'll toss you that, we already knew he had "vestigial passions."

Moved by love?  Nope.  Not even a little.  The Place is the Place, he does not move, everything else does.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 04:25:23 pm »
Oh, I'm just calling back to the fact that MSJ wasn't particularly impressed with us laughing about Kellhus having feelings during one of the reread Casts (haven't gone back to verify the slight, but it's poor form to invalidate someone's noted offense).

All jokes, MSJ ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:32:49 pm »
Hey, I've always been of the opinion that Kellhus is broken. Leave me out of this!

Not buying bleeding-heart Kellhus, he literally turns his back on Esmenet and walks away.
I don't remember this because so much has been going on, but strange as it sounds, if this is after he glimpsed his assassination in her face it might be that his feelings were actually hurt.

Moved by love?  Nope.  Not even a little.  The Place is the Place, he does not move, everything else does.
Call me crazy but I could swear this series has some kind of message in regards to people that view themselves as the immovable center of the universe...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:35:06 pm by The Sharmat »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:11:41 am »
Oh, I'm just calling back to the fact that MSJ wasn't particularly impressed with us laughing about Kellhus having feelings during one of the reread Casts (haven't gone back to verify the slight, but it's poor form to invalidate someone's noted offense).

All jokes, MSJ ;).

Haha, all throughout the Sslog of Slogs I was ridiculed and opposed by my opinion that Kellhus had emotions, loves and cares - just not like normal humans. I proposed he would make decisions based of these emotions and said that I believed he wouldn't leave Momemn to ruin. When I said this during the podcast, there were a few snickers and then quiet. Nobody wanted to touchnit, and I assumed that meant everyone thought the idea ludicrous. Which they did, the Slog of Slogs is my proof.

Look who's laughing now! Oh, I see everyone saying we always knew, blah, blah, blah. No one mentioned it before, no one backed me, rather told me Kellhus was Dunyain and therefore has no passion/emotion, only mission. I'm hearing a different time around here these days.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:13:29 am by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 02:38:16 am »
I will admit I never thought he'd actually abandon the Ordeal.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 03:31:56 am »
I will admit I never thought he'd actually abandon the Ordeal.

I based it off of two things. The conditioning of Proyas and the fact that he admits to having feelings that don't feel they should be there about Esme, during his Moe talk at Kyudea. Though, Serwa and the Circumfix is where it all started, I believe.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 05:06:05 am »
I've always considered Kellhus's failure to kill Cnaiur when it was convenient to do so to be one of his most revealing moments.  He's too intelligent and the stakes are too damn high for him not to be a ruthless planner, but he does care.  I think his son actually has the best moment of insight into his character when he tells Proyas that there's no "real" Kellhus.  That he's whatever he's required to be in order to accomplish his goal and that his goal is salvation.  Salvation isn't the goal of someone who doesn't care.  The shortest path, for someone who doesn't care, is to help the Consult win and save his own life and soul.  Salvation is the road of someone who wants to save other people.