H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »
Some saw the winged horror of the Horde-General flitting down and about, then darting like a sparrow into obscurity. Some saw the Aspect-Emperor slip like a coin from a slashed purse, only to vanish into the oblivion of sorcerous light. Some saw the Spear topple out into the void, trailing a rope attached to some kind of metallic coffer ...

The box is probably its source of energy but I don't understand if the box is attached to the Horn or if the Sun Lance just fell into the void.

I read it as the whole apparatus fell.  It could plausibly have been carried off by someone, but we don't really know who is actually left...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 08:46:19 pm »
It's blink and you miss it, but Kayutas carries Serwa's body ("her sister's body") out of the Ark as Mimara is climbing up towards No-Kellhus. From that I'm assuming she's dead but Kayutas was still alive at that moment.

I'm more interested in what happened to the Sun Lance, as, with the Heron Spear still MIA (although I suspect the Scylvendi may have it somewhere) that could be quite useful.
When first teleporting to Ishterebinth in TGO, isn't it mentioned that Metagnosotic cants tire her quickly?  That and her state made me a bit sure about her death.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:59:25 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 03:12:45 am »
I think Kayutas also says something like "anyone can see you are about to die" when he gives her the Cindersword.

Cuttlefish

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 03:34:38 am »
I think two things may imply Serwa might've survived;

She seems to think "father" after debris falls on her, and Kayutas carrying "her body". I think it's through Mimara's perspective that we see her body being carried, but Mimara might be mistaken in assuming that she is dead instead of passed out, and well, from a meta standpoint, what could be the reason for mentioning Serwa's body at all? Of course, it could just be an off-handed way to remind us that Kayutas lost his sister, whom he loved, and that Kayutas is still alive, but it might also be implying that it is not the end of Serwa. Like many things, we'll see the definitive answer in the next book.

Edit: Reading back, the section refers to her body being "blasted". Yeah, that convinces me that she is gone for good.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:40:53 am by Cuttlefish »

Heavenfall

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 09:15:39 am »
She was blasted by Heron Spear v.2 before, Mimara doesn't know the difference. From the scene where Serwa fell it sounded like the roof collapsing in on her. She probably teleported away and fainted from exhaustion. Otherwise how could they possibly have gotten to her body so fast? Skulthul was still alive and kicking as far as I could tell.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 10:10:57 am »
Her arm got salted by the hundredth stone. She is toast, imo.

But ... Mimara saw her as Ciphrang with the Eye, so maybe there is some slim hope that she is even more bad ass than we know.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Cuttlefish

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 12:35:37 pm »
She was blasted by Heron Spear v.2 before, Mimara doesn't know the difference. From the scene where Serwa fell it sounded like the roof collapsing in on her. She probably teleported away and fainted from exhaustion. Otherwise how could they possibly have gotten to her body so fast? Skulthul was still alive and kicking as far as I could tell.

Fair point about getting to her body; it's not like they could've dug the debris in that short span of time

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 01:11:18 pm »
I agree that Achamian, Esmenet, Mimara and "Akka Jr." survived. Same for Moënghus the Younger, Aurax, the Boy (who was probably at a safe enough distance during the events of this book, given that we don't see him at all) and the remaining 4 members of the Dûnyain Consult.
Kayûtas might have survived if he was close enough to Saccarees to be teleported away/if Serwa was still alive at that point and able to teleport away. I personally believe Serwa died, even if she was not quite dead by the end of the book. She was covered in burns and lost at least part of an arm to a Chorae, so I don't think she lasted much longer.
Kelmomas is "alive" in a way, as he still exists as the No-God, but Anasûrimbor Kelmomas as we knew him is gone.
Kellhus is definitely dead, so is Cnaïur, though I agree with the people saying that we haven't seen the last of them and they might be seen again in the Outside.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 01:53:07 pm »
Agree with ThoughtsOfThelli on those.

I go back and forth on Aurang.  On the one hand, the author goes out of the way so that he doesn't die on screen.  On the other, the Inchoroi would be possessed by the No-God at this point, right?  So what would the narrative importance of one more wingless body even be?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 01:57:16 pm »
the Inchoroi would be possessed by the No-God at this point, right?
I don't think that's the case. The Inchoroi helped direct and coordinate the armies. Only the sranc were more/less entirely enslaved by the NG. At worst, all the weapon races, but the Inchoroi always had their own agency.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 01:59:39 pm »
I don't think that's the case. The Inchoroi helped direct and coordinate the armies. Only the sranc were more/less entirely enslaved by the NG. At worst, all the weapon races, but the Inchoroi always had their own agency.
Well, more like agency in service to (of?) the Inverse Fire.  But that sure gets complicated quick...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 02:03:27 pm »
Well, more like agency in service to (of?) the Inverse Fire.  But that sure gets complicated quick...
lol. I'm just making a case for the difference between sranc and inchoroi as it relates to the No-God. Not going down the whole 'free will' philosophy rabbit hole.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 02:06:22 pm »
lol. I'm just making a case for the difference between sranc and inchoroi as it relates to the No-God. Not going down the whole 'free will' philosophy rabbit hole.

Haha, an excellent life choice, I must say...

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 02:10:43 pm »
But haven't we learned the the Inchoroi *are* a weapon race?  Like, I got the impression they are a marginally smarter breed of Sranc from the conversation between the Dunyain.

I don't think there is any direct/control once the No-God is active.  Like, it destroyed the Great Ordeal in an hour or so.  What would an Inchoroi add?  It has perfect control of every Sranc, to the point where it is micromanaging them passing chorae around.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 02:13:37 pm »
But haven't we learned the the Inchoroi *are* a weapon race?  Like, I got the impression they are a marginally smarter breed of Sranc from the conversation between the Dunyain.

I don't think there is any direct/control once the No-God is active.  Like, it destroyed the Great Ordeal in an hour or so.  What would an Inchoroi add?  It has perfect control of every Sranc, to the point where it is micromanaging them passing chorae around.

That particular Inchoroi wouldn't add much to anything, NG or no. The Consult don't need it, and he(?) was more like a pet than anything else.