• 69 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:09 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I wasn't really thinking a flat earth would apply (you think the Inchies would certainly spot THAT particular 'planet' - or maybe that's why they crashed - the gravity is wacked?). BUT wouldn't it tie into the idea of 'Limits with One Side' in quite a funny way?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:17 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
I do at times think that RSB has read all of Pratchett, probably repeatedly.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:25 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
"TELL ME, WHAT DO YOU SEE?"

"A giant turtle..."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
Quote from: lockesnow
it makes sense that the planet is the center of the universe if that's what the ancient world believed.  This is about making a fantasy world that recreates the reality of ancient beliefs.

But the idea of stars and planets presented by the Inchoroi very much clashes with most ancient beliefs of the real world. We aren't talking holes in the celestial spheres, according to them.

I don't think its position indicates that Earwa is the center of the universe at all. Just that that star is positioned directly at this world's north pole. It could (and assuming it is in fact a star) and probably does have some radial velocity in respect to Earwa, but it can take a long time for a star to appreciably move in a sky. Although it is definitely an uncommonly bright or very close star.

The fact that the original Nonman name refers to it as "Newborn" seems like it's almost certainly relevant, which is what gives me pause in just assuming it's a normal star.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:41 pm »
Quote from: starfox
Quote from: The Sharmat
The fact that the original Nonman name refers to it as "Newborn" seems like it's almost certainly relevant, which is what gives me pause in just assuming it's a normal star.
But remember, the Nonmen are so old.  Maybe it started recently in their memory.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Quote from: starfox
But remember, the Nonmen are so old.  Maybe it started recently in their memory.

Just as we see stars wink out of existence,  an event that actually took place long before we ever see it. That whole limitation of the speed of light and the distance separating us from other stars thing. So too could a new star wink into existence, even though it has actually existed for years before it's light reached us. Through the birth and death of centuries and millennia its plausible that new stars could show up.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:55 pm »
Quote from: KRST IS
Interesting speculation.

We might get a bit more clarity if we draw parallels from our own world cosmology.

This is how the "Nail of Heaven" is described on this site: http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Nail_of_Heaven

The "brightest star in the sky?" Well, in our own universe, the brightest star in the sky would likely be Sirius A, with it's sister B and perhaps C.

The Masonic magicians, wielders of the Gnosis in our own world, in their respectful schools, view Sirius as the "Sun behind the sun."

Moreover, the Freemasons have a lore that stretches back to ancient Egypt and beyond.

Here is a link that might put this into perspective:

http://secretarcana.com/hiddenknowledge/the-mysterious-connection-between-sirius-and-human-history/

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:00 am »
I had always believed the Nail to be a star, close in proximity to the Earwan solar system.  However, I didn't catch on the the whole Cunoroi name of the New-Born before.  Maybe it's just a star that went super-nova.  I'm finding that one difficult to explain, though, since it just happened to go nova in the exact polar north of Earwa, relative to the planet's rotation.  Coincidence?  Maybe not.  Maybe the Inchoroi go from system to system with some expansive galactic map, scribing their journeys from planet to planet in a great mathematical sigil of destruction.  Maybe the Nail was their last conquest, and it pointed the way to their next:  Earwa.  How long would a star appear brighter from going nova?  I'm probably wrong about that, but fun to speculate.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:54:36 pm by Somnambulist »
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »
Traveling at the speed of light? Years? Millenia?

I think one of my favorite hypotheses here are the space-station or mothership.

I like the sigil of destruction idea though, Somnambulist. Shades of Warhammer 40K again.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:20 pm »
Traveling at the speed of light? Years? Millenia?

I think one of my favorite hypotheses here are the space-station or mothership.

I like the sigil of destruction idea though, Somnambulist. Shades of Warhammer 40K again.

Agreed, although I'm more partial to it being the remnants of a wormhole the Inchoroi arrived through. It fits all of the descriptions, including it being a "Newborn". The only reason I'm hesitant to think of it as a mothership is because it would seem very odd for those aboard said ship to have done nothing for tens of thousands of years, not to mention the fact that we never hear any mention of it in Aurang's POVs.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 12:36:44 am »
Well maybe it was the mothership. Could be that it was a huge traveling station, but by the time the Inchoroi got to Earwa orbit, most of them had died. The remaining Inchoroi went down to the planet in their last ship, and the crash landed, killing 90% of what was left. That could explain why there is no mention of the mothership, its just an empty hunk of metal that can't be reached...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:44 pm »
Lol, shades of District 9, Wilshire. Anyone see Elysium yet?

Welcome back, Francis. It's good to see you here, though I've been enjoying your speculations on Westeros, regardless.

I actually think the wormhole is likely but there is a satisfying terror in imagining an operational orbital battery or some such ;)...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:22 pm »
Lol, shades of District 9, Wilshire. Anyone see Elysium yet?

Missed out on District 9, but I did just go see Elysium. As it was the first movie I actually went to go see in quite some time, I was a bit disappointing.  Nothing in particular was wrong with it, but (to me) there wasnt much exceptional about it either. Worth renting for sure, probably not worth my $21 for the 2 tickets.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2013, 04:33:13 pm »
OMG...i have to differ here from Madness...i really really hope it is not a space station or Mothership. A mythical star thingy explanation is way cooler and much more "fantasy" to me...ymmv and all that.
I'm already not a big fan of all the sci fi elements in the PoN and AE ... so the less there is of it, the better for my tastes. For example the Heron Spear loses so much if i picture it as a simple laser-rifle instead of a cool magical artifact...it's not even funny anymore  ;D
But i think i will be very much in the minority on this...obviously mixing sci fi into fantasy is very much en vogue  :-\ :-X
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 05:57:04 pm »
maybe not a drop ship, but maybe the wormhole construct that stabilizes this end of the wormhole.  Sort of like the triangular thing that creates the portal in Man of Steel.