Robin Hobb

• 7 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:08:31 am »
Read the farseer trilogy awhile ago and liked it,and then I tried the liveship traders but that one didn`t really get to me.Has anyone here read some of her other works that might be worth picking up?

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:30:31 am »
I enjoyed liveship traders, it's kind of the second trilogy in her series set on that world.
Hobb is all about the characters after the assassin trilogy, if you like her brand of soapy fantasy keep going.  Personally, I quite like it; but aside from a well realised fantasy ecology and likeable characters I can see it getting boring to those who like more action and intrigue.

She wrote another fantasy trilogy - the soldier son.  It's not really worth it imo, but if you like a north american indian style fantasy world building and don't mind being clobbered with how difficult being fat can be, you might enjoy.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 05:44:30 pm »
Thanks for reply Curethan ;) I was thinking about picking up The tawny man trilogy,which is taking Fitz and the fool on new adventures.She definitely takes her time building up the characters,and the soap part is digestible to me I guess:)

Is there a connection between the liveship traders and assasin/tawny man?
Do you have to read them in the right order?

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 08:21:25 am »
There are connections, but you shouldn't miss too much.  Might be a couple of confusing references but I think the spaces generally get filled in.
Only really be a problem if you plan to read the rain-wilds series after that ;)
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:38:23 am »
I can live with being a bit confused :) She is far from my favorite author,so I doubt that I will read all her works.I enjoy the fool though :)

I just started on The lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch,which seems to be quite enjoyable.It is nice to read something less challenging at times,especially after Bakker has ripped your head apart ;)

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:09:15 pm »
I just finished reading Assassins Apprentice. It was very heavily recced over on the other forum.

I thought it was well written, if a little odd to be in the First Person Past Tense narrative. A little too slow in parts for my liking with a lot of attention on Fitz feelings. I do think it could have given away a bit more about the Skill and the Wit but probably good that it doesnt to keep interest in the trilogy. Overall an enjoyable read but not one I would be reccomending above other reads which I have enjoyed more.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:18:41 am »
I thought it was well written, if a little odd to be in the First Person Past Tense narrative. A little too slow in parts for my liking with a lot of attention on Fitz feelings. I do think it could have given away a bit more about the Skill and the Wit but probably good that it doesnt to keep interest in the trilogy. Overall an enjoyable read but not one I would be reccomending above other reads which I have enjoyed more.

I thought the whole trilogy was pretty good. I agree that it is a bit slow, and lots of stream of consciousness, but I liked Fitz enough to follow to the end.

The "skill and the wit" gets much more attention in the other books, so if you were fascinated by that you might want to read on :)

I also tried the Liveship traders trilogy, but that did not do it for me. Something felt wrong about these talking ships:) There is this magical wood that contains consciousness, and ships are built with this wood. I had a problem with that. If each part of the ship contains its own consciousness, there would be plenty of chatter, right? But no, only one voice. What? How did that happen? Do they vote on who gets lead vocal? Are all but "the chosen one" enslaved?

I will mention that I was high as a kite coming up with that, so it might be BS :)

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 12:06:35 pm »
Thanks Royce,

I think I will definitely continue with the series then and see how it goes based on this feedback.

Those ships sound weird. I will avoid the Lords Leaf while reading them!