• 357 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 03:57:56 pm »
Anyone watching/watched Black Mirror on netflix?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 07:32:32 pm »

Planning to, but at the moment we're catching up with Vikings. But a lot of our friends have very good opinions on Black Mirror.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2016, 12:44:44 pm »

Planning to, but at the moment we're catching up with Vikings. But a lot of our friends have very good opinions on Black Mirror.

Might try Vikings in the near future.  Not sure if my wife will like it or not.  Currently we are watching the new season of Mozart in the Jungle, I think we are about halfway through the season.  It's definitely not reinventing the wheel or anything, but it's somewhat entertaining (even if the first season was better, I think).  Oh and Monica Bellucci in this season sure doesn't hurt...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2016, 03:33:47 pm »
Started watching Westword, I feel like the show will be talking about consciousness, in a manner which TSAers will appreciate.

Finished the show last week and this was absolutely fantastic. Probably one of the best TV series I have watched - right up there with some of my favourites.

Francis Buck

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2016, 08:35:42 am »
Started watching Westword, I feel like the show will be talking about consciousness, in a manner which TSAers will appreciate.

Finished the show last week and this was absolutely fantastic. Probably one of the best TV series I have watched - right up there with some of my favourites.

A wild SilentRoamer appears! 

I too finished Westworld recently and it is damn awesome. While there were a few pretty minor quibbles I had with it, there's nothing even close to ruining the show for me -- nor dampening my anticipation for the next season (like three years from now). And I think almost all of my issues would have been removed or alleviated if I watched the show once all the episodes were available. There were a lot of random things that were bothering me (particularly a certain character death near the end of the season) that felt out of place or like it was going nowhere, but given that this was a Jon Nolan project, I held out hope that the finale would fix them all -- and boy did it ever. Honestly the entire season is a set-up for the payoff of that finale (not that there weren't great scenes elsewhere, the finale felt like the show was done trying to mislead the audience or feed them mystery after mystery, and instead it was tying knots left and right in a most dramatic fashion.

It's also fucking WEALTHY with great actors in the main cast. Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris need no introduction, but Christ, hat scene in the bar between them with Teddy feels like the new DeNiro vs Pacino diner sit-down from Heat. Jeffrey Wright is always, always good, and his character was the one I ultimately felt most attached to other than perhaps Maeve, whose characterization and acting was phenomenal. I've seen a lot people elsewhere complain about that plotline -- the only part I didn't like was the redheaded guy, and simply because his acting wasn't up to snuff (which is extra irritating when the actual character is meant to be unlikable, because it's sort of a double whammy).

Evan Rachel Wood is really the "breakout" here though -- she's had plenty of other roles, many good, but I haven't seen anything as demanding as this one. She spent a tremendous amount of time this season being very believably "robotic" and then at least as much, if not more time, utterly distraught and on the verge of mental breakdown in an utterly human way. Sustaining either of those modes is challenging enough for a long period even in a movie, let alone a show of this scale. While I thought her plot-line did loose speed a bit in the middle, again like every other strand in the story, the finale rectified it completely.

If I had one legit critique, it would be that I wish they spent a little more time discussing the nature of the technology at hand, more details of the park's inner-workings (especially security), and of course the notion of consciousness itself. I would've traded several of the action scenes for more of Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright talking the Bicameral Mind theory or what have you -- and I fucking love a good action scene, I just wasn't super impressed with the filming and choreography of them. The Man in Black's action was the best because it was the most orchestrated, and Hector Escaton (great name for a very fun character) and his crew's robbery sequence was well shot and scored, even seeing it a couple times over. Also, the scene with Maeve's friend from the brothel when they demonstrate the robots combat prowess was equal parts disturbing and bad ass.

Oh yeah, speaking of the score -- fantastic. The intro song and accompanying visuals are immediately among the best ever,

Also (finale spoilers):
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:51:57 am by The No-Mod »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2016, 04:12:37 pm »
Yeah the whole NPC thing was so evident.  Loved it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2016, 11:09:09 pm »

Excuse my ignorance Wilshire, what do you mean by NPC?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2016, 11:56:56 am »

Excuse my ignorance Wilshire, what do you mean by NPC?

Pretty sure he meant who were Hosts (NPCs) and who where humans.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2016, 06:00:43 pm »
An NPC is a non-player character. In video games, especially modern day ones like MMOs and open world games, every npc has a routine that it goes through, hour by hour, day by day, even week to week, until it it is interrupted by a player.

Same thing happens in westworld, I found it extremely amusing. 

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2016, 06:05:49 pm »
Any of you guys have Netflix?  I am hearing good things about The OA, so we'll probably check it out soon.  We were going to try out the first episode the other day, but the kids were home and the "parental guide" said in no uncertain terms that wasn't a good idea, haha.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2016, 10:32:39 am »
We've got Netflix but no free time, so we haven't got to The OA yet.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2016, 11:57:17 am »
Any of you guys have Netflix?  I am hearing good things about The OA, so we'll probably check it out soon.  We were going to try out the first episode the other day, but the kids were home and the "parental guide" said in no uncertain terms that wasn't a good idea, haha.

This was a weird show. It started pretty good with a decent mystery plot, but it started going downhill at about ep 4 (IIRC).

That said, the ending of the final episode makes it all worth it. It was so ridiculous I could hardly believe what I was seeing. I swear my eyes almost fell out watching the last five minutes.

It might be the most jaw droppingly stupid thing ever filmed. Sorry for being so judgemental, but honestly it was mindblowingly ridiculous.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:49 am »
The Expanse is back. I like it :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2017, 11:40:52 am »
At the moment we're watching Marco Polo, because my husband dearest is always very much into history and at the moment very much into Far East. And also we needed something fun and not very deep to watch. It's fun, it's loosely based on history, it has sex, violence, adventure and a blind kung-fu teacher - what else can you want from a show?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2017, 03:45:51 am »
THE OFFICE FROM BEGINNING TO END

I HOPE PAM AND JIM MAKE IT