• 9 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:23:42 pm »
Books for Sale. Let me know if any of you fine folks are interested.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik Grimoak, matched, Numbered
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik Grimoak, matched, Numbered

The Arm of the Sphinx by Josiah Bancroft, Hardcover, First/First UK Orbit

Rejoice A Knife To The Heart by Steven Erikson, Gollancz (Signed)

Boy’s Life by Robert McCammon, Subterranean Press, Numbered (Slipcase)

Medusa’s Web by Tim Powers, Subterranean Press, Numbered

Ilium by Dan Simmons, Subterranean Press, Numbered (Simmons books are not matched)
Olympus by Dan Simmons, Subterranean Press, Numbered (Simmons books are not matched)
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, Subterranean Press, Numbered (Simmons books are not matched)

All Clear by Connie Willis, Subterranean Press, Numbered
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:26:42 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:41:52 am »
Subterranean press? Those must be expensive as hell! Yikes. Maybe try ebay? :)

Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:04:16 pm »
Depends on what you're used too. These are all numbered editions .... the lettered ones (which I don't have) probably sell for 10x because there are only ever 52 of them and they are usually leather bound. Matching sets of large series, like Malazan, sell for much more. I don't expect many of these to fetch much more than retail.

Its the floor not the ceiling for collector books - it only goes up from here.

Generally though, yes they are stupid expensive for books. ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:07:22 pm by Wilshire »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:11:38 pm »
Depends on what you're used too. These are all numbered editions .... the lettered ones (which I don't have) probably sell for 10x because there are only ever 52 of them and they are usually leather bound. Matching sets of large series, like Malazan, sell for much more. I don't expect many of these to fetch much more than retail.

Its the floor not the ceiling for collector books - it only goes up from here.

Generally though, yes they are stupid expensive for books. ;)

I was curious, so I looked and saw someone trying to sell those Elric books for $2,000 on eBay...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:39:46 pm »
If you look at the sold history, there I think like 4 listings completed at >1000, but not for list price so its hard to say.

I will at least point out that the Elric books have a lot of factors going for it (regarding its selling price). Limited supply, something of a cult following, older series so lots of potential interested people, but also no matching sequential set has ever been produced in any condition.

So that's all to point out very low supply and likely high demand.

The books themselves are absolutely stunning. I think they are the most tactile-y impressive books I've ever laid hands on. The dustjacket is made out of some strange paper that feels like a cross between silk and vinyl, the binding itself is fantastic, the pages are also printed on some great feeling paper, and the artwork is both stunning and brushed with some finish that makes it textured...

Its an amazing set, and Centipede Press will be publishing the complete saga. If I have to list them, I'd probably sit them on ebay right at $2000 for the existing set - part of that price pays for the rights to matching numbered future sets when they come out to Centipede. I'd sell them for less though if I was given a decent offer.

I probably prefer Centipede Press over Subterranean Press, but most of the stuff they do is not interesting to me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:44:08 pm by Wilshire »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:50:25 pm »
Yeah, I mean, it's a pretty awesome looking set, but I'm the kind of person with too many other relatively expensive hobbies to consider spending anywhere near that much on books I actually already own twice over, haha.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 12:14:15 pm »
too many other relatively expensive hobbies to consider spending anywhere near that much on books I actually already own twice over, haha.

Yup ;) .

Actually to me, its kind of that "does this bring me joy" type deal. I've got other random shit I'd like to buy, and the books, while awesome, are not very interactive. I'm kinda afraid to touch most of them because they're worth too much.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:32:24 pm »
Yup ;) .

Actually to me, its kind of that "does this bring me joy" type deal. I've got other random shit I'd like to buy, and the books, while awesome, are not very interactive. I'm kinda afraid to touch most of them because they're worth too much.

Oh, no doubt, I can easily imagine myself jumping down the rabbit hole.  Of course, I am a savage and I actually play games with my "collectibles" that are worth thousands!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 01:03:06 pm »
Yup ;) .

Oh, no doubt, I can easily imagine myself jumping down the rabbit hole.  Of course, I am a savage and I actually play games with my "collectibles" that are worth thousands!
Yeah see, I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that. Its part of the entertainment I get out of collecting Bakker ephemera. My sets of unique stuff like artwork, posters, books, whatever, quite literally one of a kind in most cases, wouldn't be worth much if I tried to sell it. That's the ideal collectable for me - something I value greatly that isn't actually worth very much lol.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 01:19:17 pm »
Yeah see, I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that. Its part of the entertainment I get out of collecting Bakker ephemera. My sets of unique stuff like artwork, posters, books, whatever, quite literally one of a kind in most cases, wouldn't be worth much if I tried to sell it. That's the ideal collectable for me - something I value greatly that isn't actually worth very much lol.

Well, part of it is that the "collectibles" I have are also game pieces, and were actually bought by me as such.  In that way, I still treat them as such, even if their value has sort of skyrocketed.  Despite this, to me, they are still what I bought them as: parts to play a game with.