Other Titles > Neuropath

Is a Neuropath future inevitable and/or unavoidable?

<< < (3/3)

H:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on July 28, 2017, 03:54:56 pm ---Unless it goes full nonman/emwama dichotomy, that's pretty reasonable. I'm just of the mind that those who start will have an insurmountable lead.

Like if you discover an AI/machine leaning/algorithm to beat the stock market. Yeah, other people will get it at some point, but the longer it's just you, the more assets you'll have accumulated, and those compound to the point where you're functionally infinetly ahead... clunky analogy. Point being, will the headstart rapidly become insurmountable.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, not questioning that.  Not to mention that what would end up becoming "popular" would probably be the 'trail-end' stuff.

Kind of how everyone has a computer now, but not everyone has a Cray.

Madness:
Good to see you back around, jamesA01!

solipsisticurge:
Short-term profitability will decide this over any cultural resistance to the ideas. Just as we stand on the precipice of the death of meaning and purpose, so we witness, in our meager ways, the final days of human relevance to the only system that still matters (perpetual economic growth). Once algorithms and machines cross the point of no return in terms of outperforming humanity at sufficient tasks, our humanist ideologies will crash beneath their monetary weight. AI with their core code set to the accumulation of wealth and dominance of their market will make the vast majority of purchases (from a GDP perspective if not by number of individual transactions), largely removing even the need for human customers.

(Side note: that would make a nice story idea, a futuristic Earth where a handful of extremely powerful economic algorithms/AI viciously attempt to outcompete each other, a never-ending game of ruthless seven-dimensional economic chess, with products produced at ever-increasing scale, bartered back and forth, with no humans left who actually need or desire them. One AI corners the market on disposing of all the useless junk, gradually achieves total monopoly over all industries, wins the war. Begins attempting to eliminate itself as a competitor.)

The free world has shown repeatedly that economic reward will trump humanist notions most of the time. This is aided by relative reaction speed difference, as governmental and social institutions are much slower to reach consensus/make decisions than purely economically driven ones. Thus will all humanist institutions and reservations eventually fail, if only because all those holding them are far easier to starve out than those playing along.

Wilshire:
solipsisticurge, I love the discussion about economics, and I pretty much agree. Money is the only thing that matters to society, or at the very least it moves so fast that it makes irrelevant everything else. Churches don't ask for donation and hide their accumulated assets from view for no reason. I wonder if they've been commissioning quantum computers and tech employees to build them strong AI ;) .

Money properly invested makes money faster than anything else. The vast majority of transaction on the NYSE are done by computers running algorithms. The companies that own them literally fight to be physically closer to the NYSE servers because the speed of light over fiber optic cables inhibits how fast their computers can execute orders. Futures/Derivative markets that trade on imaginary moneis using leveraged accounts bought the NYSE (look up ICE) as their accumulated assets are worth hundreds of times more than any real world equivalent. Wealth, money, is not tied to anything physical and hasn't been for decades. Markets are built to extract money from systems for the purpose of making more ,faster, without the need for messy humans.

So, by and large, the world you've describe already exists today. It'll be a matter, probably sooner rather than later, of humans trying to keep up with the runaway wealth of roboinvestors trading in derivatives markets worth thousands of times more than the wealth of any real assets.

I love your scifi idea. I'd buy that book :D .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version