Suicide or not

• 53 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
My own reservations come from a sense of limited scope. I occupy such an insignificant slice of history (though I concede that I could be doing a lot more with yon slice). Maybe I would feel more fulfilled if I were to have access to more of existence, or maybe I should stop watching time-travel films.

So many of these films use the time loop as if it's original. At least Continuum makes you guess what kind of time travel it uses.

I've read time doesn't exist at the quantum level, and that it might be an emergent phenomenon only existing for those within the universe...which raises new questions about why things seem to follow rationally from moment to moment...might make a thread for this but want to do some reading.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:28 pm »
I've read time doesn't exist at the quantum level, and that it might be an emergent phenomenon only existing for those within the universe...which raises new questions about why things seem to follow rationally from moment to moment...might make a thread for this but want to do some reading.

Time does not exist while tripping either. Is that proof of me being in a other universe while tripping? :P
Or maybe I visited the quantum world? Just kidding. Make that thread happen sci:)

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 11:02:04 pm »
Auriga, I'm left wondering if something is screwing up your base enjoyment of the world and the 'loss of meaning' is just a sideshow? A false blame for that?

Well, this could be something as simple as a neurotransmitter imbalance. Which is in a way scary, as it supports the concept that we are nothing but automata, governed by chemicals and electrical impulses.
I was looking at enviromental effects.

The fact is compared to our ancient ancestors we live in blasted, horrible wastelands - there are no food baring trees or plants. Such a place, for our primitive lower brain, is apocalypse. Money makes no sense to that lower brain.

Generally everyones over the top faith in capitalism tends to move that lower brain to feel fine about living in a blasted landscape, as if 'everything will be all right'.

While I wouldn't suggest that faith, I would suggest some sort of faith to stop the lower brain seeing utter doom all around - even though to a large degree it's right, weve severed ourselves from food prosperous territory. But you don't need it's howing - it's estimate of the blasted landscape (I mean blasted as in covered in concrete and no food bearing plants or animal prey to hunt) is only partly right.

Further that recreational drugs just overshadow and thus kill the natural feedback loops.

It's alot like Auriga is on a sinking boat and thinking since the water is up to his waist, he must want to sink under the water.

Atleast fix the damn boat so it floats, before figuring out whether you want to go under the waves. It's bullshit to let the boat decide this for anyone.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 01:53:30 pm »
What keeps me alive is mostly feeling of responsibility, I do not want to let down all those people who trust me, my principal, my students. Which is strange, as I also suffer from impostor syndrome, so whenever my professional achievements are praised I feel fear that people would find out that in reality I'm a cheat.
I've been in therapy, it helped some, not with everything. Last week I seriously considered going to a psychiatrist but did not get to arranging an appointment. Maybe I will, one day, or maybe I will go back to therapy. Or maybe my life circumstances will change enought to make me feel better.
Anyway, exercise is OK, endorphines make a great drug, but I would not stick to running. For me it's the most pointless activity ever, so I do aerobics, weight training and dancing instead. And it helps. Mostly. I also have people to whom I can talk, although the majority of them are on the internet. People around me, my colleagues, my students, know nothing about my real life, one of my colleagues even calls me "Sunshine". It seems I'm a master of disguise.
If I were you, I would keep going to psychiatrist. Sometimes the medication takes some time to kick in - or possibly it's time to think about trying something new? Often it's not the first drug that helps.

Men [humans], Kellhus had once told her, were like coins: they had two sides. Where one side of them saw, the other side of them was seen, and though all men were both at once, men could only truly know the side of themselves that saw and the side of others that was seen—they could only truly know the inner half of themselves and the outer half of others.

I wish your inside half solace of some kind, if only momentary. I've appreciated your words as I've come to know them so far.

In my job as a pre-school teacher I have a lot a lot of kids around me - mostly 20 or more, 3-6 years old - and all my colleagues are women with families and a a very clear conception of their way of life ( and all the Illusions and self-adulation which come with it in my opinion...) The work with the kids is stressful but also sometimes entertaining and funny. But in the conversations with my female colleagues I'm being infamous because of my cynical comments and "realistic" evaluations of situations and dialogues with the staff and the parents. And it is getting worse, I think.
From time to time I think, I'm beginning to lose my human empathy because of my negative and nihilistic opinions about life and human existence. This mindset seems to be REALLY out of place in my kind of job. What brings me through the day most of the time, is one hope: That I can teach the little kids some kind of basics, which almost none of my colleagues could not or want not to do: to be able to think critically in school and life in a few years, to conceive their OWN opinion about the world and their living, despite the typical indoctrination in the political, religious and cultural beliefs of their parents or teachers.

Many of us experience these kinds of jobs, Davias. Yours is obviously at a greatest juxtaposition, it seems clearly contrary.

But those colleagues grew up in one kind of cultural immersion, those kids have a chance at another.

We're here. We all seem to concede we live in this reality, that we are here, whatever that means. We can affect different worldviews ourselves.

But mostly, Davias, strengh. You are alive, you breath, heart beating in your chest like mine own. It matters most of all how we conduct ourselves in relation to reality experienced.

I'm responding but I do want to note that please seek out every available counter-argument (including, and especially, direct criticisms of the authors who have affected this "negative enlightenment" in you)

I haven't found any convincing counter-arguments to any of them. How do you argue against philosophies that are grounded in actual cognitive psychology and empirical science? I don't especially want to be an eliminativist or a nihilist, but I can't disprove these views.

I can empathize more with the intellectual/emotional disconnect. But to the bold - you can know more than those people. They spend years of study to allow you to make your "conclusion" now.

As for Bakker in particular...I've never seen any valid counter-arguments to The Argument, and I can't think of any. The only serious one I've seen was a review of Neuropath that basically played a semantics-game and redefined the concept of "self": http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/?p=698

We make changes to ourselves everyday in the form of our habits, what we experience. From that resulting flux, we come to see old perspectives framed within new perspectives. Work to affect some change in your cognition and see if it still looks as hopeless.

Practice an instrument, learn a language, practice ambidexterity, dance, martial art. Just like taking medications, diet and exercise both need time to build up and affect their change. You can intellectually make changes that might affect your emotional state.

Other than that, the most common criticism of Bakker's position seems to be "Bakker is a sexist poo-poo head, I hate him".

We both know this is unrealistic.

To be fair, people say Neuropath is the amateur Ligotti. My main question of such thinkers is "are the criterion by which you establish meaninglessness a result of sociocultural organization as it has stood/stands?" If so, then every nihilist has an obligation to affect change in society and cultural to prove that every sociocultural arrangement actually does result in meaninglessness.

Interesting. Could you explain it further?

(The nihilist view, which I share, is that socio-cultural arrangements exist only for evolutionary purposes, which are ultimately meaningless and purposeless.)

We live now, in this global sociocultural arrangement. I mean, the argument could be made that all such arrangements do "exist only for evolutionary purposes, which are ultimately meaningless and purposeless" but I don't think we can decide and know that without experience a number of different ones first. So to prove their argument, people who proclaim so should work towards making sure every one is absolutely meaningless and purposeless.

However, why is the goal of suicide the result?

I'm not saying that nihilism = suicide. A real nihilist would be indifferent to life or death. I'm just saying that there's no actual reason why life is objectively better than death. From a purely rational standpoint, the choice of life isn't any superior to death. Looking at it from a nihilist/materialist point of view: if you want to kill yourself, there's really no reason not to.

Almost all my life, I've been a melancholic sort of person. This is far from my first depression, and I'll probably have many more if I live into old age. Why shouldn't I end it all?

Well, I've voiced my selfish reasoning. Because I can still learn from you. By your living, you might affect "good" in the world, affect change for "better," and that is the chance I want to gamble on.

How do you know that all those thinkers that contribute to this worldview aren't poor arguers

This is a non-question. How do I prove God doesn't exist?

You're basically asking me to tell myself: "I believe science is wrong because I want it to be wrong."

I realize that can be taken this way. I wanted to say, if you were to critique these thinkers, who you have come to orient yourself with, based on the quality of their argument and not the content, would you still be so convinced? If the way they reached their conclusions are flawed...

If what exists, if what we experience is inherently meaninglessness, what is to stop us, truly, from making that meaninglessness beautiful?

You first have to decide that "beautiful" is an objectively meaningful concept, lol. I don't think it is.

You can't subjectively qualify anything as beautiful? Wondrous? Elegant? Evocative? Words? Paintings? Music? Nothing?

Why does the result always have to be incapacitation? Why does the reaction have to be one of apathetic futility?

I dunno. It's probably got a lot to do with the fact that people who have these existential doubts are usually introverted people. Quiet, thoughtful people who spend a lot of time in abstract thinking. They're not extroverted, energetic go-getters (those kind of people are usually more interested in other people than in abstract ideas) who have lots of motivation to change things.

Introverted people usually get overwhelmed by these kinds of thoughts, and become mentally paralyzed.

Absolutely. That doesn't mean they are outliers, either way. Introverted people might also be socialized that way. Our sociocultures don't make space for abstract thinking. Thus, those of us who do think these things are ostracized by the dominant strain. Doesn't mean we can't interact, together and what was an introverted experience might become something different.

Isn't it possible that there is coherency beyond what our human brains can perceive? Isn't it likely that humans don't actually know enough about anything for nihilism, religions, philosophy to be "the way things are?"

No. If we can't perceive or infer it, then it can't exist for us.
It doesn't matter if there's a coherency or purpose beyond what our brains can know, it's really a non-issue.

To the bold: that is only true in the sense of perception. All kinds of things that don't exist "for us" still exist and influence us...

I want to engage life.

Good for you.

You can too. Anyone can.

Auriga, I value your unique reality-tunnel and I still wish to spend a whole lifetime learning from differences between us.

Thanks for the compliment, I suppose, although "my" reality tunnel isn't really "mine" in any real sense - it was all a pointless delusion of being a person.

You are the only "thing" I can talk to at your particular intersect of matter, space, and time, with your particular history of experiences, thoughts, readings, etc. That makes you a unique distinction to me.

Anyways, to end this debate:

"Since there's no personal God and no gods, no good and no evil, no right and no wrong, no meaning and no purpose, it means that there aren't any no values that are inherently valuable. There's no justice that is ultimately justifiable, no reasoning that is fundamentally rational, and no sane way to choose between science, religion, racism, philosophy, nationalism, conservatism, nihilism, liberalism, surrealism, fascism, asceticism, subjectivism, elitism, or ismism. If reason is incapable of deducing ultimate non-arbitrary human ends, and nothing can be judged as ultimately more important than anything else, then freedom is equal to slavery, cruelty is equal to kindness, love is equal to hate, destruction is equal to creation, life is equal to death, and death is equal to life."

Since I qualify you dying as a negative thing, I would rather that these types of thinkers erred on the side of "good." I think (and do) you can have these types of thoughts and by the same twist of meaninglessness, not become incapacitated into thinking suicide is the only motion one can make. In fact, if it was meaninglessness and not our projecting meaninglessness onto the world, then you would have a larger percentage of these nihilist thinkers, turning around and spending their lives saving already living, starving children or something.

All things being equal.

Just offering some formalized thoughts, Auriga. Hope you're having a better/different day, one day at a time.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »
Thanks, Madness. And I realised one more thing, while reading your post. I'm a hopeless humanist. Which means that my life motto is "Trying to make the world a better place". It's hopeless. It's naive. It's unrealistic. But that's part of my personality, and that's probably the other thing that keeps me afloat on those bad days.
(And then, there are these moments, like when on the last day of school two students came up to me with a bunch of flowers, saying that they want to thank me "for teaching them. About everything". Those moments are rare and far between, but when they happen, they're like a beacon of light.)
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 06:19:29 pm »
Thanks, Madness. And I realised one more thing, while reading your post. I'm a hopeless humanist. Which means that my life motto is "Trying to make the world a better place". It's hopeless. It's naive. It's unrealistic. But that's part of my personality, and that's probably the other thing that keeps me afloat on those bad days.
(And then, there are these moments, like when on the last day of school two students came up to me with a bunch of flowers, saying that they want to thank me "for teaching them. About everything". Those moments are rare and far between, but when they happen, they're like a beacon of light.)

+1 the post, Alia.

To the bold, especially in this circumstance, I'm trying to sketch out practically how to adopt this perspective. And I don't believe it hopeless, naive, or unrealistic. Adopting that perspective of "trying to make the world a better place" means that we can speak and act in ways that aren't possible otherwise. We can make that real and then it ceases to be hopeless, naive, or unrealistic because we can affect change for real, in this reality :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »
The very existence of "purpose" and "value" as aspects of conscious experience makes the OP wrong.

(I'm not sure what the OP really means via the word "value". Is he talking about intrinsic goals and/or purposes? Is he considering material outcomes, or even meta-physical or spiritual outcomes? Does he consider the difference between subjective and objective valuations?)

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:11 am »
I'm a hopeless humanist.
Hopelessly hopeful, in other words? :)

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 09:55:50 am »
Auriga, sorry to be showing up so late to this thread--I hope you are well. 

Not that long ago I nearly committed suicide myself.  I had it all planned out, motive, opportunity, and means.  I said goodbye in a roundabout way to everyone I loved and penned my last letter.

What stopped me was the nagging feeling that I couldn't be certain I was reading my own situation clearly.  This is what I like about Socrates and what I like about Bakker--harping on the continuous state of ignorance we live in.  So I called the suicide hotline and got help.  Now I'm on drugs and its done wonders for me. 

Since you are sharing on a Bakker forum, think back to when old Moe told Kellhus that his feeling of certainty was no mark of truth.  Your feeling of certainty that you have your whole situation mapped out could be an illusion in ways that you are ignorant to.  Science works because two brains are better than one and three is better than two and so on.  Don't let your own brain decide it knows everything about itself.  Get some more brains in on the issue--keep seeing your psychiatrist, reach out to friends and family, talk to people who you know you already disagree with.  Suicide is so final, you should not leave any stone unturned and you are fooling yourself if you think you've turned them all over.  Your presumption that you know know know the utter meaninglessness of everything is the very mark of the isolation of your intellect.

Also, I know everyone is saying exercise and drugs like prozac have a social stigma attached to them, but drugs are what works for me and its worked for others I know.  Give it a try.  Try different levels and combos, the shrink will know best.  They take a while to kick in and then DON'T DON'T DON'T try to get off them when you feel better.  You can get off them eventually, of course, but many people become dangers to themselves and others by getting off too soon and without consultation.

Peace, Auriga.  I hope you are alive.  I'm only in my 30's, but every big realization I've had in my life comes with "how could I have been so blind before?"