Miscellaneous Chatter > Writing

Story a Day (II)

<< < (2/13) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Feb 18/

"By the hatred that drives my hand..."

The message fell from her fingertips, the sweaty scrawl smudged across crumbled sheaf. Words that scarred.

"By the lie of bliss in your presence..."

Her heart pounded, beat against her chest in violent reminder.

"I swear..."

Rushing ears while the mundane fogged at the periphery.

"vengeance for your love."

She knows.

Her hand found the reins and the cold leather in hand reminded her of the resolving world. The fire bloomed before her, flames licking the warming air, savouring the fuel of her lover's last words.

Running had been the hardest decision she'd ever made. The decision she wrestled with in the depths of night's terror and the peaks of day's joy.

The decision she made still...
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---"You saw the accused on the night of the murder", the defence asked.

"As far as I can tell I did, from my attempts to recall", the witness spoke.

There was a pause in the courtroom.

"As far as you can tell? From your attempts to recall? Did you or did you not see the accused?", the defence pushed.

"I've already told you, from what I can tell...", the witness continued

Beginings of unrest from the judge, an indignancy rising up in him from an also rising awareness of there being an obstinant person in his court. When only he gets to be obstinant - not that he thought that. But a pace or two away from his current understanding and the snake of his indignancy simply becomes the trunk of an obstinant elephant. As much as one is obliged to describe bullets that just barely miss, surely this is an obligation as well?

"From what you can tell of your own experience?", the defence fairly gasped, all but turning to the jury in exasperation as local law did not allow such. But still managing to turn without turning "You hardly strike me as a reliable witness, when you barely seem to know yourself!"

Something like iron dipped into the witnesses eyes. Something like a judge itself.

"Is this court aware of cognitive bias studies...?", the witness speaks, heavy lidded, trailing, as if an executioner speaking warrant.

The impertinence rises on the Judges back like hackles, as indeed it does so literally as well.

"In this courtroom you are to answer questions to the best of your ability or I will have to reprimand you with contempt of court. Witness, please ", the word please hissing with its lie of gun-to-your-head-aren't-I-reasonableness "answer the questions as best you can"

The laughter is non sequitur - low, full...inviting, even. None can indeed enact reprimands for something that is so out of place...worse, for something that tickles and pricks, a whisper like something overhead from the back row of a class, something that seems so in place. Like midnight coming at a masquerade ball.

It ebbs, before it can meet the requirements of the norm for that which offends.

The iron in the eyes of the witness eyes glitters, as if at foundry. The dishonesty, the misstruth they ask - they demand at gun point. The witness is just a man, he has no care for causes at random occasions - to lay down part of his life in a concrete box, or even risk all of it. Yet the other way lies another death of another kind, and he has no wish to be undead either.

Inwardly he laughs again, tastes the moment of release that is the insanity of being an animal backed into a corner. The simple release of choosing snarling, snapping, biting - no more complex world, just simple direction. He muses, chooses his next words like a butcher chooses his knives.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 ---Ah, more to catch up on...
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Lol, drop in the bucket compared to your portfolio here, sci ;).

Callan, I know everyone seems to hate on Card but this reminded me so much of this short story he has. I'll try and find it.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---Mike, if this Card guy has the character suddenly realise he has a weasel word get out by simply claiming it's his religion to doubt his memory and perception, I'll freak!! I was thinking of editing that in.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version