Proyas's mother [Q&A]

• 19 Replies

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:58:55 pm »
Hello all,

Rereading TDTCB I noticed this from Achamian's perspective,

Over the four years he had spent as court tutor in the Conriyan capital of Aöknyssus, Achamian had fallen in love with the boy—even more than with his legendary mother.

Does anyone recall if she was ever mentioned again in the series?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:44:54 pm »
Haha, you'd think with a description like that she'd be in there again, but I don't recall that she ever is brought up again. However, my memory is mediocre at best. Maybe someone else remembers.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:38:30 pm »
Hello all,

Rereading TDTCB I noticed this from Achamian's perspective,

Over the four years he had spent as court tutor in the Conriyan capital of Aöknyssus, Achamian had fallen in love with the boy—even more than with his legendary mother.

Does anyone recall if she was ever mentioned again in the series?

Akkeagni - i think there is a part in WLW where proyas is reminiscing about carrying his mother's 'train' dress-thingy.  Perhaps in proyas' pov before the meeting with kellhus and nonmen?  i can't remember anything special about it, but you've got me curious!

calling it now--proyas will be like augustine for the next age of earwa and his mom will be st monica!!!

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:57 pm »
Ah, thanks. I found the passage in WLW, but like you said, nothing special I noticed.

Garet Jax

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »
I completely missed both of these instances.  It is interesting to think about her now...

But, it does beg the question of how far we are reading into everything.  While realizing that our circumstances are almost forcing us to dig so deep, one must keep in mind the Dwarves of Moria who delved too greedily and too deep.  We know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum... shadow and flame.

Now do any of us want that on our conscience?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:15:43 pm »
Yes. Yes I do. Bring it on.

Garet Jax

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:10 pm »
(click to show/hide)

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:39:33 pm »
lol, if Bakker's right about nihilism-semantic-apocalypse then we're just pissing away the time

truly, i want all of Bakker's works printed in small type in two columns on a page with very thin pages, bound into one volume, and broken into numbered verses...

rnblut

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:13 am »
I am in the midst of rereading the Thousandfold Thought and came across this other mention of Proyas mother.
It is Chapter 4 (kind of a weird chapter since it includes the emperor being killed by his mother, the orphan Hertata being taken by slavers in Summa [what the hell was that about]).  DA is reflecting on how things have changed since Kellhus has taken over the Holy War and remarks
"On one occasion, after Esmenet's palfrey was lamed while descending a precarious switchback trail in the Enathpanean hills, Achamian watched as some dozen knights offered to give her their chargers - something tantamount to giving her their honour, since their mounts were their means of waging war.  Achamian had witnessed much the same while accompanying Proyas and his mother to her dowager estates in Anplei."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:36:25 am »
Interesting. So she does get mentioned a few times, but so far just in passing...

Welcome to the forum rnblut.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
I am in the midst of rereading the Thousandfold Thought and came across this other mention of Proyas mother.
It is Chapter 4 (kind of a weird chapter since it includes the emperor being killed by his mother, the orphan Hertata being taken by slavers in Summa [what the hell was that about]).  DA is reflecting on how things have changed since Kellhus has taken over the Holy War and remarks
"On one occasion, after Esmenet's palfrey was lamed while descending a precarious switchback trail in the Enathpanean hills, Achamian watched as some dozen knights offered to give her their chargers - something tantamount to giving her their honour, since their mounts were their means of waging war.  Achamian had witnessed much the same while accompanying Proyas and his mother to her dowager estates in Anplei."

Welcome rnblut!  Sweet observation.  Are you a nurse?  I want to be a nurse!

rnblut

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »
LOL.  No, I am not a nurse.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:12:21 pm »
sorry! thought it might be Registered Nurse Blut.  i am going to be a nurse for reals however!  woohoo!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 08:02:01 pm »
lol MG that was a pretty big leap.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile