• 24 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 02:02:03 pm »
I'm glad for the further distinction between the two. I agree that Anime has moved me far more than any other animated show. Also, I can't agree more about  watching english dubbed versions. So much is either lost or removed that it takes out the whole soul. I know one vivid example. My favorite episode of Bleach, what I originally watched subbed, much later came out as the dubbed version. I wanted to re-watch it in English, and I was so disappointed. All the emotion/feeling was stipped out, all the prose and quality acting was gone, and all that was left was some silly lines and a mediocre fight scene. I've not watched any englished dubbed anime since.

btw, In your opinion, is  "Avatar: The Last Air Bender" an anime?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Conditioned

• Emwama
  • Instructions: blather, rinse, repeat if necessary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 08:52:58 am »
Hehe, I almost brought up both Avatar and Afro Samurai in my last post. Personally, although I consider them both pretty good shows, I think of them more like American portraits of anime. The biggest problem I had with Avatar was that it was more targeted toward kids than most the stuff I usually watch, but it was made for Nickelodeon and was done pretty well regardless. The only thing I remember not liking about Afro Samurai was that it felt sort of like a more immature, race-oriented ripoff of Samurai Champloo (and that is one of my favorite shows of all time). Both shows had A LOT of Japanese people in their production crew though, so I think that helped with their anime-ish feel.

Anyway, some of you need to go check out the first episode of 'Attack on titan' (like right now!) and let me know what you think. Just google it, a million websites stream it. I hadn't read the manga yet when I started watching it and it creeped me the fuck out! The music is so epic that I had chills throughout the whole goddamn show.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:25 am »
Attack on Titan is very good. 
Just finished the first season of anime, it drags in the middle but the last 4 episodes are worth it.
Story is awesome and some of the action scenes are breathtakingly staged.  Some things just look so good in anime, I don't think you can pull it of in RL or CGI, you need that eastern stylistic morphism.

Interestingly, the art of the manga is very different and contributes more to the claustrophobic intensity of the setting.  Worth checking out if you are interested in the differences between manga and anime, I think.

Loses a point for annoying glotal noises and too much shouting from the voice actors.

Anyhoo, 8.5/10. I encourage anyone with a mild interest in comics,manga, Bakker and/or anime to check dat shit.

@ Wilshire; the later Miyazaki films are the only ones worth watching dubbed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:31:54 am by Curethan »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57:32 pm »
Yeah I watched the first 2 episodes a few weeks back, I liked it. I'll probably get around to watching it all sooner or later.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:48:43 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 04:48:30 pm »
How many episodes are there (of Attack on Titan)? I've at 9 now, and the site i'm using shows somewhere around 21. Is that it?
its great so far and I hope there are more!

EDIT:
Also, are there any good websites that you people prefer to watch anime on? I find that a lot of them are intolerable.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:12:42 pm by Wilshire »

Conditioned

• Emwama
  • Instructions: blather, rinse, repeat if necessary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 03:18:19 pm »
There are 26 episodes in total, but #13 or 14 was a recap of what happened in the season before it. I think they called it 13b or 14b. http://www.otakusekai.tv/ seems to be pretty good for most anime, you just have the one ad for like 8 secs before you can skip it and watch the show in hd. in case you have trouble finding the show on google, keep in mind it is called 'Shingeki no Kyojin' in Japanese.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 12:29:46 pm »
I am a big fan of Manga/Anime. The japanese (and to some extent the korean) comic and animation world is so much deeper and more fascinating than the american one. At least to me.

I loved the new Berserk Movies a lot, even if they were heavily condensed. So if you have not read the Manga, you have not much clue of what is going on and why. The manga is very bloody and violent...sometimes a bit too much and needlesly imo, but if you can get through this, there is a very inspiring story behind it. And it is a bit Bakker-y, i agree  ;D

Other Anime i enjoyed:

Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms)
Swordart Online
Serei no Moribito (Guardian of the Spirit)
Tears to Tiara
The Legend of the legendary Heroes (i know, idiotic title  ;D )
Scrapped Princess
Princess Mononoke
Sword of a Stranger
Claymore
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

And i am sure i forgot many other worthwile anime series and movies.

Manga/Manhwa

Berserk
Claymore
Chunchu
Utopia's Avenger
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Shaman Warrior

And that is just off the top of my head.

As to Attack on Titan...i find it very weird. The artwork is very good but the story is...weird. I don't see a point as of yet (granted, i have only seen the first 9 Eps).
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Raizen

• Suthenti
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »
Looking through the lists here, you guys seem to have the same taste in anime as I do.  I'd like to add that I've almost completed Hellsing OVA/Hellsing Ultimate (it can be called both).  It is a redux of the anime that is closer to the original Manga, much like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.  One of the darkest, incredibly captivating anime I've ever seen.  There are 10, 1 hour long episodes and I'm going to be watching number 10 tonight.  I would highly recommend it, very thrilling, very bloody, and the English dub is praised as one of the best.  The voice acting of the main character "Alucard" is fantastic.
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 05:02:41 pm »
i recommend Madoka Magica!  it's like a deconstruction of Sailor Moon!  i don't want to spoil it, but episode by episode it unfolds into an epic tragedy!

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:12:58 pm »
anybody Fate/Zero?  i quite liked it.  am watching the old Fate/Stay Night now