Aspiring novelist from Kevin's Watch

• 3 Replies

Artsuhtaraz

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:40:10 am »
Hello everyone!

Before I learned of Bakker through fellow Watcher Brinn (goes by another name here), it was easier to feel discouraged about working on a philosophical epic fantasy novel for the past 20 years, in virtual obscurity.  As Tolkien has said of his own work, my tale grew in the telling.  Now it has expanded into at least 6 books, the first of which will need to be broken into 2 or 3, depending on how much I can whittle down the 400,000 words I've got for book 1 so far.  Watching it grow has been not as much exhilarating as it is depressing.  (Sorry, couldn't resist ... 8) ... Madness gets it.)     

After learning about Bakker's experiences, I've been encouraged by his example.  Inexplicably, there appears to be an audience out there for unabashedly philosophical, thought-provoking fantasy!  Who would have guessed?  You crazy fuckers rock.  I've only been a lurker for a few weeks, so I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Until the disappointing TUC, I was having difficulty deciding if Bakker was my 1st or 3rd choice for favorite fantasy author (you can probably guess the other two :) ).  I'm extremely impressed with his vision, prose, and intellectual rigor.  I'm moved by his evocative, conflicted, and enigmatic characters.  I'm jealous of the things he does that I could never do, but can't wait to show you all the things that are uniquely me. 

It's a wonderful time, for fantasy authors and fans alike! 

[Zarathustra" was taken.  I'm a mirror of my Watch self here.] 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:51:54 am by Artsuhtaraz »

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 07:08:55 am »
Hello everyone!

Before I learned of Bakker through fellow Watcher Brinn (goes by another name here), it was easier to feel discouraged about working on a philosophical epic fantasy novel for the past 20 years, in virtual obscurity.  As Tolkien has said of his own work, my tale grew in the telling.  Now it has expanded into at least 6 books, the first of which will need to be broken into 2 or 3, depending on how much I can whittle down the 400,000 words I've got for book 1 so far.  Watching it grow has been not as much exhilarating as it is depressing.  (Sorry, couldn't resist ... 8) ... Madness gets it.)     

After learning about Bakker's experiences, I've been encouraged by his example.  Inexplicably, there appears to be an audience out there for unabashedly philosophical, thought-provoking fantasy!  Who would have guessed?  You crazy fuckers rock.  I've only been a lurker for a few weeks, so I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Until the disappointing TUC, I was having difficulty deciding if Bakker was my 1st or 3rd choice for favorite fantasy author (you can probably guess the other two :) ).  I'm extremely impressed with his vision, prose, and intellectual rigor.  I'm moved by his evocative, conflicted, and enigmatic characters.  I'm jealous of the things he does that I could never do, but can't wait to show you all the things that are uniquely me. 

It's a wonderful time, for fantasy authors and fans alike! 

[Zarathustra" was taken.  I'm a mirror of my Watch self here.]

Welcome, fellow Watcher, glad you could make it.
Mystery denotes darkness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:17:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum Artsuhtaraz. We are a small and passionate community, I hope you add your particular wiles to it. 8)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:41:48 pm »
Well met, Artsuhtaraz. Glad we didn't impede you from joining entirely.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse 8).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer