MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 08:02:56 pm »
Quote from:  Wilshire
Haha, MSJ, you didn't realize what you brought up when you said 'declaw the cat'. Its a pretty sensitive subject for a lot of people.

:(

Ummm, no I didn't realize how it could be a touchy subject. As I said, not a cat person and never had one as a pet, ever. The one person I knew who was a cat lover, declawed all his cats. They all were inside cats. I kinda thought it normal......again, I'm sorry. I can definitely see that if they were outside cats it would render the defenseless.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:25 pm »
Ummm, no I didn't realize how it could be a touchy subject. As I said, not a cat person and never had one as a pet, ever. The one person I knew who was a cat lover, declawed all his cats. They all were inside cats. I kinda thought it normal......again, I'm sorry. I can definitely see that if they were outside cats it would render the defenseless.

Never mind, MSJ. Since, as you said, you're not a cat person, I figured you might not know what declawing a cat really entailed, that's all. :)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 08:35:15 pm »
Quote from:  ToT
Never mind, MSJ. Since, as you said, you're not a cat person, I figured you might not know what declawing a cat really entailed, that's all.  :)

ToT, I appreciate you informing me. I am against any form of hurt/neglect towards animals. Now, if we got a cat, I would never do that after the information you provided me.

My sister had a dog when her kids was young. She would keep the dog in the basement or on a 5 foot chain in the backyard 90% of the time. Me and her had words many a time over it. I thought it was like prison for the dog. It broke my heart, I would go to her house and take the dog for walks all the time because of it. Dogs take time and patience, if you don't have it or life circumstances don't allow it......no pets. Should be a damn law.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 08:49:58 pm »
ToT, I appreciate you informing me. I am against any form of hurt/neglect towards animals. Now, if we got a cat, I would never do that after the information you provided me.

My sister had a dog when her kids was young. She would keep the dog in the basement or on a 5 foot chain in the backyard 90% of the time. Me and her had words many a time over it. I thought it was like prison for the dog. It broke my heart, I would go to her house and take the dog for walks all the time because of it. Dogs take time and patience, if you don't have it or life circumstances don't allow it......no pets. Should be a damn law.

I'm glad to hear that. :) I think many people may think declawing is more harmless than it actually is by equating cat claws with human nails, it's really not that good a comparison.

That's a sad story, that poor dog. :( I have several acquaintances that have/had had pets in similar circumstances (especially locked up dogs like your sister's) and it sucks just hearing about it and not being able to do anything about it. Fortunately my friends and relatives are more responsible about those things and either do a good job caring for their pets or don't have any. People who get cats, dogs and other animals as they'd get a new sofa or something really shouldn't be allowed to have any pets.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 12:45:37 am »
Quote from:  ToT
That's a sad story, that poor dog. :( I have several acquaintances that have/had had pets in similar circumstances (especially locked up dogs like your sister's) and it sucks just hearing about it and not being able to do anything about it. Fortunately my friends and relatives are more responsible about those things and either do a good job caring for their pets or don't have any. People who get cats, dogs and other animals as they'd get a new sofa or something really shouldn't be allowed to have any pets.

This occurred with my sister when her kids were young. Her youngest now is 16 and they have two Boxers now and they treat them as they should be. Which makes me happy to know my sister wasn't just cruel, but didn't have proper time for the care of a dog then. Them Boxers are huge and they think they are lap dogs. My mom was mad when she got them, because off baseless stories of them being viscous. They're like two little babies. But, protective. You take them on a walk and see another dog and its all I can do to hold on to them. Well, the male at least, female not so much. I love those dogs and they have always been gentle with my kids. My 2 year old playa with them and its a sight. They let him do anything to them and then knock him down and lick him til he's sopping wet, lol. Its all about how you, the owner, treats a dog.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 12:46:40 am »
Agreed - those of us who have genuine connection with our pets are dumbfounded by those who have pets for amusement.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2018, 01:11:38 pm »
It is truly amazing how a dog will reflect its owner's behaviors.

I firmly believe that there aren't any 'bad' dog breeds.
I also believe equally strongly that not all people should be allowed to have any dog breed. Some breeds just take more work than others to behave appropriately.

They all take some amount of training, but some are more strong headed than others, and people who don't know how to take care of dogs end up making poorly behaved dogs. Toy breeds are the worst in that regard - you have owners who don't have to train their dogs properly because the damage they can do is minimal. No one is calling the police when the Chihuahua bites your ankle. Unlike, for example, everyone's favorite breed to hate - pitbulls. They can be intimidating looking to begin with, and they are stubborn. The owner needs to know how to be in charge because people will call the police if it sniffs impolitely in their direction.

But regardless of the breed, if you treat a dog like it needs to be treated (ie like a dog and not like a human child or a slave) its absolutely incredible how resilient and happy they can be, even coming from terrible situations.

I think people would be much happier with their dogs if they had an appropriate dog assigned to them by someone who knew what they were doing, rather than letting people get dogs because they like how they look.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 02:38:23 pm »
This occurred with my sister when her kids were young. Her youngest now is 16 and they have two Boxers now and they treat them as they should be. Which makes me happy to know my sister wasn't just cruel, but didn't have proper time for the care of a dog then. Them Boxers are huge and they think they are lap dogs. My mom was mad when she got them, because off baseless stories of them being viscous. They're like two little babies. But, protective. You take them on a walk and see another dog and its all I can do to hold on to them. Well, the male at least, female not so much. I love those dogs and they have always been gentle with my kids. My 2 year old playa with them and its a sight. They let him do anything to them and then knock him down and lick him til he's sopping wet, lol. Its all about how you, the owner, treats a dog.

That's good to hear. I do think that most people who mistreat animals like that are not actually cruel (though certainly some are), but like you said don't have the time to deal with the animal, or don't really know how. Which is a good argument in favour of waiting until you are ready to deal with a pet responsibly...

It is truly amazing how a dog will reflect its owner's behaviors.

I firmly believe that there aren't any 'bad' dog breeds.
I also believe equally strongly that not all people should be allowed to have any dog breed. Some breeds just take more work than others to behave appropriately.

They all take some amount of training, but some are more strong headed than others, and people who don't know how to take care of dogs end up making poorly behaved dogs. Toy breeds are the worst in that regard - you have owners who don't have to train their dogs properly because the damage they can do is minimal. No one is calling the police when the Chihuahua bites your ankle. Unlike, for example, everyone's favorite breed to hate - pitbulls. They can be intimidating looking to begin with, and they are stubborn. The owner needs to know how to be in charge because people will call the police if it sniffs impolitely in their direction.

But regardless of the breed, if you treat a dog like it needs to be treated (ie like a dog and not like a human child or a slave) its absolutely incredible how resilient and happy they can be, even coming from terrible situations.

I think people would be much happier with their dogs if they had an appropriate dog assigned to them by someone who knew what they were doing, rather than letting people get dogs because they like how they look.

That is very true. And I can relate to that in how my sister raised her Chihuahua - I love that dog and have known him since he was a puppy, but he can be pretty agressive and antisocial. Never socialized enough or early on with other animals, especially other dogs. Doesn't get enough exercise. Not much that can be done now, since he's already an adult dog (4 years old) and not my dog to raise after all (doesn't even live with me, only around when my sister comes to stay with us every now and then).
Getting dogs based on how they look is such a stupid thing to do. It goes back to my earlier comment on how some people get a new cat or dog as if they were getting a new piece of furniture. Back when my mother got our first dog, she chose a Labrador based on the breed's personality, and it worked out well for everyone. No one here would be able to train or deal with a dog such as a Pitbull adequately, so guess what, we never got one. No problems. People really should do some research or ask someone who knows for advice before getting a dog of X breed because "they looked so cute" or some similar reason.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 01:05:23 pm »
Sacha is 11 today! Here he is doing his favourite thing - sleeping on my bed.