Identity of the Mutilated

• 15 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:58:45 pm »
TLEILAXU and I were discussing the possible identity of the Mutilated in the Quorum and I mentioned how shortly after reading TUC I had considered the possibility that one or more of them could be (one or more of) the Pragma mentioned in PON. According to the wiki, however, Samarmau Uän was born in 4001 and Meigon was born in 4002, which would make them 131 and 130 as of TAE. So, it would be exceedingly unlikely for one or both of them to be among the Mutilated (unless chanv was involved, I suppose).
But then we noticed that the third Pragma mentioned by name, Kessriga Jeükal does not have his birth date given in the text, and unlike the other two does not have a glossary entry. Which could be significant by itself. To be sure, Jeükal taught Kellhus in his youth and Kellhus was in his 50s during TAE, so he can't be a young man in any case, but it's possible he was nowhere near as old as the other two. And keep in mind that Malowebi himself is not young either, so maybe he wouldn't remark on the Mutilated's age as, say, someone like Sorweel or Kelmomas might have had. TLEILAXU also pointed out that the burnt Mutilated's scars are so extensive they might actually make it hard for Malowebi to tell what his actual age is.
So it definitely seems that there could be some clues here - anyway, it's as interesting a subject to discuss as any. Anyone else want to comment/add some details we might have missed?
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:32 pm »
Another thing we discussed is that the unscarred Mutilated is a bit suspicious, being unscarred and all.

Jabberwock03

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:51:12 am »
Didn't Bakker said somewhere that we never saw them before?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:27 am »
Another thing we discussed is that the unscarred Mutilated is a bit suspicious, being unscarred and all.

I agree - I think it's a telltale that he was a traitor, without whom The Consult might've lost the battle of Ishual. A skinspy wouldn't have been successful infiltrating them on the sly, but they could've sent in a sorcerer ( Shae? ) skinspy who they knew would get caught but who would then use a Cant of Compulsion to get one of them to turn. Just speculation, but either that cat surrendered quick to avoid injury ( seems unlikely, if a defective then would've been dispatched by Dunyain earlier on ), was captured by surprise ( seems unlikely ) or was an agent of The Consult from the get go.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:24:42 pm »
A turncoat is an interesting thought, but I have trouble imagining that the Consult wouldn't have tortured any Dunyain. At no point would there be an opportunity to come to the Consult safely during the war. Think about it: early on, they want to know everything about the Dunyain, years into the war they are furious at the Dunyain and want to exterminate them, and at the end of the war they take prisoners. At any point, the Dunyain they get a hold of need to be either punished or have information extracted.

More likely to me is that the Unscarred came to the Consult/Golgotterath after the Dunyain had already taken over. That's the only scenario where a Dunyain could walk into the Ark and not be captured and tortured. That has some other interesting implication too though.

Maybe that there might be a dunyain wondering around the wilderness still.
Or that these Dunyain are still continuing the mission, still breeding new dunyain, and Mr.Noscars was one of the new ones. I would imagine with the tekne they could get some proper Axolotl Tanks.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Jabberwock03

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 01:28:54 pm »
Or maybe the others fought well against countless srancs, and he just happened to be knock out before he could do anything.

False Man

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 02:03:16 pm »
Maybe not a real traitor, just someone who accepts that they're going to be defeated and decides it's meaningless to continue to fight a battle already lost.
Sorcery was the decisive factor, the thing that turned the tide of the battle, the Dunyain retreat into the Thousand Thousand Halls (maybe the very definition of Conditioned Ground) and still they are unable to win against these invaders.
I can totally see some Dunyain rational enough to try to avoid utter destruction for their tribe.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:04:14 pm »

I agree - I think it's a telltale that he was a traitor, without whom The Consult might've lost the battle of Ishual.

Why do his scars need to be visable to be real?  He could well be the one who they managed to turn via Cants of Compulsion, or broken by showing him the mutilation of the others.  Psychological trauma, or torture, is no less real.  Alternatively, he might have been the one for whom just seeing the Inverse Fire was enough to turn him.

Second, once the location of Ishuäl was known, it was only a matter of time before it would be destroyed by the Consult.  I don't believe it would take a traitor to have Ishuäl fall.  Sranc are almost innumerable and the fortress itself of mundane construction, there was no way the Dûnyain could hold out forever.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 06:40:20 pm »
I agree - I think it's a telltale that he was a traitor, without whom The Consult might've lost the battle of Ishual.

Why do his scars need to be visable to be real?  He could well be the one who they managed to turn via Cants of Compulsion, or broken by showing him the mutilation of the others.  Psychological trauma, or torture, is no less real.  Alternatively, he might have been the one for whom just seeing the Inverse Fire was enough to turn him.

While that is a viable possibility, H, Malowebi's narration might indicate there is something going on with the unscarred Dûnyain (this is from chapter 18 of TUC, bolding mine):
He alone appeared unscarred and intact, though his attitude was so remote as to be cruel.
Of course, this is open to interpretation.

Or that these Dunyain are still continuing the mission, still breeding new dunyain, and Mr.Noscars was one of the new ones. I would imagine with the tekne they could get some proper Axolotl Tanks.

Now that's an intriguing idea, pity that Malowebi's narration didn't give us any clues regarding one or more of them seeming younger than the rest.
One issue I can see with this is that Ishuäl was presumably discovered less than 20 years before the events of TAE, so you'd think Malowebi would notice if one or more of the Mutilated was under 20 years of age. Again, this could be explained by the scars being disfiguring enough to hide that (this considering that someone other than the unscarred one was a second-generation Dûnyain) or that the Tekne allowed them to have the new Dûnyain grow to adulthood very rapidly?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:10:04 am by H »
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 09:53:19 pm »
Do we actually know for a fact those mutilations came from tortures by Consult and/or from war wounds? Could be a self-inflicted thing after getting full access to IF. That way the Unscarred is the one hell of a creepy person. Or he was in a control gropu to have both IFed and nonIFed duniyains. Or he's a mastermind who tested IF with others and just observed the results.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 04:43:46 pm »
Self inflicted wounds doesn't sound like something a Dunyain would do.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »
I don't think the Mutilated mutilated themselves either, but remember that there had been suicides after their contamination by the outside world, up until Koringhus himself jumps to his death.

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 05:13:52 pm »

I dunno.  Moenghus both scarred his arms like a Scylvendi AND put out his own eyes.  I think the question to always ask when looking at Dunyain behavior is; does this particular end justify that particular mean?  If a Dunyain is convinced the answer is yes, I don't think you can put ANY behavior past him.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:03 am »
I dunno.  Moenghus both scarred his arms like a Scylvendi AND put out his own eyes.  I think the question to always ask when looking at Dunyain behavior is; does this particular end justify that particular mean?  If a Dunyain is convinced the answer is yes, I don't think you can put ANY behavior past him.
That's most certainly the way I see it, at the least.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 11:44:16 am »
Fair enough. I should have said I don't see the point of the self harm in this case.