• 3 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »
Quote from: Jorge
So, I'm re-reading this book because there are thematic ties to Scott's other works (particularly LTG) that I think I may have missed.

The best part is I'm reading it aloud to my GF, doing voices and shit. I love doing Disciple's "FAAAAAAAAAWK" out-loud.

This book is probably Bakker's funniest, since the main character doesn't take himself (or life, in general) very seriously, a far cry from TSA, Neuropath and LTG where everything is loaded to the brim with pathos.

If you haven't given it a read yet, I highly recommend it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:14 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Yeh, I just reread it too, Jorge. My fourth time. I love Disciple. I can't wait for another - I've heard Bakker has got some on the backburner but Disciple needs to sell more first to really engage them :(.

I laugh out loud all the time reading it and usually in the most awkward of places - I'm something of a day to day nomad. Constantly in public.

Friday to Tuesday are usually terrible for me in terms of availability but I have some thoughts on Disciple and Neuropath I want to flesh out in the next little while.

Food for thought. In Disciple, the character pretty much exercises zero agency himself, an interesting contrast to generic Detective novels. Also, that perfect memory (Disciple) and immortal diminished memory (Nonmen) still have distinct symptoms - traumatic being the easiest & strongest memory to form in both cases.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:22 pm »
Quote from: rubys00
oh, i wish my bf read to me aloud, it would be hilarious~! :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, just got to ask him. Welcome to the forum, rubys00 :).