• 68 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:38 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Derp.  My crab fingers type independantly of Mr Brain.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Nah but a either way what a terrible way to grow up. That kid would have all kinds of issues.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:48 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Derp! And a healthy lifespan.

I've yet to weigh in on the budding thread but I hazard I might as its far more... charitable than the other versions I've not engaged.

But this Serwa the Womb shit is going to cause a ruckus ;)...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:59 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
For pities sake, those with the judging eye have only still borns - so obviously if she births when the no god is up and dancing, it'll be one that's alive! Just because intuitive inversion and the world actually caters to human intuition!

Stop getting it the wrong way around! I will get out a rolled up newspaper if I have to!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:03 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
O.o

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:09 pm »
Team Serwa!

Though I had thought about Mimara's baby being born alive during the Years of the Crib, that would simply make him God incarnate, actually.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
For pities sake, those with the judging eye have only still borns - so obviously if she births when the no god is up and dancing, it'll be one that's alive! Just because intuitive inversion and the world actually caters to human intuition!

Stop getting it the wrong way around! I will get out a rolled up newspaper if I have to!
according to the received wisdom of an incredibly misogynistic culture within an incredibly misogynistic society.  It's more than likely that sorcerers would have spent millenia downplaying the Judging Eye because it was something they could never possess.  Due to the fact that it could only be grasped by a woman, it must be lesser, thus it must be made diminutive. 

I seriously doubt Achamian was 100% right about the Judging Eye, just as I doubt the veracity of the Seswatha Dreams.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:20 pm »
So the association with still births is actually false (or perhaps a false observation - perhaps by chance as much as some women are infertile, some of the prior judging eyes just happened to be infertile but it was treated as an associated trait)?

Maybe.

It might be a bit meta of me though, but I think the author courts our credibility - the more you make such bald statements a lie (rather than a truth for lies on other matters to then cling on like barnacles), the more anything you write loses the readers granting of credibility.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:25 pm »
All fiction is inherently a lie.  Any attribution of credibility is merely a willful illusion the audience engages in.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »
+1 lockesnow. I prefer all fiction is all anachronistic but meh. I'd dismissed your hypothesis before but I wonder... are you suggesting that woman with the Judging Eye are a suppressed Few like Witches and Wizards but that its occurrence would have been as prevalent as grasping the onta?

This doesn't have more of White-Luck Warrior, Kahiht, World-Moving events type feel to you? That's what makes narrative, and this case, fantasy, so EPIC! The accumulation of synchronicity.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:36 pm »
I wasn't suggesting that, but I like it, so I'm going to say, yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I was just being a contrarian pedantic ass with the comment right above yours.  The comment before that was more directed at the point that Akka is an unreliable narrator and has a well known blindspot when it comes to women.

What if the Judging Eye is the origin of all sorcery?  That before the first woman grasped it, men and cunoroi had no access to speaking with the gods' voice?  She showed the way, perhaps women even developed sorcery by expanding the principles of the Judging Eye and then reapplying them to speaking and listening, rather than just seeing.  Males then stole the knowledge ala Prometheus and then there was a war between the sexes.  males won, and suppressed and dominated women from then on--but the cost was damnation.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »
Didn't you have the guess about stillbirths and the No-God's rise being, contemporary, but different events?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:47 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
What if the Judging Eye is the origin of all sorcery?  ...  males won, and suppressed and dominated women from then on--but the cost was damnation.
RSB is not MZB. :P

Seriously, it's a cool idea, but it's too nice and neat and affirming to be Bakker's style.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:54 pm »
Hmm... depends on what you think it affirms, Duskweaver?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 08:47:00 pm »
What is MZB?

Yeah I think I did have that theory, Madness.