Interlude: Ishual

• 114 Replies

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2014, 09:36:15 am »
Thanks, Madness. So many things I missed...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2014, 11:22:16 am »
It doesn't help that Bakker loves seeding and throws so many of these awesome and informative kinds of one/two-liners in there.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:03 pm »
All the members you quoted there that I listed are of the Few. That's still a lot of members of one lineage, from two random couple pairings of Dunyain and worldborn to produce Few children.

EDIT: I think it is weird that only two of five are of the Few. Though, if only two of six of Moenghus' were (Maithanet & possibly Meppa).

Kellhus is Moe's son. So 2 that we know and possibly Meppa :P. Mimara is also of the few, so Esmenet has 6 children alive, and 3 can See, and Moenghus Sr. also had 6 children and possibly 3 of them can See (again, if you include Meppa, which I am for now). That makes each case 50/50 :).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:23 pm »
All the members you quoted there that I listed are of the Few. That's still a lot of members of one lineage, from two random couple pairings of Dunyain and worldborn to produce Few children.

EDIT: I think it is weird that only two of five are of the Few. Though, if only two of six of Moenghus' were (Maithanet & possibly Meppa).

Kellhus is Moe's son. So 2 that we know and possibly Meppa :P. Mimara is also of the few, so Esmenet has 6 children alive, and 3 can See, and Moenghus Sr. also had 6 children and possibly 3 of them can See (again, if you include Meppa, which I am for now). That makes each case 50/50 :).

Sounds more like the Half than the Few   :D
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2014, 01:53:47 pm »
Yeah, but being persecuted and hunted for hundreds of years can be rather damaging to your numbers ;). Even strictly dominant genetic traits can be wiped out if you kill all the affect peoples before they reproduce. "Seeing" seems to be more complex, and either co-dominant or recessive, which would make it far easier to get rid of.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2014, 01:59:37 pm »
Lol... Kellhus makes seven, Wilshire :P? Moenghus the Elder had six worldborn children, otherwise.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2014, 02:09:29 pm »
Damnit. Stop using logic to ruin my pretty numbers. 3/7 is only 43%. Still suggests that "Few" is a term relevant only to the total # of known schoolmen. From our two data points we can (poorly) show that there would be far more Few if they were left alone to breed at will.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2014, 03:50:12 pm »
I'm thinking about that analogy that Akka used to tell Esmi what had happened to X's soul when the Scarlet Spires compelled him.  Something about a flood that washes over the land and changes the course of the rivers.  I wonder if Kellhus could manipulate a soul to the point that it gained the Gift of the Few?  No hints of this so far, but it would be neat.

Or manipulate a soul to the point it lost its gift--this would be a cool way to take down Consult members.  Like the end of Avatar: The Last Airbender?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:06 am »
I'm thinking about that analogy that Akka used to tell Esmi what had happened to X's soul when the Scarlet Spires compelled him.  Something about a flood that washes over the land and changes the course of the rivers.  I wonder if Kellhus could manipulate a soul to the point that it gained the Gift of the Few?  No hints of this so far, but it would be neat.

Or manipulate a soul to the point it lost its gift--this would be a cool way to take down Consult members.  Like the end of Avatar: The Last Airbender?

More likely that he can take away rather than give. Getting the ability to see the onta seems like tekne ground, but its easier to take away, like plucking out ones eyes to remove sight.