• 46 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:11 pm »
Quote from: Camlost
With all the speculation bouncing around on this board I thought I'd start a thread for our narrative hopes.

Like Madness has mentioned in a number of posts, I would love to see a siege at Dagliash reminiscent of Helm's Deep much like Cil Aujas was of Moria.

I'd like to see a depiction of the Thousand Thousand Halls. Maybe Akka and Mimara are poking around the ruins of Ishual and discover the entrance to a subterranean labyrinth where they inadvertently discover Dunyain survivors of the razing of Ishual (cause I mean come on, do any of us really believe the Dunyain could be caught unawares or unprepared). Or maybe they encounter Mekertrig, who pursued the fleeing Dunyain into the Halls and got lost. I think an Erratic in the labyrinth would be interesting, especially coupled with the fact that Akka now wears Nil'giccas' mail.

Which brings me to another, really looking forward to Akka's arrival in Istherbinth.

I long for some influence or agency from our first Dunyain resident in Earwa, Moe Elder. I know it's easy evidence but thirty years is a long time, nor do I think he was as crippled by the loss of his sight as we might think. The two full blood Dunyain we know could apprehend the Unta. Whether each were of the Few or it's a byproduct of a few thousand years of eugenics and conditioning, I don't think Moe was as ignorant in his decision as we've been lead to believe.

It's unlikely since it lies far from any of the narrative arches in the trilogy so far, I'd like to see some of Zeum. During the PoN I felt as if it outmatched the Nansur empire of the Three Seas. Some more background on it would just be nice, but also some notes of how things have changed during the reign of the Aspect Emperor (aside from sending the suicides).

Just a few things I could think of off the top of my head. What are you guys looking forward/hoping to see in the fianl installment of the Aspect Emperor trilogy?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:24 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
An explanation of some kind indicating what the Arc and the No-God are.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:33 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I just want to see inside Golgotterath.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:40 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Finding out what instantiated and initiated the 'damnation' machine. Particularly given it's apparent reach.

Also would also like to hear about the Dunyain's refugee and formative years.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »
Ah yes the origins of the Dunyain and their original creation and purpose.

Also more about the gods, including what they really are, their powers and their limitations.

More about the Nonman as a race, and a POV of one of the intact would be great.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:55 pm »
I've always been hoping he might do an installment of the Cuno-Inchoroi wars the way Tolkien did the Silmarillion

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:02 pm »
Quote from: Francis Buck
I really want to see some more Dunyain, in one form or another. I'd also like to see an Inchoroi in battle, though I have a feeling that won't happen until the end of the series.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:11 pm »
how will this trilogy end? With 2ish more books to come, who will it follow? Another 20 year leap, or more even.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:19 pm »
how will this trilogy end? With 2ish more books to come, who will it follow? Another 20 year leap, or more even.

Depending on how closely Kellhus' Ordeal mirrors Celmomas, one might assume that Kell dies, or disappears atleast, while Akka will be forced into a role of humanity's last hope like Seswatha.

I'm of the mind that the next major installment in TSA cycle will take place shortly after TUC, following Akka as he is forced to reconcile with Kell and his machinations.

But Bakker's a wily one so who knows

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:27 pm »
Hmm good parallel, never really thought about that explicitly. Kell dies or becomes the no-god, akka runs back to the world to convince people to come together (but unlike Seswatha, the 3 seas is pretty much unified so maybe they would finally unite with Zeum). Several battles, immanent doom, pushed back into a corner with no way out, no hope left, final battle. Ending is up in the air, everyone dies and inchis win or somehow the people survive and destroy the consult 'once and for all' (starting the cycle over again, ad-infinitum).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:34 pm »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
Hmmm how about Akka and Kellhus entering together the Ark like Seswatha and Nau Kayuti did?

Anyway i would love to see Kellhus true intentions, learning everything about the Consult, discovering more about the No God and the metaphysics of Earwa and of course what is going on with Kelmomas and the WLW. Oh and certainly what the next duology is going to be about.

Seems a pretty long list but somehow i think that all these will be answered in the UC.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:41 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I'd be inclined to think Kellhus's war is with the damnation machine and the gods - the consult is basically one step in that - conditioning them to use their techne towards this other mission.

But I'm not sure how being 'mad' is supposed to make Kellhus act. If there are various types of mad, I'm not sure which one he's supposed to have.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:48 pm »
(but unlike Seswatha, the 3 seas is pretty much unified so maybe they would finally unite with Zeum)

That would satisfy my thirst for Zeum. I feel as if I've heard it mentioned somewhere that the AE trilogy expanded our knowledge of Earwa, not only the revelations concerning metaphysics, but by expanding the setting into the Ancient North. If this pattern is maintained as the TSA cycle continues then perhaps it's not empty hoping to experience Zeum as a setting. 

Several battles, immanent doom, pushed back into a corner with no way out, no hope left, final battle

Suppose the Great Ordeal fails and the Consult finally obliterates the North, and in continuing south to devastate the Three Seas in their pursuit of salvation, they come closer to their goal than ever they had in the past. The Consult scatters humanity in its wake, the only resistance amassing in Zeum.

Ending is up in the air, everyone dies and inchis win or somehow the people survive

I sometimes like to entertain the idea that the second apocalypse truly comes to pass, that the Inchoroi and the Consult manage to reduce the population of Earwa to 144k only to realize that Earwa is no different from the countless other worlds they had annihilated. The idea of such grand futility in a world as intentional as Earwa possesses a kind of tragically humuorous poignancy to me

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:55 pm »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
Anyway i would love to see Kellhus true intentions, learning everything about the Consult, discovering more about the No God and the metaphysics of Earwa and of course what is going on with Kelmomas and the WLW. Oh and certainly what the next duology is going to be about.

Seems a pretty long list but somehow i think that all these will be answered in the UC.

Bakker's mentioned that he has reservations regarding TUC, fearing that it may be too much of an information overload for the reader. Speaking for myself, I will ravenously devour as much as he can deliver, even unto gluttony.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:18:03 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I sometimes like to entertain the idea that the second apocalypse truly comes to pass, that the Inchoroi and the Consult manage to reduce the population of Earwa to 144k only to realize that Earwa is no different from the countless other worlds they had annihilated. The idea of such grand futility in a world as intentional as Earwa possesses a kind of tragically humuorous poignancy to me
And then they raged to find themselves still damned. Fuck. That would suck. What then? Try to rebuild the Ark?