mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 04:33:44 pm »
I'm thinking that Kellhus might be able to do a variation on far-calling--but take it beyond dreaming states and do it wherever he is / wherever they are.

Like.

Would it be more or less complex to do cants of calling whilst away compared to the transposing your physical body? I wonder...

Moe affects to be nearly broken by sending dreams to Ishual, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Dunyain + sorcery = spatial limits simply no longer matter.  There may be some strange scenes in TUC when Kellhus stops pretending that distance matters as he flickers from Dauglish to Momen to the Ark to Ishual to Ishterebinth in a single chapter!

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2014, 04:53:30 pm »
he could be using cants of compulsion in a way to affect folks thinking as well.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »
I'm sure he his--I hope we get some explanation about this in TUC.  Kellhus tries HARD to condition people, seems like it would be simpler to just force them to do your will.  I expect there are limits to each way, so he can't compel people for every purpose.

EDIT: And psukhe compultions!  Could be anywhere, anytime!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2014, 09:40:08 am »
I'm thinking that Kellhus might be able to do a variation on far-calling--but take it beyond dreaming states and do it wherever he is / wherever they are.

Like.

Would it be more or less complex to do cants of calling whilst away compared to the transposing your physical body? I wonder...

Moe affects to be nearly broken by sending dreams to Ishual, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Dunyain + sorcery = spatial limits simply no longer matter.  There may be some strange scenes in TUC when Kellhus stops pretending that distance matters as he flickers from Dauglish to Momen to the Ark to Ishual to Ishterebinth in a single chapter!

+1

he could be using cants of compulsion in a way to affect folks thinking as well.

I'm sure he his--I hope we get some explanation about this in TUC.  Kellhus tries HARD to condition people, seems like it would be simpler to just force them to do your will.  I expect there are limits to each way, so he can't compel people for every purpose.

+1
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »
mmm Psuke compulsions. Like skin spies, but way harder to detect. The perfect sleeper cells, where even the sleeper knows not his purpose.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 08:40:10 pm »
mmm Psuke compulsions. Like skin spies, but way harder to detect. The perfect sleeper cells, where even the sleeper knows not his purpose.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK OLD MOE IS DOING TO KELLHUS!!!

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2014, 08:04:29 am »
Father, the sleeper must awaken!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 12:55:37 pm »
Father, the sleeper must awaken!
Who's saying that?

Wouldn't the father be saying, we must keep the sleepers dreaming.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 11:02:42 pm »
Rereading the last Momen chapter in WLW really makes me think that Kelmomas is Kellhus agent in Momen.

EDIT: referring to passage on page 506-7 in US edition.  Kelmomas talks about daddy sharing secrets with him.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 12:07:13 pm »
Kelmomas is 'whelmed' offscreen at the beginning of TJE. Harder for me to believe that Kel is not Kell's agent.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2014, 08:56:08 pm »
Kelmomas is 'whelmed' offscreen at the beginning of TJE. Harder for me to believe that Kel is not Kell's agent.

Whelmed without dad present?  Would he be the only kid, maybe, that got a no-kellhus whelming?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2014, 11:21:54 am »

Whelmed without dad present?  Would he be the only kid, maybe, that got a no-kellhus whelming?

It'd be interesting if this was Kellhus' mistake with Kelmomas (it's hard to think of Kellhus making mistakes but he must somewhere).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2014, 11:43:08 pm »

What? Kellhus is the one that does the whelmingly, remember he can be anywhere he wants, any when. It happened "off screen" i.e. without the reader present.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2014, 02:06:27 pm »

What? Kellhus is the one that does the whelmingly, remember he can be anywhere he wants, any when. It happened "off screen" i.e. without the reader present.

I kind of thought that whelming got two meanings in the series: one that Kellhus does personally and one that is just a ritual conducted by any old priest whatever.  I'll try to find what made me think that, I think it's something in the beginning of TTT when everyone in Caraskand is converting.

Still, that doesn't mean Kellhus wasn't there.  I think he'd take a special interest in his own kids whelming unless Maitha is right that Kellhus has abandoned the three seas.  Not whelming Kelmomas personally would be the right move if Kellhus is manipulating Kelmomas from the darkness.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »
Yeah little Kel is working for Kellhus as is everyone pretty much. I even half think that theo is playing charades making it appear she is more skittish than she is.  there are points in the books where little Kel thinks she is scrutinising him.