[TUC Spoilers] Ch. 1 & 2 Excerpts

• 90 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:51 pm »
It seems the Qirri had some effect as well.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »
I dunno, Dunyain don't seem to have any trouble committing suicide in the normal course of things.  Moengus's peers did so without ceremony.

Conditioned

• Emwama
  • Instructions: blather, rinse, repeat if necessary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:54 pm »
I remember that when TGO was released, someone found it at Barnes and Noble like 2 or 3 weeks early which made me check my local store and get it way earlier than I anticipated. I don't suppose anyone has had any luck finding an early copy of The Unholy Consult anywhere?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2017, 01:46:51 am »
Didn't know where to put this, but during my reread of TGO last night, I saw mention of Ioyukus. When they were preparing for battle at Dagliash. I just thought I'd mention it because so many have been asking about the man. Wrong thread I know, didn't really think any place would be better. :)
“The Blind Necromancer Heramari Iyokus followed in the van with the Scarlet Spires.”

Excerpt From: R. Scott Bakker. “The Great Ordeal.” The Overlook Press, 2016-07-12T04:00:00+00:00. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:51:20 am by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2017, 06:11:54 am »
Didn't know where to put this, but during my reread of TGO last night, I saw mention of Ioyukus. When they were preparing for battle at Dagliash. I just thought I'd mention it because so many have been asking about the man. Wrong thread I know, didn't really think any place would be better. :)
“The Blind Necromancer Heramari Iyokus followed in the van with the Scarlet Spires.”

Excerpt From: R. Scott Bakker. “The Great Ordeal.” The Overlook Press, 2016-07-12T04:00:00+00:00. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Very nice catch. The way Iyokus has been teased for literally all of TAE series just makes his eventual reappearance in TUC all the more likely (I'd be stunned if he didn't at least appear on-screen). Though the function he will ultimately play is interestingly varied. He seems ripe for turning over to the Consult, but that's based on his characterization 20 years ago. Since it's clear that Kellhus has at least three Ciphrang in his control, and we know that Iyokus helped Kellhus in his ventures to the Outside, I could see his POV having been withheld so long because of the insights he must have gleaned. Plus, given our new understanding of Ciphrang from TGO, the title of "Necromancer" makes a bit more sense while simultaneously producing a bunch of new questions.

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »
I asked at my B&N when it would be on the shelf. They said July 11, but I'm gonna check on the shelf a week early just in case...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2017, 01:00:27 pm »
I remember that when TGO was released, someone found it at Barnes and Noble like 2 or 3 weeks early which made me check my local store and get it way earlier than I anticipated. I don't suppose anyone has had any luck finding an early copy of The Unholy Consult anywhere?

I asked at my B&N when it would be on the shelf. They said July 11, but I'm gonna check on the shelf a week early just in case...

I'd bet that you'll be able to walk into a store and either find it on the shelves early or catch some plucky employee who will fetch it from the back before release date ;).

EDIT: If I were in UK, I'd already be looking.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:05:11 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2017, 02:45:36 pm »
Nah I'm getting mine on 6th July. I've dealt with that now.

my madness would know no bridle if i started hunting bookshops for it. Plus the 5 days of having to hold my tongue on here is long enough.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2017, 08:47:49 pm »
;) got about 8 copies or so a few weeks early from B&N.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

incuroi

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2017, 11:12:47 pm »
sorry for the late response but here's what i meant by the whale mother issue.

See this whole time we worked under the assumption that fertility in earwa works that same as the way it does on earth, which is why the issue of whale mothers doesn't make sense, but in one line in chapter 2 of the unholy consult Kayutas states that women are soil for men's seed which is why Moenghus's assumption that he looks like Esmenet doesn't make since and also why he look mostly like Cnaiur and not Serwa. Everyone in earwa are their father's children.

in fact rereading the books there is almost never an example of a character looking like their mother, they always resemble their father. if we therefore follow with the assumption that men are the givers of life and women just carry the children to term than the conundrum we've been suffering makes sense. The reason why serwe and theli don't make sense in the face of our knowledge about the whale mothers is not because of some hereditary exception with them being half-dunyain allowing them to still be functional, instead there is no such thing as a half-dunyain. The children of Khellus are full dunyain born to poor soil i.e Esmenet, she is one of the few human to be fertile enough ground to carry one to term, most simply don't or are born deformed, but she is still poor ground for dunyain seed compared to a whale mother. In the case of the whale mothers the reason they can birth dunyain children without them so much as resembling whale mothers is because again children take on their fathers trait not their mothers. As for how whale mothers are made? i'm guessing there is one male germ amongst the duyain that carries the trait for wide hips and short limb and that germ is used to produce more whale mothers and nothing else, women born to whale mother but not having that trait i'm guessing are either made useful or disposed of. When you think about it, early in the series we have multiple people commenting on how khellus looks like celmomas, why is that? for the same reason as all the other people, they are their fathers children.

but one issue has been bothering me since following this train of thought, one splintering issue. the only person that i know of in the whole series to be described as looking like their mother is Mimara, and at first that was a hole in my reasoning. Then it hit me! Mimara does not look like Esmenet, she looks like Esmenet's father. Mimara is not just Esmenet's daughter she is also her sister, both are of the same father, it was even mentioned early in the series that Esmenet's father forced himself on her, Mimara is the child of rape/incest. This whole time the reason Esmi didn't want to tell Mimara the identity of her father is because it's her grandfather, and that realization would only be further heartbreak for Mimara, and in Mimara's mind another reason why Esmenet sold her, and another crime Mimara can levy on her. Worst if we follow that train Mimara is reenacting that very situation with Acha without even knowing it.       
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:55:51 am by incuroi »

Anwurat

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2017, 03:47:25 pm »
There is talk in earlier books about how "when the seed is strong" the womb acts as a mere vessel. I doubt it applies to everyone, though.

Where is it said that Esmenet's father forced himself on her?

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2017, 06:02:05 pm »
Very Interesting Incuroi. I like where your ideas are going
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2017, 03:37:03 am »
There is talk in earlier books about how "when the seed is strong" the womb acts as a mere vessel. I doubt it applies to everyone, though.

Where is it said that Esmenet's father forced himself on her?

The quote is "the strong seed forces the womb".

I don't recall that line either.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

incuroi

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2017, 05:56:48 am »
it was in the first book i believe and it was mentioned off-hand, though i could be wrong.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2017, 01:29:09 pm »
I mean, they are super sexist, right?  Like, whether there was or was not a weighting in favor of the dad the people of Earwa are gonna believe there is.