Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

Tyrants and Kings by John Marco

(1/2) > >>

Madness:
Anyone sharing the love?

The Grand Design might be one of my favorite fantasy books ever - the first book in the series is also fantastic, though it all suffers in the third volume.

Royce:
A friend of mine threw the Jackal of Nar at me a couple of years ago......but he missed. Should I have caught it? Is it that good? :)

Madness:
Yeah, it's real good. Jackel of Nar is the first, The Grand Design is the second, and The Saints of the Sword the third.

The originality (well, some tropes still play out) of the mashup genres in the trilogy are most excellent.

Jackel of Nar strikes a unique tone directly at the beginning, TGD literally blows the series into "this could be amazing, did that just happen," and then I think Marco choked on the finale... and his writing, in my opinion, (while possibly commercially better now) has gotten progressively worse. It's like he went from an aspiring Bakker to Gemmell, no offense to Gemmell as I grew up reading a lot of his stuff and loving it. Legend might have been one of the first books to have me crying like a baby.

Cüréthañ:
Agree completely.
I believe Marco started trying to write YA fantasy after T&K, but that third volume lost me pretty hard.  Did not check out his follow ups.

Madness:
Yeah.

Lol - like if Bakker had just decided to tank the series at TJE and became commercially successful writing what people wanted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version