Is Mek still in league with the Consult?

• 11 Replies

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:56 pm »
There's a strong possibility that Mek is no longer working directly with the Consult. 

Imagine you're the Consult. You know  the Celmonan prophecy. Then one of your prominent members (Mek) runs into an Anasurimbor wandering the wilderness in a place where men don't really live. Assuming you learn this information, wouldn't you move every asset you have into the Demua mountains to find this dude? 

The fact that this didn't seem to happen suggests  that Mek didn't pass along that intel. Which could just come down to his being Erratic and therefore, unreliable. But it could also indicate some kind of rift.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »
Seems like a Erratic mentality. Pre-empting  the Anasurimbor's return to the Three Seas would more then likely decrease atrocities, rather than increase. After a few thousand years, the Erratics might be getting bored. They would be tenuous allies at best, and I'm sure the Consult is aware of this.

I doubt that there is any official and/or real diplomacy between the Consult and the Nonmen. More like a mutual understanding than anything else. My question would be, why keep them around at all? After they decimated you're entire race and imprisoned you for thousands of years, there is plenty of hate there to want to eradicate them. What's the end game there? Maybe the Consult thinks they need them to defeat Men once and for all? A contingency plan if they can't get the No-God back up and running?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 05:08:56 pm »
Good points as always, Wilshire.  I feel for the Consult as I've a couple of employees who seem to be Erratics. 

As for what's the Consult's end game, I agree with your last suggestion.  There's no reason to take a potential asset out of play until the game is over. 

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 05:20:27 pm »
There's the thing about how prophecies must not be interfered with.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 05:49:50 pm »
There's the thing about how prophecies must not be interfered with.

I thought that Aurang said that all prophecies must be watched? The skin-spy could be considered "interfering" because he saves Mimara from death.

But if they aren't supposed to interfere, then I suppose not killing Kellhus would point to Mek still being in league. I just don't remember that if its true.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:03:46 pm »
He said 'she cannot be harmed' because all prophecies must be 'respected'. Maybe interfere was not the correct word, but I take that to mean that they shouldn't interfere in a way that hinders the prophecy, as in say, harming Mimara or killing her. Which might be Mek's reasoning in letting Kellhus go.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »
Fair enough. Maybe that is why, then, Mek lets Kellhus get away.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:13 pm »
Kind of a tangent, but is it assumed that Aurang is referring to the Celmoman prophecy?  Or it this yet another unknown variable?

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:06:51 pm »
I don't think we know for sure, since he stressed the question of her pregnancy, I assume the prophecy either has something to do with a pregnant woman (separate from the Celmomian prophecy) or that she will give birth to the prophesied Anasurimbor?

Garet Jax

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:46 pm »
Don't want to go far too far off topic, but I always thought her having the judging eye, which includes the pregnancy, was one of the alternate prophecies.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 11:18:51 pm »
Kind of a tangent, but is it assumed that Aurang is referring to the Celmoman prophecy?  Or it this yet another unknown variable?
As you can see, with the first 2 responses, that it is indeed unknown :P

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:58 am »
There's a strong possibility that Mek is no longer working directly with the Consult. 

Imagine you're the Consult. You know  the Celmonan prophecy. Then one of your prominent members (Mek) runs into an Anasurimbor wandering the wilderness in a place where men don't really live. Assuming you learn this information, wouldn't you move every asset you have into the Demua mountains to find this dude? 

The fact that this didn't seem to happen suggests  that Mek didn't pass along that intel. Which could just come down to his being Erratic and therefore, unreliable. But it could also indicate some kind of rift.

i had never thought about this connection!  glad u brought this up, profgrape!  possibilities that spring to mind:

- perhaps Mek was only momentarily lucid when meeting Kellhus? otherwise he's more like Cleric, wandering around not knowing what he knows

(the stark diff between Mek and Cleric does make me wonder if Bakker did make a mistake early on, characterizing Mek as more coherent than Mek ought to be)

- Mek did tell the Consult and the Consult did scour the Demua but were prevented from finding Kellhus because...THE DUNYAIN/CISHAURIM ALLIANCE!!!

- Mek told the Consult and the Consult dismissed him as a shambling wreck with an idiot brain.  "We're supposed to believe this guy" Shae says to Aurax, "dude doesn't even have his book with him."

(Perhaps a dismissal like this could lead to rebellion.  Mek leading the Consult nonmen against Shae and the Clam Twins?  Maybe it already happened and the Great Ordeal will find Mek hanging from the wall of Dagliash, where he's been for the last 20 years, pretty much no more tortured than being a nonman any other way.)

- Mek scours the Demua, captures Kellhus, and a third party later intervenes to cause Kellhus' escape.  Kellhus doesn't mention it to anyone because GODDAMNIT Bakker like to hoard revelations

- Mek has a secret alliance with the Dunyain to the effect that if he ever meets anything labelled 'Anasurimbor' in the wild, Mek is to accost it, blather with it, feign to let it go

(what the hell is a wild Mek doing in the wild anyways?  shouldn't this guy be up at Golgotterath staring into a big pot of guck, mumbling "double, double boil and trouble"?)

however much this mystery weighs on our heads, it SHOULD really bug Kellhus.  there is definitely going to be a 'Kellhus chats with Mek' bit, i'm betting at Dagliash.  they will make snide comments about each other's weight, it'll be like a high school reunion