Bakker's The Second Apocalypse Media Circus

• 31 Replies

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 12:41:51 pm »
I'm probably the wrong person to ask.  I've checked for updates maybe twice a month usually the first thing I do on my commute to work.  This was when there was no news at all.  So basically everything has worked for me since I make it a point to scour the internet for such information.

This is probably why I the most relevant information for me these past few weeks was to realize that there were advance copies floating around the world after reading about the contest... Which naturally made me check Ebay... Which naturally...

On another note, I read Bakker won't do book signings.  Is there no way to get autographed copies any other way? 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 12:52:25 pm »
He isn't doing a signing tour for TGO, and he doesn't do private requests. He does, from time to time, appear publicly and do signings, but they are rare and not generally conveniently located. You'll be hard pressed to get a signature on your own, and there are only a few signed copies floating around ebay. I have no advice, other than, if he's going to be somewhere, we'll be geeking out about it here.

4+ years ago I drove several hours from NY through Canada to some university to hear him do a reading. Afterwards, about 10 of the 30ish people had books for him to sign. That's the last known appearance/signing I've heard of.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 01:03:31 pm »
Lol - I was thinking on the anniversary for TGO we could just rent a hall instead, Wilshire. Same plan, but ship a couple hundred copies of TUC ;).

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse (again), MisterGuyMan :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 02:03:11 pm »
Lol - I was thinking on the anniversary for TGO we could just rent a hall instead, Wilshire. Same plan, but ship a couple hundred copies of TUC ;).

Zaudunyanicon - June 2017? I hope it's within driving distance for me since I'll have so many books I'll want signed at that point.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 02:05:17 pm by Wilshire »

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 02:07:44 pm »
I would love a complete set of signed first editions.  I've jettisoned most of my book collection after switching to Kindle almost exclusively.  I've only kept Song of Ice and Fire books and naturally my Second Apocalypse books.  I don't even know what to do with the ASOIAF books since the first editions changed style midway and they now look weird together.  Plus I think the HBO series is becoming the definitive edition anyway.

Contrast to that my love for Second Apocalypse keeps growing.  I'm looking through all the art trying to see if there's a way to make a custom Khellus figure somehow at the moment.  Signed books would make a display like that complete.

Does Bakker still frequent the boards?  Maybe we can kickstarter this hall rental idea. 

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:31 pm »
Zaudunyanicon - June 2017? I hope it's within driving distance for me since I'll have so many books I'll want signed at that point.

I figure there are halls in Ohio. Hell, I'll bet ya one of those golf clubs GJ and I want to go to must do catering ;).

Does Bakker still frequent the boards?  Maybe we can kickstarter this hall rental idea. 

Bakker has never frequented this board - though, I'm hoping he will in the future because we're obviously the best board ;). I mean, Three-Seas only exists as a Zombie now and Westeros is a board for GRRM...

And I think Bakker fans can come together and have transparent accounting without the need for kickstarter... but I don't know - people seem to find comfort in kickstarters, etc. I just abhor handing something like a third of the collected money to the middle man.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 01:57:33 am »
Didn't know where to post this, figured here was as good as I was going to find. I read somewhere that Bakker has lost his editor with Overlook. Will this effect the publishing date for TGO? I imagine she couldn't handle the atrocities we find so delightful, or something like that, lol. Or, was she a feminist? Come on, I want theories, speculation and whatever answers you've got!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 11:53:24 am »
He lost his editor(s) last year, this year (ie most recently) was his publicist. I'm guessing it won't have much of an effect.

Nil Sertrax

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 12:52:41 pm »
I was a member of a board that was dedicated to the writings of Steve Donaldson (Thomas Covenant series).  Although I didn't end up attending, a group of members (probably 10 or 20 people) from that board set up a meeting in New Mexico (Where Donaldson resides) with Donaldson near where he lived.  They essentially just made reservations at a local bar/restaurant and Donaldson was kind enough and cool enough to agree to come and have some food, beers and conversation with a few of his most dedicated fans.  This was in 2002 I think. 

Bakker seems like an easy going guy.  Why not see if he would be interested in grabbing beers and food with some of his fans at a local eatery in London, Ontario or some other place of his choosing?  Who turns down free beer?!?!   

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 12:56:38 pm »
True, and given favorable exchange rates from USD to CND, it would be cheaper for any of us in the US. Perhaps as the release of TUC draws closer, we will figure something out.

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 01:07:58 pm »
Where does Bakker live?  The Unholy Consult release was, last I heard, aiming for a year end 2016 date.  That would be a good time to set something like this.  End of the middle series and gives a little time to plan it out.  How do we contact him?

BakkerCon! 

Didn't know where to post this, figured here was as good as I was going to find. I read somewhere that Bakker has lost his editor with Overlook. Will this effect the publishing date for TGO? I imagine she couldn't handle the atrocities we find so delightful, or something like that, lol. Or, was she a feminist? Come on, I want theories, speculation and whatever answers you've got!
Not a problem.  I can edit all his future books.  Pro Bono even.  I'd even go above and beyond and peek into his notes for the final trilogy. 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 01:19:49 pm »
Where does Bakker live?  The Unholy Consult release was, last I heard, aiming for a year end 2016 date.  That would be a good time to set something like this.  End of the middle series and gives a little time to plan it out. 

TUC release is supposed to be about 1 year from the release of TGO, so the current best guess would be July 2017.

How do we contact him?

There is a contact page on his rscottbakker.com website (I've never had any luck with that), and there is always open comments on his blog Three Pound Brain (which is hit or miss, but sometimes he does respond to random things).

I once tried to look him up in the canadian yellowpages equivalent, but to no avail. I was driving through the area and wanted to stop by :P.

BakkerCon!

No no, its Zaudunyanicon :) . It was dubbed thusly a few years ago.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:25:59 pm by Wilshire »

Nil Sertrax

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »
If only we knew someone who could get in touch with Bakker and get his thoughts on the possibility! 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 01:57:12 pm »
If only we knew someone who could get in touch with Bakker and get his thoughts on the possibility! 

Maybe when TUC approaches, or sometime after. I imagine its going to be a busy year for Bakker.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 02:53:03 pm »
We should just turn up at his house, Madness knows where it is.