Mimara's Skin-spy

• 34 Replies

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 09:06:53 am »
Is Sarl the thing's handler?  Did Sarl kill it to protect the handler's identity?  Quite convenient! I know there's someone, someone who loves to use ignorance as a tool and wants to keep Mimara and Akka in the dark...

That's what I proposed sometime ago in another thread - that Kellhus's agent, who appears in the prologue to TJE, is really Sarl.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 11:02:44 am »
Don't know if he is Traveller, his place in the Skin Eaters seems well established in TJE.  But props for calling it if turns out to be the case that he is one of the apparati.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 04:12:16 pm »
Is Sarl the thing's handler?  Did Sarl kill it to protect the handler's identity?  Quite convenient! I know there's someone, someone who loves to use ignorance as a tool and wants to keep Mimara and Akka in the dark...

That's what I proposed sometime ago in another thread - that Kellhus's agent, who appears in the prologue to TJE, is really Sarl.

Nice!  If Sarl is the handler, is he working for Kellhus, the Consult, the Dunyain, whooooo?  I guess he could just be another skin spy and was keeping one agent from spilling his secrets.  Tsuor may have gone off script and Sarl was doing damage control.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »
I don't think Sarl is much more than he appears...a crazed Scalper.  I think that at the end of WLW he's possessed by the Captain's soul, which has 'bounced'.  I think his killing the skin spy just when it might have spoken up is just bad fortune.

The skin spy does get orders from the Synthese, right?  I don't think it had a human handler beyond those orders.  Just there to protect Mimara and make sure she fulfills whatever prophecy, false or real, they want to bring about.

Worth considering that the Consult may be fans of Akka right now, if they know of him.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »
@ Walter - rereading that passage, it felt like Mimara was asking the question as if there were more answers than just "a synthese."  Idk, maybe reading too much into it.  But Sarl jumping up at just the right moment...I want Sarl to be a mystery sooo baaad!  Please make him Dunyain!