Earwa > The Almanac: TAE Edition

The Slog WLW - Chapter 6 [Spoilers]

(1/5) > >>

H:
Chapter 6:

--- Quote ---"There is only one way to save yourself," it rasps.
"And how is that?"
"Kill the Captain."
--- End quote ---

Why the Captain?  It has to know what will happen to Cleric should Kosoter die...

--- Quote ---The suspicion that the Consult has sent the skin-spy, not to assassinate Achamian or to sabotage the expedition, no. Her fear is that the Consult has sent it to assist them... to ensure they reach Sauglish and the Coffers.
--- End quote ---

As we'll later see, this seems unlikely...

--- Quote ---"Tell me!" Incariol cries in hushed tones. "Tell me why I am here!"
A moment of glaring impatience. "Because they remind you."
"But who? They remind me of who?" Even as Cleric says this his glittering black eyes wander toward her.
"Someone you once knew," the Captain grates. "They remind you of someone you once—"
--- End quote ---

A glimpse at the role of the elju.

--- Quote ---"Is it true," he inexplicably asks, "that being touched by another and touching oneself are quite distinct sensations for Men?"
The question bewilders and embarrasses her, to the point of drawing even more heat to her flushed face. "Yes... I suppose..."
--- End quote ---

OK, now that is just weird.  For Nonmen there is no difference?

--- Quote ---Then, in the empty interval between breaths, the Judging Eye opens.
For a time she gazes in stupefaction, then she weeps at the transformation.
Her hair cropped penitent short. Her clothing fine, but with the smell of borrowed things. Her belly low and heavy with child...
And a halo about her head, bright and silver and so very holy. The encircling waters darken for its glow.
--- End quote ---

So, she seems herself as essentially divine?  Perhaps this is some foreshadowing?  Or, perhaps, is she divine because the child she caries?

--- Quote ---The Captain, it seemed, was a Believer.
Zaudunyani.
--- End quote ---

There is more to the Captain that we really know.  We always get hints at how he seems more, this is just another,

--- Quote ---"You were to watch him," the bird said, a miniature scowl creasing its expression.
"Things have changed."
Eyes like blue beads closed then opened. "How so?"
The thing called Soma dared raise Mimara's face. "A sorcerer, a Gnostic sorcerer, hired the company several weeks ago... He hopes to find the Coffers."
--- End quote ---

OK, so Aurang says you were to watch him, so it was not sent to watch Mimara, but the Soma-agent says that Akka is unexpected.  Aurang is surprised too.  So, the leaves Cleric and Kosoter.  Since the Soma-agent is trying to get them to kill him though, my guess is it the Captain that Soma was sent to keep an eye on actually.  There is though as plausible a case that it's Cleric, but I am just going on my gut here...

--- Quote ---"No... I'm not sure... He claims to be a Wizard, a sorcerer without a School. Even still, Chigra burns strong in him. Very strong."
--- End quote ---

Interesting that the Soma-agent finds Chigra's presence strong, remarkably strong.  Kind of support, perhaps, that it is indeed Seswatha that is sending Akka the Dreams.

--- Quote ---"Then she cannot be harmed. All the prophecies must be respected, the false as much as the true."
--- End quote ---

The age old question, again.  Where do the Consult get these prophecies?

Blackstone:
You have some really interesting catches here. I'm of the opinion that Soma is watching Cleric. It seems likely that the Consult would want to keep an eye on the last Non-man king.

H:

--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 11, 2016, 02:55:30 pm ---You have some really interesting catches here. I'm of the opinion that Soma is watching Cleric. It seems likely that the Consult would want to keep an eye on the last Non-man king.
--- End quote ---

I was thinking the same thing initially, but then why does he suggest killing Kosoter?

There is the possibility that the Soma-agent knows full-well that none of them could kill Cleric.  What makes little sense though, no matter how you slice it though, is that killing Kosoter means Cleric goes erratic, which probably kills Mimara, which is exactly what the Soma Agent says it is trying to prevent (and does, actually).

Perhaps I am drawing too deep though, perhaps they are just actually worried about Cleric remembering things.  So, by killing Kosoter and removing the elju, there is almost no chance he remembers anything and just keeps wondering.  Perhaps a play to keep him outside Ishterebinth and out of the Consult's hair, so to speak.

Blackstone:

--- Quote from: H on April 11, 2016, 03:12:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 11, 2016, 02:55:30 pm ---You have some really interesting catches here. I'm of the opinion that Soma is watching Cleric. It seems likely that the Consult would want to keep an eye on the last Non-man king.
--- End quote ---

I was thinking the same thing initially, but then why does he suggest killing Kosoter?

There is the possibility that the Soma-agent knows full-well that none of them could kill Cleric.  What makes little sense though, no matter how you slice it though, is that killing Kosoter means Cleric goes erratic, which probably kills Mimara, which is exactly what the Soma Agent says it is trying to prevent (and does, actually).

Perhaps I am drawing too deep though, perhaps they are just actually worried about Cleric remembering things.  So, by killing Kosoter and removing the elju, there is almost no chance he remembers anything and just keeps wondering.  Perhaps a play to keep him outside Ishterebinth and out of the Consult's hair, so to speak.

--- End quote ---
Well, we don't know what actually happens to Cleric should his Elju die. Kellhus kills Mek's in TDTCB, and Mek just says it will be hard to replace. So perhaps if Kosoter were to be killed, Cleric will simply keep forgetting until he has a lucid enough moment to find a new Elju and draft him/her into service.

H:

--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 11, 2016, 03:20:39 pm ---Well, we don't know what actually happens to Cleric should his Elju die. Kellhus kills Mek's in TDTCB, and Mek just says it will be hard to replace. So perhaps if Kosoter were to be killed, Cleric will simply keep forgetting until he has a lucid enough moment to find a new Elju and draft him/her into service.
--- End quote ---

True, there is also the possibility that the Soma-agent is just trying to keep Cleric from reaching Sauglish too.  Perhaps afraid of what he might remember if he makes it there?

The Soma-agent certainly knows that without the Captain, the chances are very much against the Slog making it.  Plus, I am guessing it also knows that Kosoter is a Zaudunyani and I doubt if that doesn't factor in somehow too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version