Cu'jara/Ku'jara?

• 14 Replies

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:56:12 pm »
Why, in the Appendix listing for Ishterebinth, is Cu'jara Cinmoi's name spelled Ku'jara Kinmoi?

Q
WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:02:30 pm »
Why, in the Appendix listing for Ishterebinth, is Cu'jara Cinmoi's name spelled Ku'jara Kinmoi?

Q

You know, reasons.  Or raysons.  Or raisonnes.
No whistling on the slog!

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:54 pm »

Q

You know, reasons.  Or raysons.  Or raisonnes.

Actually, it's raisins.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:08:02 pm »

Q

It's either a mistake or an alternate spelling like Celmomas/Kelmomas. "Nau-Cayûti" is also spelled as "Nau-Kayûti" at one point.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:14:46 pm »
I liked my answer better, but you should probably listen to ThoughtsOfThelli.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:03 pm »
I liked my answer better, but you should probably listen to ThoughtsOfThelli.

Well, the "raisins" idea had merit. ;)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:42:48 am »
Because the EG is intended to be an in-universe artefact, the work of Earwan scholars.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

fecklessfool

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:19:59 am »
Because the EG is intended to be an in-universe artefact, the work of Earwan scholars.

well i guess the 2nd apocalypse will be averted because for the contents of the EG to have been written, it would have been after the 2nd apocalypse in order for the writers to know about resumption and other stuff

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:56 am »
well i guess the 2nd apocalypse will be averted because for the contents of the EG to have been written, it would have been after the 2nd apocalypse in order for the writers to know about resumption and other stuff
A point I have made before. Although I think 'averted' is too strong a term. The chroniclers writing the EG might simply be members of the 144,000...

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:09:14 am »
A point is made that most scholars transliterate names into Sheyic, thus leaving giving us both the original spellilng and names and the Sheyic spellings.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:07:40 pm »
A point is made that most scholars transliterate names into Sheyic, thus leaving giving us both the original spellilng and names and the Sheyic spellings.

And isn't the introduction to both Glossary explicit that these are the names as Drusas Achamian knew them (badly paraphrasing)?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 08:18:49 pm »
And isn't the introduction to both Glossary explicit that these are the names as Drusas Achamian knew them (badly paraphrasing)?

I think so, yes.

Though I don't remember as many cases of variant spellings with Cs and Ks being used in the TTT glossary...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 10:48:54 am »
It's really just a revision error.  I recall Bakker having said that at some point, he changed many things from having K's to C's.

At one point in the books Nil'giccas is spelled Nil'gikkas, but just for one paragraph.

But it's fine to write them off as another case of "unreliable glossary," because it is after all.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 03:27:27 pm »
It's probably also a product of the way Bakker has spent so damn long working on this stuff. I have notes going back over twenty years about my own created worlds (mostly settings for various RPG games I've GMed, but also background for my Warhammer and 40K armies, aborted novels and various short fiction pieces in various stages of deshabille), and there are several characters and locations with half a dozen or so variant spellings each, or even completely different names for what's clearly meant to be the same person or place, wildly inconsistent dating systems (one particular world has two timelines - one a couple of thousand years long, the other with pretty much the exact same history spread over tens of thousands of years). Any fictional setting it takes an author more than a few years to construct is going to be a frankly insane mess, is what I'm saying. Bakker has done a fantastic job of keeping it all as consistent as he has, I think.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »

To paraphrase Kick Ass... Didn't you ever see American Beauty?
You are the fist that beats us.