I've (almost) completed all mainline Metal Gear Solid games before MGSV launches

• 7 Replies

Francis Buck

« on: July 17, 2015, 08:30:04 pm »
...is it worth it? Would they still be enjoyable even with modern sensibilities (and especially for someone who has never played them before)?

I've always been interested in the story/aesthetic and such, but when I was younger I could never get into them. About a year ago I played through MGS4, which I enjoyed, although I hit a particular roadblock (the noir-style tailing mission) that infuriated me to the point of giving up.

However, I've been anticipating the new game, The Phantom Pain, and after picking up MGS5: Ground Zeroes about a week ago, I am absolutely ADDICTED to it. It's basically a glorified demo, but it's a hell of a lot of fun and there are just so many options for every scenario.

So yeah, with all that in mind, does anyone here experienced in the older games think they'd be enjoyable to a newcomer? I think I'm most interested in Snake Eater.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:58:46 pm by Francis Buck »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:40:52 pm »
I won't be any help but I'll post anyway.

Honestly if you like MGS and/or stealth games, I say go for it. You can probably play the older ones for free on an emulator, and anything more recent on the cheap.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:02:16 pm »
I think they're absolutely playable. The only clunky part might be the aiming and shooting. Combat is not the point of the games but there are certain moments, particularly boss battles, where you'll have to pull the trigger and it can be a little awkward at times. The games have fixed camera angles rather than free rotating camera like MGS4 and Ground Zeroes, so you have to rely a little on the auto aim hitting your target (which it won't always do). But you should definitely jump in if you like the series, there's nothing else like it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 04:18:44 am »
My favorite all time video game series. And thankfully you can play MGS1 with updated graphics now.

However, if that particular mission in MGS4 frustrated you, these games might not be for you. You can literally set the difficulty so that any time a guard even sees you in any of the games - barring action sequences - you get a game over.

If I could type more at length about this I would. MGS definitely helped hone my patience in life. And the story is just so good...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 06:33:35 pm »
I'm definitely going to replay MGS4, and I'll likely give the others a shot. The only reason I'm hesitant on the earlier ones is because I think the reason I like GZ so much are how great it controls and the general mechanics, which seem relatively similar to MGS4. I managed to get an S rank on Hard (without reflex mode!) on one of the missions in GZ, so it may be that it took this particular game for the whole thing to finally "click", I don't know.

That one mission in MGS4 really pissed me off though. Even then, I don't remember feeling like I was really meshing with the intended gameplay back then -- most of the missions turned into a giant clusterfuck for me.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:24:02 pm »
MSG1 is the only one I really played.

Have to say I have really fond memories of it, a remastered version would hold up well IMO (at least in terms of playability)

I tend to play a lot of emulated turn based RPGs on my phone nowadays.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:42:49 pm by SilentRoamer »

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:25:16 pm »
The MGS HD Collection (MGS 2, MGS 3 and MGS: Peace Walker) from a few years ago holds up quite well, I think.  The stories are batshit crazy but occasionally brilliant and it really did launch an entire genre of game.

As FB wrote above, the original is playable but honestly, feels pretty clunky.  I'd suggest trying to play MGS: Twin Snakes, the remaster for Gamecube.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:31:16 pm by profgrape »

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:33:10 pm »
Anyone end up picking up Phantom Pain? I finished it this weekend and saw the real ending although I still have some side story sequences to get.

It's really good but very different than the original trilogy. More like a cross between MGS4 and MGS Peace Walker.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk