What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:10 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, Ajokli.

We should just co-opt popular movie titles.

The Sum of All Reason. Planet of the Dunyain. Seven Years in Ishterebinth.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:15 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Saurons Story: The early years

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:20 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
Sounds good to me, Madness

I am still eagerly awaiting someone to create a thread titled:

'Team Serwe vs Team Esme'

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:25 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lol. Team Esme.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:29 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
I sold PoN to friend with "an ancient cabal of sorcerers relives the world's apocalypse every night to stop a race of rape aliens from resurrecting pretty much nihilism itself"

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:34 pm »
I wonder if Serwe would have had a whole bunch of people executed as a surrogate, if she had gotten to power?

She's not my favorite. But still...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:38 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
new 'selling' way of describing the series:

The Prince of Nothing reinterprets the First Crusade through a Game of Thrones-esque lens.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:43 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
PON is like the Twilight saga, the female lead is torn between two equally suitable gentleman whilst fighting to save the world from an evil vampire-like race.

PON is like Harry Potter, the main character is a wizard that is fighting a race of things like voldemort to save the world from their evil reign.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »
Quote from: SATXZ
Wtf... Some of y'all have a huge crush on Bakker.  Full on man love.

The series directly follows the historical first crusade for three books, then its swarming with hordes of ravenous rape-monkey-werewolves (orcs) for the next three.
Then every single character its a huge whiny baby. Except kellus, who its super man and can make every person in the world cry.  Then that person does his bidding.
The philosophical fluff, heard it all a thousand times before.

Anyway, its really tough to get normal people to read a book where a main character regularly rapes people, and chops up their children.  Its even harder to get people not to judge you for reading a series where the bad guys stab rape holes into women and children as an interrogation method.

Me, I like this series. I do wish he would stick to a great story instead of rambling on for fifty pages about mimara/esmi's

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:53 pm »
Anyway, its really tough to get normal people to read a book where a main character regularly rapes people, and chops up their children.

dude what have you been reading

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:57 pm »
Anyway, its really tough to get normal people to read a book where a main character regularly rapes people, and chops up their children.

dude what have you been reading
Cnaiur kills a chieftains child after the scylvendi defeat. Then he throws the dead kids fingers and toes at the chieftains tent to goad him out, then murders the guy after killing his wives and kids in front of him.  Also cnaiur rapes allot of people, also one of them a dude.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2013, 08:44:01 pm »
except the reader is never meant to relate with cnaiur, or rather with anyone other character besides maybe akka. these were not characters written to fill up tumblrs or deviantart pages. sure, readers will relate to akka's self-doubt, esmi fearing for the safety of her children, cnauir's struggle with his demons, etc. but essentially they are all broken human beings. if you honestly think these books were written to attract pudgy greaseball nerds fist-pumping every time they read  "peach" then I don't know what to tell you. earwa is the gym where Bakker's philosophy of life goes to workout. no shit things are gonna get messy.

depiction of horrific acts is not endorsement of the same. there is absolutely nothing difficult about this to understand about this. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you you're a prude for not liking the inchoroi and what they do, but I do give Bakker the benefit of the doubt because he has some very interesting ideas.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »
I think SATXZ is saying it's hard to sell it to others - the 'you're a prude' argument aught to be aimed at them. For myself, I think the books are a hard sell in that it's more like trying to sell an educative text book - they are mostly educational. When I've thought about it, I've had trouble identifying anything, even small elements, in the books which is ever pure entertainment.

Personally I think all the characters can be related with - to a degree. Even as they also do horrible things. That's part of the gym - that, I think the books present character elements you can relate to, even as also part of the character is also horrific acts. I mean, Akka does kill a rather large number of people (and I'm talking Conpha's army, not even latter book stuff), cutting them up into little cubes.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2013, 08:44:10 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
I just can't recommend it unless the person I'm talking to is what I would class as an advanced reader. 
Pretty much for the same reasons SATXZ outlines above.

Chapter one; child gets orphaned, then raped, then murders the dude who bummed him.
Someone who thought Harry Potter was pretty edgy and hard done by 'cause he was forced to have a cupboard as a bedroom is probably gunna struggle right there.