• Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Uncle Holy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2015, 10:10:12 pm »
I have only one guy in mind for Kellhus: Wentworth Miller.

Make him blond and you have our Emperor...

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2015, 12:11:26 pm »
Affleck doesn't have the right gravitas for the role, IMO.

The perfect casting would be a young Rutger Hauer, as he appeared in Blade Runner. Out of actors today, I dunno...probably Fassbender, he's got that eugenic ubermensch look that the Dunyain need.

The Dunyain really are a species apart from baseline humans, and the casting should show that. They're superior in every way, to the point of being inhuman, a bit like Tolkien's Elves or the androids in Blade Runner.

Francis Buck

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2015, 07:30:34 pm »
Fassbender's been my dream-casting of Kellhus since I first saw someone mention it.

I think Tom Hardy could be a good Saubon as well...maybe even Cnaiur? I'm not sure. Cnaiur for me is the hardest to cast. A lot of people mention Mads Mikkleson (who I think is an amazing actor), but he never really fit for me. Cnaiur's one of the few characters where I feel like the physicality is absolutely essential. Tom Hardy in Bronson -- despite being a wildly different type of character -- is what made the connection there for me. Hardy's pulled off that same kind of hulking menace in The Dark Knight Rises and Warrior, so it almost a bit obvious.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2015, 12:36:44 pm »
Fassbender's been my dream-casting of Kellhus since I first saw someone mention it.

This is far back as we go
Quote from: Auriga
Just a few random comments:

Quote from: lockesnow
Kellhus I've kinda got Michael Fassbender in mind, but moreso.

Moved here from v1, an undated quote quoting an undated quote. No one can ever know how long ago it was that locke originally suggested Fassbender.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2015, 12:26:44 am »
Heh, I'm pretty sure that was the first mention...at the very least I believe it was the first time I personally heard the idea. Props to Locke.

So in my continuous boredom of being without a vehicle/work duty this week, I made a quick-list of my current fantasy of the main cast:

Kellhus -- Michael Fassbender (obviously)

Achamian -- Ray Winstone (still my personal fave, though I do like earlier mentions of Gary Oldman)

Cnaiur -- Tom Hardy (this particular image sold me; if he's bulked up Bane/Bronson style...I can see it)

Esmenet -- Paula Patton (she's been my go-to Esmi mental impression for a while now)

Proyas -- Dominic Cooper (he's got that youthful -- but still potentially stern/dangerous -- look that I think is needed for the character)

Serwe -- Kristen Bell (for me, Serwe needs to be a natural beauty with just the faintest hint of "strange" thrown in -- an ethereal quality)

Conphas -- Oscar Isaac (dude totally has that vaguely arrogant handsomeness to his appearance that seems perfect)

Saubon -- Ryan Gosling (weirdly, Gosling was the image I'd initially conjured when reading Conphas, though that has changed over time)

Maithanet -- Javier Bardem (though honestly, I can imagine a ton of different actors for Maitha...and a ton of different roles for Bardem)

Sarcellus -- Jon Hamm (someone mentioned it here before, I know, and it has always stuck for me)

Fanayal -- Oded Fehr (he just has the rouge-ish badass look to him)

Aurang -- Mark Strong (in his illusory human form)

To be clear, these are largely just approximate representations of my own mental image of the characters. Aside from a few instances (Fassbender for Kellhus, Winstone/Oldman for Akka, Patton for Esmi, Cooper for Proyas, and Hardy for Cnaiur), I'd probably end up seeking largely unknown actors for most roles.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2015, 01:37:31 pm »
I like Jason Momoa as Cnaiur.

Hard though as he has played Drogo in ASOIAF recently and also Conan - well he has the barbarian chops at least!

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2015, 07:52:34 pm »
M. Fassbender is a good choice for Kel. Plus i like anyone who's name is a spoonerism.
WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2015, 09:02:46 pm »
I like your choices, Francis.

I also picked Fassbender for Kellhus - the guy is a human chameleon, and there's something slightly eerie about those Ken-Doll features and perfect white teeth, almost too good-looking and symmetrical. Casting Fassbender as the android in "Prometheus" was a stroke of genius, and that's pretty much how I imagined Kellhus.

I agree that Oscar Isaac would be a really good Conphas, he has those classical looks and that smug shit-eating smirk down perfectly. He looks even more smug without the beard:

Serwë...no one really comes to mind here, although your choice of actor was a bit too mannish-looking. Serwë's main traits in the books are vulnerability and childlike weakness, so the actor should look the part. Not sure who looks both childlike and classically beautiful, while also having a slightly "weird" face. The girl who played Stephen Hawking's sister, maybe:

The Captain is definitely a Viggo Mortensen role. He needs actor who can look convincingly brutal and hardened. A man of violence, with a hollow thousand-yard stare that has seen countless murders. At the same time, he's a leader of men and a hero figure (very much a Classical Hero, not anything we moderns would call a hero), so his actor should convey that "heroic sociopath" look:

Aurang: in his human disguise, he'd have to be a bald guy with a disturbing look to him. French director Gaspar Noé is actually who I'd cast as Aurang in human shape - I've met the guy in real life and he's a really brilliant director (one of my personal favorites) and all-around fascinating person, but damn if he doesn't look like he belongs on some sex-offender list:

(The face of extraterrestial anal rape)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:33:25 pm by Auriga »

Francis Buck

« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2015, 03:54:56 am »
Good choices there, I was actually trying to think of someone for the Captain but nothing came to mind. Viggo totally works though (I could also see Viggo as Shauriatas, or even Seswatha -- as you said, he has that sort of hard, world-weary look, and can also come off as both wise and tough). Serwe was difficult as I don't really know of anyone that actually matches my mental image, but I could see the actress you mentioned working. However, one idea I've considered particularly after seeing her recently in Martha Marcy May Marlene (great little movie) is Elizabeth Olsen:

Also, that's fucking awesome that you got to meet Gaspar Noe! I think he's an amazing filmmaker and definitely one of the bolder and more ambitious directors working today (feels like it's been forever since his last flick though). He seems like he'd be super interesting to have a conversation with. 

ETA: On second thought, I could actually see Mark Strong as Cleric. I mean yeah, it's partially because he's bald, but he his facial structure has a lot of gravitas to it then lends itself well to the bald look, not to mention he has a great voice and could straddle that line between being menacing and almost antagonistic, but also sort of....I'm not sure, "noble" or something.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:07:51 am by Francis Buck »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2016, 04:32:26 pm »

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2016, 04:45:36 pm »
Not a film but:

https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/still-idiosyncratic-yet-verging-on-mainstream/

TV rights, apparently.
IT IS HAPPENING.I really hope it does happen.Also if the show was successful then we are gonna probably see TAE and TSTSNBN also on TV.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2016, 11:38:22 pm »
New thread- tv adaptation?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:36 pm »
New thread- tv adaptation?

Good call.

Continue the conversation about PoN: TV here: http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=2035.msg30074#msg30074
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:44:11 pm by Wilshire »

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2016, 08:29:46 am »
If you could make Powers Booth get in really awesome shape, he'd be a great Cnaiur. One of those actors that can be simultaneously hugely physically intimidating and cerebral, all at the same time.