Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

• 198 Replies

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:42 am »
Cool, thanks for the input dudes. I think I will get a paper copy (stunned silence) of the first one at some point and just slog through it since I've heard a lot about how the pay-off is strong (endings make or break most stories IMO so it's likely worth it in my case) and I am highly intrigued by the worldbuilding, and also the fact that Erickson is an anthropologist -- correct me if I'm wrong -- and a world designed by someone in that field is a prospect that sounds very promising. And for some reason, I have a higher likelihood of finishing physical books it seems, or at least ones that aren't grabbing me by the balls anyhow. 

FWIW, audiobooks are a terrible idea in this case. There is too much information and too many people to keep track of. Listening to Malazan detracts from the overall experience. Keep in mind, I love audiobooks, but sometimes the narrators and the books themselves don't work in audio format.

Yeah I'm quite new to the audiobook thing (dunno why I waited so long) but I'm interested in trying out some good fantasy or sci-fi with strong narration. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:02:54 am by Athorn "FB" Gallizur »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2018, 01:52:21 pm »
Abercromie's The First Law trilogy ready by Steven Pacey is superb. IMO, the best audiobook recording I've ever heard - by far.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Blade-Itself-Audiobook/B014LL6R5U?ref=a_a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=e81b7c27-6880-467a-b5a7-13cef5d729fe&pf_rd_r=YXVFG25CTWWKFT2VFR10&

Nothing out really stands out in my mind quit like those. I'm now to a point where I definitely recognize voices, but I don't typically look up names.

Spoilers to save space:
(click to show/hide)

Typically audiobooks where Authors read their own stuff tend to be mediocre. They don't tend to do a great job - they are writers afterall, not voice actors lol. As long as you're not expecting an amazing performance, it can be fun to hear the author read. Neuromancer has an edition like this.

Malazan, which I listened to all of them (except DG and MOI which I read), is not a good series for audiobooks. The reader(s) did a good job but the books are too complex for it.

One last thing I'll mention is that I like to listen to most books at 1.5x or even 2x speed, especially is the reader is very slow (like Scott Brick) and otherwise doing a mediocre job. Because of this, I don't like the audible app because it tends to Micky Mouse the voices when you speed it up. So I use a third party audiobook player because it handles speeding up better.

Really there's little you can do but check to see if the book you want to read is on audio and listen to it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2018, 02:11:29 am »
So...

If I were to be having a recorded conversation with Erikson, what would SA Malazan fans like to hear him speak on ;)?

Erikson's marketer isn't "releasing" this until tomorrow on his official author facebook page but I needed to link it on Malazan Empire regardless so that there was a notes thread: Fireside Conversations with Steven Erikson/Notes.

Thought I'd share with the Bakker/Malazan fans here.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2018, 06:49:08 pm »
So...

If I were to be having a recorded conversation with Erikson, what would SA Malazan fans like to hear him speak on ;)?

Erikson's marketer isn't "releasing" this until tomorrow on his official author facebook page but I needed to link it on Malazan Empire regardless so that there was a notes thread: Fireside Conversations with Steven Erikson/Notes.

Thought I'd share with the Bakker/Malazan fans here.
Thanks Madness, added to the queue!

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2018, 11:18:36 pm »
No problem, hope you enjoy.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2018, 01:58:54 pm »
Figured this the best place to post this. But, Erikson has just released a new sci-fi novel Rejoice, a Knife to the Heart.

Here's the link, http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/09/rejoice-knife-to-heart-by-steven-erikson.html

ETA: not released, will be in October.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2018, 02:26:05 pm »
Sounds very interesting. I liked Malazan quite a bit, I hope he's able to pivot to other series successfully. Specifically, jumping from fantasy to scifi, as I hope Bakker does this as well, and a successful Erikson might pave the way.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:35 pm »
Yeah now i've been introduced to some really good books in the Sci-fi genre on here i;ll be picking it up as well.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:54 am »
Having interviewed Erikson and talked about it and listened to his Books and More with Lenore podcast about Rejoice, I'm actually really looking forward to reading it.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2018, 09:26:29 pm »
A new Steven Erikson novel is out in hardcover. "Rejoice, A Knife In The Heart", a first-contact story. Looks interesting.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2018, 09:35:11 pm »
A new Steven Erikson novel is out in hardcover. "Rejoice, A Knife In The Heart", a first-contact story. Looks interesting.
I went to a signing here London, UK when it came out a few weeks back.
Then quickly read it. I liked it a lot. It's not Malazan, it's not willfull child, but its own thing.
It's sci-fi set in today's world, not decades down the line, and that made me care more, I think.
The contemporary criticism is not subtle, but that doesn't make it less relevant.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2018, 12:52:10 am »
Still haven't got to this, but I need to.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2018, 03:47:59 am »
Still haven't got to this, but I need to.

At least it's not 3.5 million freaking words...  ;)
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2018, 06:01:52 am »
Quote from:  BFK
At least it's not 3.5 million freaking words...

Sir, I've read those 3.5 million words. And, I can honestly say it was worth it. But yeah, at least not that huge of an investment.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2018, 01:06:36 pm »
Rejoice is on my shortlist. Hoping for it to be one of my last books this year.

I went to a signing here London, UK when it came out a few weeks back.
Then quickly read it. I liked it a lot. It's not Malazan, it's not willfull child, but its own thing.
It's sci-fi set in today's world, not decades down the line, and that made me care more, I think.
The contemporary criticism is not subtle, but that doesn't make it less relevant.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Jealous. I purchased one signed from Goldsboro - not the same as getting it signed though. Will probably sell it later.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:12:14 pm by Wilshire »