Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

• 198 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:23 pm »
I like Karsa precisely for being a cliché or archetypal barbarian without further pretensions.

lol well there you go, same data opposite conclusion. Honestly, I love the first few pages of HoC where you get Karsa as a singular PoV, but for me it was all downhill after that (regarding Karsa). Btw, why is he so powerful, is it just because hes part Jag or something? Or does being the ... knight of chains? ... imbue him with something godtouched?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2017, 05:55:58 pm »
Don't know. The question of ascendancy is a little confusing to me.

Obviously I prefer a solid barbarian character like Cnaiur, but I find Karsa very amusing.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2017, 06:55:53 pm »
I need to get back to this series. Fell off for reasons I can't recall years back. My lack of free time will likely make that sad fact permanent, though.
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2017, 07:23:09 pm »
Welcome! Hey, if you don't think you have time for the original series, Esselmont's Dancer's Lament is crazy good. First in a series telling the origins of the Malazan Empire. Good shit.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2017, 07:32:04 pm »
I read "The return of the Crimson Guard" and "Night of Knives" some time ago and they were just ok for my taste (I mean, they have good things but overall were poorer written than Erikson's books), so given that and also because I was really tired of Malaz, I stopped to read the other books of Esslemont, but if "Dancer's Lament" is as good as you say I will go for it sooner than I have planned.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:22 pm »
I only read a couple of Esslemont's Malazan novels also, for your exact reasons. But, I couldn't pass up the origins of Dancer and Kellanved. His writing is alot better in this book and the story is great and has you itching for more.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2017, 08:00:35 pm »
Say no more, I'm in.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2017, 08:18:35 pm »
Has anyone tried the Kharkhanas Trilogy? I never delved into it yet because of the mixed reviews. Seems to be Erikson's philosophical wank session. If not, then I'd give it a go. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2017, 08:32:34 pm »
I tried the first, but I'm stuck in the chapter 3.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2017, 03:47:29 pm »
It is a pile of philosophical wank. I loved it.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2017, 10:06:48 pm »
I like Karsa precisely for being a cliché or archetypal barbarian without further pretensions.

lol well there you go, same data opposite conclusion. Honestly, I love the first few pages of HoC where you get Karsa as a singular PoV, but for me it was all downhill after that (regarding Karsa). Btw, why is he so powerful, is it just because hes part Jag or something? Or does being the ... knight of chains? ... imbue him with something godtouched?

He's some sort of throwback, imbued with "anti-magic" like his ancient ancestors. Been a while since i read it, but i think he's teblor who used to be Tholomen Toblakai or something, and some of them were warrens unto themselves.

went and found the quote, been too long since i read bonehunters.

"Among the ancient Toblakai ... according to our own histories ... there could arise individuals, warriors, who became something of a warren unto themselves. Such power varies in its efficacy, and it would appear that this sort of blood talent was waning in the last generations of the Toblakai civilization, growing ever weaker."

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »
I read the first of the Kharkhanas Trilogy, was alright, will re-read the first one when i get round to finishing the series.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2017, 04:45:26 pm »
I liked the first one a lot...a LOT.

I had a really hard time getting into the second book (the current one atm). But it gets better and better. I am 100 pages before the end. And i can tell you, if you are a fan of philosophical fantasy (and if you really are a fan of TSA, then you are) you need to read it.
To be honest, as far as non-artificial (as in made-up) depth and real world applicability and examination goes...this trumps Scott's philosophy (TSA philosophy, that is), sorry to say (even if Erikson is not a scholar of philosophy). So much more...punch in it (and as said, applicability).
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2017, 12:10:30 am »
Anyone who has read Forge of Darkness. I want to know go the Jaghut Prince of Hate is. I don't care about spoilers. Its not Good, he's been named. K'rul is my guess.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2017, 02:39:36 pm »
Half way through Fall of Light and I'm really liking it. @Redeagl I've come across a few of those scenes so far and they are great. Still, too much inner dialogue that I could care less for. No wonder it's over a 1000 pages.