Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:18:23 am »
AKA, favorite scenes/moments

TUC is filled with so many moments, standing on the shoulders of 6 books worth of history and revelations, for many of us over a decade of real time waiting. Moments that may appear to the laymen as just another line, but to you, they don't so much astound as cut to the core - the visceral quick.

What really hit you right in the feels?

Way at the start, there's a simple line that gave me chills:
"You"
Esmenet says this to Kelmomas. A moment, her world crashing around her, where she realizes the last safe harbor in her life has been an illusion. So much is packed into those three italicized letters that, frankly, where they layed out with more verbiage might have lost their impact. The reader is forced to feel what Esmi feels, think what she must think, to unpack the word.
So easy to miss moments like this if you read it too fast ;) .

Anyone else?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »
Lol, I got to get reading so I'm quoting the right portions.

I really liked that one as well. Kelmomas done Esmenet wrong and she finally gets to vent her wrath on the person who deserves it most.

But you know me. Lots of them!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »
I really like the whole section with Agongora and the Furnace Plain, it was really immersive and I could almost feel this fever-dream like state of looking out across a lifeless desert to two Alien horns of ancient malignant gold, nearing the end of a long journey to the end of the world. That was really magical to me. Other than that I also really liked the ending where Kellhus floats down "victoriously" and then there's that thing about "a different World on a different day" which I've seen some people here call wave function collapse, and it also just felt so magical. Despite rooting for The Consult (Shaeönanra did nothing wrong) I felt quite moved when we learn that Kellhus actually died.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:55:00 pm »
I really like the whole section with Agongora and the Furnace Plain, it was really immersive and I could almost feel this fever-dream like state of looking out across a lifeless desert to two Alien horns of ancient malignant gold, nearing the end of a long journey to the end of the world. That was really magical to me.
This. Also, the image of the Whirlwind walking in the night while the Horde 2.0 are feeding of the Ordealsmen corpses. And Golgotterath in the back with only one horn....*shivers*.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Dunkelheit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
At the end of TTT when Akka goes to get his wife, and everybody just stands there listening, watching. When he says something along the lines of :
"I denounce my wife! As an adulteress! And as a... as a..."

Whore.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:41:25 pm »
The point where Kellhus says to Proyas "What have you done?", almost made me queasy for a second.   For whatever reason, I *never* expected that to happen (although in retrospect, it made perfect sense).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 11:37:44 am »
At the end of TTT when Akka goes to get his wife, and everybody just stands there listening, watching. When he says something along the lines of :
"I denounce my wife! As an adulteress! And as a... as a..."

Whore.
This is probably one of my favorite scenes in the series, though I was just asking about TUC ;) .

The point where Kellhus says to Proyas "What have you done?", almost made me queasy for a second.   For whatever reason, I *never* expected that to happen (although in retrospect, it made perfect sense).
Agreed. This is an extreme moment of clarity for me and very emotional: holy shit, Kellhus is the worst thing ever.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »

Same for me. I could guess what was happening next. The whole Proyas thing bothered me while reading it, even if Proyas viewed from another angle would be such a terrible person.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:39:35 pm »
+1

Other moment: when we know that the Dunyain are the new Consult.
It was a possibility since the conversation between Kellhus and Moë (at TTT), but when it becomes real it's shocking.  :o
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:54:45 pm »
Akka looking out over the Field Appalling to see Golgotterath falling was awesome.  His divided lives joined together in one primal moment of vindication...before all the wheels fell off.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:24 pm »
I'm just on Chapter Four of the canon version now so that Kellhus return and Proyas' Judas moment is coming up but that was definitely a world-on-tilt moment for me first time through.

Akka looking out over the Field Appalling to see Golgotterath falling was awesome.  His divided lives joined together in one primal moment of vindication...before all the wheels fell off.

"I need to see!"
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:12:24 pm »
Proyas leading the Horde against the survivors of Dagliash was another amazing moment.  The men who lived through Hell itself, who no Sranc could touch...are butchered by the Great Ordeal.  "Great beasts come to put an end to their lessers" - indeed!  Plenty of tracks in the snow here!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 08:02:53 pm »
"Great beasts come to put an end to their lessers" - indeed!  Plenty of tracks in the snow here!

Indeed 8).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:00 pm »
The last chapter, and in particular the final line of the book left me numb.  Seriously, it took me about an hour and a half to get over it. :(
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »
The last chapter, and in particular the final line of the book left me numb.  Seriously, it took me about an hour and a half to get over it. :(
That's how you know it worked ;)